• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kintyre Birds (1 Viewer)

Maps

Here are the Campbeltown - Machrihanish maps. Hope you find them useful.

Dave

Attachments

• tr 006.jpg
    tr 006.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 152
  • tr 007.jpg
    tr 007.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 163
Good Birding Spots 2

Right down at the southern end of the Kintyre peninsula is a cliff with a convenient car park right next to it. Fulmars breed on this cliff. If you look at the map the cliff in question is on the far left of the map between the car park (P sign) and the cemetery.

The thumbnails show 1) the fulmar cliff (centre of picture) from the road to the lighthouse at the Mull of Kintyre 2) a closer view of the cliff 3) a very bad photograph of a nesting fulmar.

To get there follow the B842 from Campbeltown or, for more spectacular views and perhaps more birding opportunities, follow the minor coast road eastwards from Campbeltown through Glenramskill and Feochaig to Southend and thence to the fulmar cliff (arrowed).

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=165000&Y=615000&A=Y&Z=5

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=168500&Y=608500&A=Y&Z=3

PS Ignore the arrows on the maps - they seem to have moved during posting. The position of the cliff can be determined as described above on the larger-scale photograph.

Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• pic 004.jpg
    pic 004.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Campbeltown trip (second visit) - Southend run, fulmar cliff.jpg
    Campbeltown trip (second visit) - Southend run, fulmar cliff.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 164
  • pic 007.jpg
    pic 007.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Right down at the southern end of the Kintyre peninsula is a cliff with a convenient car park right next to it. Fulmars breed on this cliff. If you look at the map the cliff in question is on the far left of the map between the car park (P sign) and the cemetery.

The thumbnails show 1) the fulmar cliff (centre of picture) from the road to the lighthouse at the Mull of Kintyre 2) a closer view of the cliff 3) a very bad photograph of a nesting fulmar.

Dave Kennedy

One of my favourite places Dave! There's usually a pair of ravens nest on the cliff too. In spring it can be a great place for migrants - wheatear, whinchat, warblers, s. flycatchers, etc. Lots of nesting ringed plover, oystercatchers, rock and meadow pipits, etc. A walk along the beach to the west (Carskey Bay) is good too - in winter you might get twite on the beach or the sandhills between beach and river. When I was last there in April there was a little trip of waders - dunlin and sanderling, some in summer plumage - on the beach. Where the river flows into the sea hundreds of gulls (terns too in summer) gather to bathe. Big numbers of shag build up off shore (the coast from Cambeltown to Southend can hold incredible numbers at times), passing seabirds, passing dolphins. Otters amongst the rocks . . . wish I was there now!

Jonathan

I'm asking anyone visiting Kintyre to record their sightings here. Slowly but surely we can build up a great record of Kintyre's birds. It's a great place to visit, with excellent birding.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Dave Kennedy

Good Birding Spots 3

THE LAGGAN

On the road from Campbeltown to Machrihanish, between Stewarton and Drumlemble, lies an area of farmland known as the Laggan. It runs south from Campbeltown Airport, across the Machrihanish road, and down to the foot of the hills in the south. These grassy fields, from October on, form a refuge for upwards of a thousand geese, many of which are Greenland White-fronts.

Here are some maps/aerial photos which will assist you.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=55.40799,-5.71023|13|8&loc=GB:55.4149:-5.7001:13|drumlemble|Drumlemble,%20Argyll%20~%20Bute

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=55.40799,-5.71023|13|4&loc=GB:55.4149:-5.7001:13|drumlemble|Drumlemble,%20Argyll%20~%20Bute

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=55.41561,-5.69366|14|4&dp=841&loc=GB:55.41561:-5.69366:14|east%20drumlemble|Drumlemble,%20Argyll%20and%20Bute,%20PA28%206

The first of these is a small-scale aerial photo in which you will see the airport in the north. The fields of the Laggan are clearly seen running south and south-east from the airport.

The second is a map showing Campbeltown, Stewarton, Drumlemble and Machrihanish.

The third is an Ordnance Survey map of the Laggan area. The geese are usually found in the following areas:

South of the airport between West Parkfergus, across first the Machrihanish Water and then the Campbeltown-Machrihanish road east of Drumlemble, and south-east past Ballygreggan to Balloch.

Greylags are frequently seen, and, with luck, there is a possibilty of Pinkfoot and Barnacle geese as well.

Other birds of interest in the area include merlin, golden plover, linnet and short-eared owl.

Eddie Maguire, Kintyre's birding guru, has noted the following rarities over twenty-five years:

Storm Petrel. Leach's Petrel, Bewick's swan, Garganey, Honey Buzzard, Hobby, March Harrier, Quail, Dotterel, Wood Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Temminck's Stint, Pomarine Skua, Long-tailed Skua, Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull, Little Gull, Little Auk, Nightjar, Kingfisher, Turtle Dove, Red-backed Shrike, Great Grey Shrike, Tree Sparrow.

I haven't been staring at the Laggan for the past 25 years, but I have in my few short visits so far managed to see the White-fronts, Greylags, Barnacle geese, Linnet, Golden Plover and Merlin. I might add that another interesting sighting in the Laggan area was a stoat killing a rabbit. That happened close to the main road, just at the junction with the farm road to West Machrihanish and West Parkfergus. The Laggan is well worth a visit on a rotten day in winter, and when you have finished there you can carry on to Machrihanish and Uisaed Point for some seawatching - and there the worse the weather, the better.

Last but not least, here is an aerial photo of Machrihanish and Uisaed Point which lies due west of the village - you should be able to find it no problem. Remember the Bird Observatory is at Uisaed Point, and should you find Eddie there, please say Hi. He will be delighted.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=55.42382,-5.73096|16|8&loc=GB:55.4149:-5.7001:13|drumlemble|Drumlemble,%20Argyll%20~%20Bute

By the way, when you open this photograph, click on the little chevron half-way down the left border of the picture. That will open it up completely, and you can see exactly how to drive through Machrihanish to Uisaed Point.

Try to obtain Eddie's book "Birds in Kintyre", possibly available in the Campbeltown bookshop, or through the Bird Observatory's website (below). It has lots of info about birding areas in Kintyre.

http://www.machrihanishbirds.org.uk/

Best wishes,

Dave Kennedy

Last edited:
The Approach of Autumn

Already the year has moved into its ninth month, and the nights have started drawing in. Fortunately for all us birders, things just get better and better as the year wears on. The sea ducks return, redshanks patrol the shores, and thousands of geese, by mid-October, will be arriving to spend their Christmas holidays in the Laggan and elsewhere on the peninsula. This is the time to get the winter woollies out and go birding. There is always the chance of a rarity, just to make a great time even more fun.

Here's a picture taken just beside the wee white cottage near Machrihanish (see earlier posts) on just the sort of day you want to be there to catch the strange ones coming in from the sea. That particular day brought me my very first longtailed duck.

Looking forward to hearing about your sightings

Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Storm, Machrihanish.jpg
    Storm, Machrihanish.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 121
Right, then, I'm going to be away and unable to post for 4 weeks from the 11th of September. If there is anyone visiting, or with knowledge of, Kintyre, please record your sightings and comments so that we can keep this thread active and in the forefront. It is a wonderful birding area, and well worth a visit.

Thank you

Dave Kennedy

Well, here I am, back from my holiday, and it would seem that no birder has visited Kintyre since the 8th of September. No worries, however - Kintyre is a fabulous area, and I am sure we will record some great sightings there. I am looking forward to your contributions

Dave Kennedy

Well, here I am, back from my holiday, and it would seem that no birder has visited Kintyre since the 8th of September. No worries, however - Kintyre is a fabulous area, and I am sure we will record some great sightings there. I am looking forward to your contributions

Dave Kennedy

Hi Dave,

I was in Argyll early September but I didn't do much birding in Kintyre and the weather was awful to be honest. Managed 36 bt divers in the Sound of Ghia one morning, twite at Macrihanish plus manxies and gannets out to sea. Found some not-so-wild wild goats at Tarbet around the ferry terminal - never seen them there before!

Bumped into David Kent leading a party of birders on Moine Mhor. His company, Great Glen Wildlife, now do a tour of Kintyre - see here for details.

I'm back again in a few weeks time, hopefully I'll manage to do a bit more birding in Kintyre.

Jonathan

Attachments

• goats.jpg
    goats.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 89
Jonathan, Hi,

And thank you for your post. Being based in South Africa, I have a hard time carrying out regular birding trips to Kintyre myself, and have been hoping that local birders will pick up the challenge and run with it, because I believe that Kintyre is an easily-identifiable entity offering great birding along with many other interests.

Thanks for the info re Moine Mhor - the Crinan-Bellanoch-Kilmartin area is another of my favourites. I shall check out Great Glen Wildlife - interesting to see that they are offering a tour of Kintyre. I have often seen twite at Machrihanish - not sure why, but Machrihanish is just about the only place I've seen twite.

Great to hear from you again

Best wishes,
Dave

I came across something interesting while researching Machrihanish on the Internet.

Apparently 101 years ago it was for a short time at the forefront of scientific endeavour, for in January 1906 Professor Reginald Fessenden of Washington DC sent the first transatlantic radio signals from Machrihanish to Boston.

In 1905 he built a huge tower at Machrihanish, just behind the current Marine Research facility and the Seabird Observatory at Uisaed Point. You can see in the old photograph the tall spindly tower, held up by steel cables anchored to huge concrete blocks in the ground. I have seen these blocks, which are still there, but until now had no idea what they were. The colour photo (not mine, I must add) shows one of the blocks, and beyond it the marine research facility, and beyond that again, on Uisaed Point itself, the Seabird Observatory, proudly flying its Scottish saltire.

Poor Fessenden was unable to repeat his success, which led to some people concluding that his results were due to freak weather conditions. Sadly, the tower blew down in December 1906, and that was the end of his work at Machrihanish.

Not about birds, I admit............but fascinating nonetheless.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Fessenden 7.jpg
    Fessenden 7.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Fessenden 4.jpg
    Fessenden 4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 89
Winter in Kintyre

The Greenland white-fronts should be well-established in their winter homes in Kintyre. Two areas in particular should be holding geese right now. THe first of these is the Laggan, the area of flat farmland between Campbeltown and Machrihanish. The B843 from Campbeltown to Machrihanish bears right at Stewarton, and crosses the Laggan. The village of Drumlemble is more or less central to the Laggan, and geese may be found on either side of the road.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|Drumlemble#t=l&map=55.415,-5.64017|14|4&loc=GB:55.415:-5.6939:14|Drumlemble|Drumlemble,%20Campbeltown,%20Argyll,%20Scotland,%20PA28%206

The second is near Tayinloan, starting point for the Gigha ferry. The fields between the A83 Campbeltown road and Rhunahaorine Point, a couple of kilometres north of Tayinloan, support a good population of wintering geese.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|Drumlemble#t=l&map=55.66342,-5.64017|14|4&loc=GB:55.415:-5.6939:14|Drumlemble|Drumlemble,%20Campbeltown,%20Argyll,%20Scotland,%20PA28%206

The two map URL's should help you with these locations.

Anybody living in or visiting Kintyre during the winter months - please report on geese sightings, and anything else of ornithological interest.

With thanks,
Dave Kennedy

PS - a nice little rock pipit from Machrihanish

Attachments

• Rock Pipit.JPG
    Rock Pipit.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 84
Anybody living in or visiting Kintyre during the winter months - please report on geese sightings, and anything else of ornithological interest.QUOTE]

If anyone has any information on winter geese at the Laggan (between Campbeltown and Machrihanish) or at Rhunahaorine Point (just north of Tayinloan), please post your observations.
Thank you,
Dave Kennedy

PS Any other birding info will be equally appreciated.

Hi to Ambriel and Neil Brown! I am really glad to see the two of you - both Kintyre residents - here on Birdforum. I have felt like a voice crying in the wilderness about Kintyre, and it deserves better.

Any comments for the record about geese currently on the Laggan or up at Rhunahaorine? What have the winter storms been bringing in?

I look forward to reading your posts.
Thank you and best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Twites in Kintyre

I have noticed, particularly in "My local Patch - Norfolk Birding" that twites are in demand, but quite hard to locate. If anyone seeking twites is in the Kintyre area, the immediate vicinity of the Seabird Observatory at Machrihanish is splendid for twites. For further information, please refer back first to post 14#, and then to the two maps below (note that post 14# also has pics of the Observatory, so you will at least know you have come to the right place). The arrow on the map pinpoints the Observatory.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=162795&Y=620945&A=Y&Z=4

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=163500&Y=620500&A=Y&Z=5

Happy twite-hunting!

And if you find any….please let us know!

Thank you,

Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Oystercatchers.JPG
    Oystercatchers.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Rock Pipit.JPG
    Rock Pipit.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 84
Neil Brown, "Kintyre Birds" is looking for local input! If you have any useful information, it would be great if you could share it with us!

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Dave

just note down a couple of things that jump to mind from the last wee while. There are a couple of iceland gulls hanging about the pier at the moment, a juv and 2cy get great views of both just by throwing out some bread. blackbirds and song thrushes in song now and thought i glanced a f blackbird carrying food in my garden yesterday, going to keep an eye out though most years will find young somewhere towards the end of feb. was up the gobbagrennan road a couple of days ago and most noticable was an apparent movement of mistle thrushs, counted a total of 129 in flocks of around 30, also seen 2 hen harrier and 5 buzzards. be looking out for the first wheatear in about 2 weeks, usually pick my first one up at the stinky hole by the dhorlin or past the shipyard on the other side of the loch. good flocks of lapwing and golden plover on the fields through the sound of kintyre, near langa quarry couple of hundred of each though was more than that before christmas.

had heart stopping fun couple of days ago when i thought i had found a black redstart at the new sewage works but was a combination of very bright low light and over active imagination that turned out to be a robin. one day....

am involved with the work for the new bird atlas at the moment and am out most days, also getting geared up to start the constant effort site out at the aros moss again this year, really looking forward to it

cheers for now

neil

Hi Dave

just note down a couple of things that jump to mind from the last wee while. There are a couple of iceland gulls hanging about the pier at the moment, a juv and 2cy get great views of both just by throwing out some bread. blackbirds and song thrushes in song now and thought i glanced a f blackbird carrying food in my garden yesterday, going to keep an eye out though most years will find young somewhere towards the end of feb. was up the gobbagrennan road a couple of days ago and most noticable was an apparent movement of mistle thrushs, counted a total of 129 in flocks of around 30, also seen 2 hen harrier and 5 buzzards. be looking out for the first wheatear in about 2 weeks, usually pick my first one up at the stinky hole by the dhorlin or past the shipyard on the other side of the loch. good flocks of lapwing and golden plover on the fields through the sound of kintyre, near langa quarry couple of hundred of each though was more than that before christmas.

had heart stopping fun couple of days ago when i thought i had found a black redstart at the new sewage works but was a combination of very bright low light and over active imagination that turned out to be a robin. one day....

am involved with the work for the new bird atlas at the moment and am out most days, also getting geared up to start the constant effort site out at the aros moss again this year, really looking forward to it

cheers for now

neil

Hi, Neil,
Great to hear from you on the forum with an update on Campbeltown's birds. Sorry about your redstart! Nice to hear about the iceland gulls. Any chance of a photograph? I'd like to get a look at one.
Would also like to know if there has been anything unusual in this winter's Laggan geese.
What do wheatears look for at the Dhorlin? I can only imagine that they don't have a great sense of smell. That place can be tough if the wind's wrong!

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

hi Dave

i do have a few photos of the iceland gulls and have tried to attach them but have failed, something to do with photo size, im not very computer literate i'm afraid, but my wife is a wiz kid on them and will get her to look at it as soon as she can.

on subject of photos maybe you can offer some advice, for many years i used a basic digital camera mostly to record birds in the hand when ringing, recently i got hold of a fugi finepix s5700, one of these superzoom cameras, which is great but has given me a real taste for photography and a hankering for a real digital slr but this is right out of my budget just now and have been considering getting a teleconvertor for the finepix, have you any experience or opinions on these lenses, would value your advice.

by the way forgot to mention the flock of snow buntings that are hanging around the dunes between machrihanish and westport biggest number i saw was 32 just before christmas but seen 11 last week and have had a few other reports from other people.

am doing the atlas work out on the laggan tomorrow and will give you a report on the geese and other birds of intrest after

cheers

neil

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back