• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late butterflies 2021 (2 Viewers)

Wall Brown, Brown Argus, Clouded Yellow, Small Copper, Common Blue and Small Heath all on the wing here yesterday. Plus Red admiral and a very worn female Brown hairstreak on Friday.

Chris

Believe my latest? A Comma in Epping Forest yesterday Tuesday 2nd.
Funnily enough Ken I had one on Wednesday, my first here since August (although I did have a couple in England in late September)!

A good number of Clouded Yellows here this morning, along with Small White, Red Admiral, Wall Brown, Small Copper, Queen of Spain, Small Heath, Painted Lady and my first Eastern Bath White since the beginning of October.

Chris

Still getting Red Admiral in the garden on a daily basis, with 2 back on the first November, and Peacock a couple of times in the last week of October.

My only garden records of Comma and Small Copper in the garden this year were back in Sept/Oct.

Before this year, my latest ever butterflies in Lithuania were on 26 October some years ago, but a warm sunny spell (now over) smashed this record - Peacock, Brimstone and Comma on 30-31 October, then after trying for years and years finally saw November butterflies - eight Queen of Spain Fritillaries and one Small Copper on 1 November.

A while back, also had my latest ever Camberwell Beauty - one on 8th October

Last edited:
And some still say there is no such thing as global warming ...

(or even climate 'change')

First dates of emergence/bud break etc etc show patterns emerging (vernality?) but late dates probably just harder to show as not the same impetus to record historically.

And some still say there is no such thing as global warming ...
Lithuania's winters are certainly showing a general trend of becoming warmer, but I wouldn't read too much into this specific flush of late butterflies - in the many years of my observations, butterflies have always kept going till the last frost, generally somewhere between 15-25 October. Had the first frosts right in this window and, prior to these few days at the month's end, my last butterfly had been a Peacock on 17 October. Thus it was looking like my 2021 season was going to be a fairly early end by the standards of recent years. Has now turned very typically dull, wet and cool ... think my season is over.

Now if butterflies emerge again in December, ....

Still plenty of Clouded Yellows about here, plus three Small Coppers, Two Small Heaths, Queen of Spain and Red Admiral.

Also a Common Darter and several Eastern Willow Spreadwings.

Chris

Red Admiral in south Hants today (14/11).
Yes Perhaps my latest November Record of a fine looking specimen of a Red Admiral today in my back garden catching what heat it could capture from the sun on the yellow leaves still on the tree of my American black cherry.

I was just in southern Spain and I was surprised by how many butterflies were still active there, it's really nice - we even got a lifer in Sooty Blue.

I was just in southern Spain and I was surprised by how many butterflies were still active there, it's really nice - we even got a lifer in Sooty Blue.
Had to look this up as I couldn't recall the name. Seems it's a synonym for what I know as African Grass Blue & have seen in southern Spain & the Canaries.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back