• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Lovely splash of colour on the meadowlark, Chris, clean, bold and simply a stunner. Peter, your ruddy is a joy to behold, I miss these birds a lot, always a favourite of mine back in middle England.

Lovely splash of colour on the meadowlark, Chris, clean, bold and simply a stunner. Peter, your ruddy is a joy to behold, I miss these birds a lot, always a favourite of mine back in middle England.
Saves me typing the same!
Just to add Peter - the quality of light is becoming a very noticable trademark of yours - Bravo!

Peter, the ruddy duck is wonderful. And I couldn't agree more with Tim about your trademark. I hope you are finally on the upside of mending.

Chris, this is the absolute best forum for showing work. Not only is everyone supportive but the criticism is gentle and always spot on.

He makes me cheerful to see him, Chris, and I love the patterns in his feathers. Another one who's good at feet -- I'm terrible at them, I usually do my best to hide them!

Peter, always a delight to see the the next daily instalment. You might have answered this already, but how long do you spend on these *ahem* warmups?

Another one who's good at feet

Thanks for that Jomo...and glad you like the feather patterns - spent a lot of time on them.

Beth - I've always believed constructive criticism makes us stronger but it's rare to find so many people capable of offering it in such a caring manner.

When someone takes the time to give such well-defined and as you say 'spot on' feedback - they show that they care enough to make the time to do so...that is quite simply - wonderful!

Jomo-
I have been spending a bit more time on them recently, but usually not more than a couple of hours...

Here's another - a 5"x5" of a mallard pair in a marsh. These small paintings are really challenging me, but I feel freer to experiment with them...

Attachments

• Mallards.jpg
    Mallards.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 83
Very clever Peter. I wonder, are you using these small pieces, although very beautiful in their own right, as prep work for larger compositions? There's a wealth of material being developed via this mechanism. Very lovely.

Tim, I do plan on using some of these as larger paintings in the future. That is part of the fun is getting to experiment a bit more with what works and what doesn't:)

Here's today's of a golden-crowned sparrow...

Attachments

• Golden-Crowned Sparrow.jpg
    Golden-Crowned Sparrow.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 81
This is a beauty Peter - I love the softness of the background and the way the lines of the branches frame the sparrow...yet again you've managed to get the light just right...

Thank you all for the encouraging words! That's one of the bonuses of this forum. Got a really late start today, but here it is...another 4"x4".

Attachments

• Heron on Dock.jpg
    Heron on Dock.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 73
Ruby Throated Hummingbird Pair

Love the pose and the colours in this - and there you go again with the light thing Peter - wonderful!

Thought I'd toss the sketches of the hummers up before I got really cheesed off and tossed them out! Definitely out of practice - roll on the good weather so I can get back to sketching in the field...

Attachments

• ruby-throated-hummingbird-female.jpg
    ruby-throated-hummingbird-female.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ruby-throated-hummingbird-male.jpg
    ruby-throated-hummingbird-male.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 64
Peter, really love this last one. It just looks kind of fun.
Chris, your hummers are coming along nicely. I refuse to do them. I don't know why, I just like having something out there that I can refuse to do!

Wow! You guys are really amazing artists.
I used to draw and scetch all the time, but haven't lately. you guys have inspired me to begin again. Thank you.

Here is some of my old work...

Attachments

• birddrawing005.jpg
    birddrawing005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 71
  • birddrawing004.jpg
    birddrawing004.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 70
  • birddrawing001.jpg
    birddrawing001.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 66
Here is a quick painting of a Wilson's Phalarope I finish about 10 minutes ago.

This was really my first attempt with watercolor, or paint for that matter.

I would really love some advice, and tips on how to paint with watercolor.

Attachments

• birddrawing007.jpg
    birddrawing007.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back