• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kuwait Phylloscopus (1 Viewer)

ggregory71

I would be most grateful for any opinions about the identity of this Kuwait Phylloscopus with two wing bars. The photographs were taken recently by Rick Saval.

Attachments

• KuwPhy1.jpg
    KuwPhy1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 228
  • KuwPhy2.jpg
    KuwPhy2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 228
  • KuwPhy3.jpg
    KuwPhy3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 227
  • KuwPhy4.jpg
    KuwPhy4.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 113
I can't open your pictures and the thumbnail is very small. Yellow-browed springs to my mind, but I would like to see bigger pics.

André

Hi George,

Hope your keeping well!

The bird certainly looks like a yellow-browed type and appears to show obvious dark bases to the secondries and mottled ear coverts - pointing to yellow-browed rather than Hume's. It would be a lot easier if we could enlarge the pics though.

Cheers,

Stewart.

Dear all,
Nice to hear from you.
I hope these attached photos can be enlarged. Please excuse my attempts at the earlier attachments - I am struggling with the photo shop whatsits on my new laptop.
The bird looked like one of the Yellow-browed complex to me at first, and still does, but other opinions are always welcome.

Attachments

• TBGW_0001.jpg
    TBGW_0001.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 113
  • TBGW_0003.jpg
    TBGW_0003.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 131
The photos are a bit frustrating - do you have any that show the bill and tertials? I don't see any white on the tertials at all and I can't really see why it's not a Two-barred Greenish Warbler.

I have tried to upload two of the original photos in suitable form.
There was some discussion whether the bird was a Two-barred Greenish, but I don't know. Any further opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• KP2.jpg
    KP2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 85
  • KP1.jpg
    KP1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 88
Another vote for Yellow-browed. I would expect a Hume's to have a less distinct median covert wingbar, and a buffer-toned, duller supercilium. Two-barred Greenish can be ruled out for the reasons mentioned by CAU: the pics are a salutory reminder that the pale tertial fringes of a Yellow-browed can be hard to see even on images where one would expect to see a hint of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back