• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lee Thickett (Troubador) - R.I.P. (2 Viewers)

My condolences and all my sympathy to Troubadouris and his family.
It is strange to share so many hours reading what I reckon must be hundreds upon hundred's of someone's posts, someone you don't actually know in person, but you end up feeling like someone familiar and close and oddly enough knowing some of his likes and dislikes and having the privilege of reading some of his very personal accounts with impressions of life. It was a privilege sharing this small corner of the Internet with you. May the earth be light on you.

Hello,

I am saddened to read of his passing. We exchanged notes on binoculars and other things. Lee knew more about my personal life than all but one member of the Forum. I will miss his sterling advice on binocular but I will miss his friendship even more.

In sadness,
Arthur

Last edited:
Oh wow, that was such a kind and helpful contributor to this place, can only imagine how he was irl. He'll surely be missed by his loved ones, his presence here will be missed too, by me for sure. Bless him.

Strength to all around him

Very sad news, I will miss you and your cheerful / positive contributions to this forum, and without a doubt away from this forum...!

Like others, I only knew Troubador through this forum but always enjoyed his many posts and he came across as a delightful person. RIP.

I was informed this morning that Lee died on Saturday, 11/25. Lee’s wife Aileen sent me an email earlier with this sad news.

Lee was my my ‘pen pal’ for the last decade. I talked to him several times per week via email. We became close friends. I really valued his friendship and I’m going to miss him dearly. I’ll never forget him. We had a lot of laughs. He was very supportive and helped me through some tough times. He was a special man, smart, funny and caring. He was loyal to his friends and family. He never really complained even when he was very ill. He had great character.
I’ll never have a friend like Lee again.

Thank you for your friendship, Lee.

R.I.P.
love, Beth

I'm sorry to hear about this.

I did not know him but have enjoyed and learned a lot from his many posts here, and he seems to have gained plenty of respect from a lot of people.

If any of his family and friends are reading this I give offer my sincere condolences.

M

I once posted a picture of sheep on the forum, and Lee immediately sent me a PM to correct an error in my text about the sheep. He didn‘t have a know-it-all attitude, just his way to say things correctly and precisely, and with good humour, for which we all appreciated him so much (he also specified his famous „you are never alone, with a sheep“ and told me that this wasn‘t about just any sheep, but: „…. This is why I say you are never alone, as long as there is a Scottish hill sheep, there is always some interesting behaviour.“). He did love his Scottish hills very much and let us take part in this love. May he find both his hills and his sheep on his last journey.

Nice to have some insight into his sheep signature line. For whatever reason, I never thought to ask him about that. On further reflection, while I completely expected this news, the reality has affected me more than I thought it might. Going to miss Troubadour.

This is very sad news indeed.

Rest in peace, Lee. Condolences to his wife, his family and his friends.

Hermann

Very sorry to read of Lee's passing. He seemed like a role model for how to live one's life properly.

In my vision of the afterlife, you relive your best experiences in time over & over, so I like to imagine that Lee has simply shifted to enjoying the Scottish coast full-time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back