• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (12 Viewers)

Popped out to Currie Tract at the crack of dawn this morning. Currie is one of the best local spots for rustling up warblers during migration (usually have a few good rarities turn up every spring), but even here there wasn't much going on warbler-wise. No Chestnut-sided Warblers! That was a surprise. Everyone's been saying the same thing this year -- just not seeing the numbers of migrants we usually do.

Did manage a few sketches, though. Scarlet Tanager (canopy birds, not often I get a good opportunity with these), Blue Jay, Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Blue-winged Warbler.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2010-05-16-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-05-16-1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 51
  • sketchbook 2010-05-16-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-05-16-2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • sketchbook 2010-05-16-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-05-16-3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 55
I think the migration is just off this year Jo. Most of the early migrants just never seemed to appear and then today someone saw a Blue-headed Vireo. It should have been through a month ago. But we've been getting Chestnut-sideds all week. I was on a count last weekend looking specifically for a Blue-winged. No such luck. So I'll be happy to trade one Chestnut-sided for one Blue-winged.

The only Rose-breasted Grosbeak I've seen is a female. I'm surprised not to have yet seen a male, though I thought I heard one this morning. But today was a really good day for birding. So my guess is that you'll soon be seeing a lot of birds soon as well, including some Black-throated Greens. I remember admiring your sketches of them from last year.

hell yes! the BWW is just full of the soft warmth of spring, and all the others are your usual excellent characters.

There you go - you don't have to be away from the forum for 6 months at a time! Fresh and crisp characterful sketches - right on the money! Love the blue-wing enormously.

Your work is wonderful, I love your sketches. Hopefully one day my sketches will look that good!

Will keep watching your threat! :)

some terrific sketches here, IMO Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Blue Jay are both so superb I can barely find words that will do them justice. It's a terrific pose of the Blue-winged Warbler and the tanagers look simply awesome, you managed to put so much detail in with so few pencil strokes, and the eyes are done to perfection!

Wonderful work as always Jomo, Blue Winged Warbler spring male, you lucky bugger!;)
Grosbeaks are just spot on. (love the tinted paper)

Economy of line, loads of character, superb observation - what more can I say, apart from awesome. I look forward to seeing much more of your stuff.

Russ

There I go again, another two months without stopping by. Only have time for a quick visit, so I'll have to catch up on threads later -- you folks have been busy!

Hit Grass Lake this morning. A Sandhill Crane coasted down to a nearby hilltop just after I arrived and bugled awhile. Just his head sticking up from behind the hill, and a small group of photographers appeared within a few minutes intent on some closeups, so I didn't bother to stick around for some sketches. No Bobolinks about today (looks like they mowed the fields a couple weeks ago), and I couldn't pin down the sole Grasshopper Sparrow I could hear singing in the fields, but lots of Savannahs about. A family of Bluebirds also brightened up my morning, climbing up and down the haybales in between begging Dad for food.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2010-07-17-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-17-1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 48
  • sketchbook 2010-07-17-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-17-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 40
  • sketchbook 2010-07-17-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-17-3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 42
  • sketchbook 2010-07-17-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-07-17-4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 44
'Z' - just toooo good Jo! These lines of yours - so descriptive and so confidently made. I never have one single doubt about the accuracy of the drawings and the sensitivity with which they are made. Beautiful.
Now - please see me after class for a serious detention for sparse attandance! ;)

Never seen your stuff before Jo.

Delighted to see it all for first time!

Fabulous and brilliant! Awesome sketchings!!!

You made my day in ways I cannot describe....

Fantastic!

as you've also been a very naught absentee from the forum, you'll have to accept that this latest batch is top notch and shows a great comfort with the bird, the eye and the pencil. Getting all three to match up in something so beautifully done is no mean feat.

Thanks, everyone! It's awful how little field sketching I've done this year ... and haven't picked up the paints in ages (can't blame it entirely on being busy, but I've gotten accustomed to the cyclical nature of my artistic fixations ... I'll get back into the swing of things eventually).

To answer your question, Colleen, I use Cachet "Earthbound" sketchbooks (one of the better tinted sketchbooks I've been able to find, not that there's much to choose from).

Jomo, boy do I know how that is... I mean having done too littel field sketching, and not having touched paints in ages.

Wonderful sketches again. :)

as you've also been a very naught absentee from the forum, you'll have to accept that this latest batch is top notch and shows a great comfort with the bird, the eye and the pencil. Getting all three to match up in something so beautifully done is no mean feat.

Lovely sketches Jo! Always nice to see sketches of sparrows.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back