• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 7x42 BA (2 Viewers)

I'd like to know your sincere opinions on the Leica Trinovid 7x42 BA's performance?
I haven't been able to find a 7x42 BA/BN yet, but having an 8x32BN which I'm probably going to keep in preference over my Ultravid HD+ version, I'd say the older models are still very viable choices. Do you already have one available or is this just preliminary research?

One criticism you may see regarding the BA models is lack of close focus when compared to the BN, but also offset by owners of the BA who seem to not share that concern, turning it into a user to user issue only.

I haven't been able to find a 7x42 BA/BN yet, but having an 8x32BN which I'm probably going to keep in preference over my Ultravid HD+ version, I'd say the older models are still very viable choices. Do you already have one available or is this just preliminary research?

One criticism you may see regarding the BA models is lack of close focus when compared to the BN, but also offset by owners of the BA who seem to not share that concern, turning it into a user to user issue only.
There's one available on eBay. Yeah, it is a preliminary research! 🙂

Sz.

Get the Leica if it is in good shape, at least it is built to seal out moisture unlike for example the Dialyt.

If that is the SLC you bought, you will be delighted - it is a "neu" i.e. the very last incarnation of the 7x42 SLC. I had the previous model for many years, and it was absolutely brilliant - easy view, great handling, good colour rendition and very tough. Unfortunately I found the weight a bit much for me particularly in challenging environments (hiking in jungle) and sold it for a Zeiss 7x42 FL - lower weight and slightly wider fov, but with soft edges.
Both are exceptional instruments, capable of years of trouble free service without any real reason to upgrade.
Here are a could of threads which may be of interest to you; 7x42’s; High end versus mid range (oldies but goodies) and Two great 7X42s...

Enjoy!

If that is the SLC you bought, you will be delighted - it is a "neu" i.e. the very last incarnation of the 7x42 SLC. I had the previous model for many years, and it was absolutely brilliant - easy view, great handling, good colour rendition and very tough. Unfortunately I found the weight a bit much for me particularly in challenging environments (hiking in jungle) and sold it for a Zeiss 7x42 FL - lower weight and slightly wider fov, but with soft edges.
Both are exceptional instruments, capable of years of trouble free service without any real reason to upgrade.
Here are a could of threads which may be of interest to you; 7x42’s; High end versus mid range (oldies but goodies) and Two great 7X42s...

Enjoy!
Looking forward to using it!
Thanks for your insight!
P.S.: what about the Leica 7x45 BA? Any experience?
Szabolcs

I'm not a 7x guy but the Leica (Trinovid or UV) is well liked here, as is the Zeiss FL (or Dialyt) with its wider field. The SLC seems to come in third but has an interesting/unique optical design -- search for threads about it here to learn more. I've never seen one and would be curious to.

So I have the Trinovid 7X42BN(not much different than the BA) and probably that exact Swarovski SLC 7X42 you bought. I like them both and both have their own unique characteristics. Both are made the "way they used to make them" which is top notch. They both tend to be a little heavier than current weight trends. Both have the same FOV. Both are excellent optically and I can't image one NEEDING a "better" binocular. One thing I'm not that crazy about is the way the BA/BN has some of the focus wheel contained in the binocular body. For me it makes the focus adjustment a little less user friendly and a little less instinctive. For that reason I had rather have that SLC. If I wanted a Leica 7X42 TOO, I'd probably watch for an Ultravid BR or HD. I think you'll be ELATED with the SLC!

fullsizeoutput_129d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1382.jpeg

One thing I'm not that crazy about is the way the BA/BN has some of the focus wheel contained in the binocular body. For me it makes the focus adjustment a little less user friendly and a little less instinctive.
fullsizeoutput_129d.jpeg
I've never thought about the access to focusing on my 8x32BN until I saw your post, and while I can see your point, all three (older Leitz, BN and Ultravid) that I tried just now seem very easy to focus, with possibly the highest ease (and smoothness) coming from the Leitz.

Since you've got all three as well (albeit in different magnifications), how do you like your oldest one there, which I'm assuming is the 7x35b?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back