• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UV 8x20 versus Zeiss Victory 8x25 (3 Viewers)

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

Both pairs arrived earlier this morning and I’ve had a chance to put them through their paces and right off the bat the Zeiss were immediately a much more comfortable viewing experience.

I’ve spent the last couple of hours toing and froing between them both, trying had to like the Leica’s more because of their wonderfully small dimensions, looks and case.

At the end of it all I just couldn’t find a comfortable viewing position even when fiddling with them to get the right eye placement with any ease. The Zeiss are also brighter, not much difference between the Nikon Monarch M7 8x30 and the Victory’s in that department. The Leica due their smaller objective lens are naturally dimmer…. It is very dull and grey outside as well.

The sharpness in the centre of the field goes to the Zeiss but towards the edges the Leica takes it by a hairs breadth. The Zeiss really do feel much like a 8x32, eye placement is easy as it suits may facial profile perfectly I can also operate them with ease one handed, a very important factor for me.

I think I’ve found the perfect binocular for my situation it’s tact sharp, much sharper than the Nikon’s throughout the FOV, I could pick out tiny individual rain drops on leaves some 50 meters away, I could also pick them out with the Leica’s, but not the Nikon’s.

Sadly the Leica’s will be returned I think the build quality is a notch up from the Zeiss but the awkwardness for me rules them out.

DitD,

A few suggestions and to repeat some of the excellent advice of others here for your comparison:

As you use crutches, compare whether either is better for one hand use including focusing. Highly individual, but for me, the VP is easier to use/focus with either hand (I am right handed).

With the UV I sometimes use both the index finger and the thumb on the underside to focus.

Experiment with adjusting the IP distance on the UV asymmetrically as others suggest. If you are right handed, extend the right barrel all the way out and adjust the left barrel only. This can make for quicker adjustment and may put the focus knob in a better position for you as well.

Avoid using a tight tight fitting case with the VP. As others mention this can cause the diopter to move out of adjustment or even come off.

if you pick the VP, I recommend getting a Rick Young harness to use instead of the Zeiss strap (no affiliation). If you want lens covers for the VP, I really like the Opticron products. Opticron also has objective covers that work well on the UV if you are inclined

If you find it hard to pick between the two, or if you are inclined to the UV based on smaller size, consider throwing the Curio into the mix.

Looking forward to the results of your comparison.

Mike
I’ll be adding the Rick Young harness thanks. What size of objective covers fits the Zeiss the best ?

Hi Neil

I literally just finished reading your highly informative review a moment ago. Always enjoy reading your thoughts and how easy you make it for novices like me to understand. The main thing for me bar the optical quality between the two, which appears to be minimal going of the reviews will be the handling and ease of use.
Good timing! And thank you for the feedback!

I just saw you finally had a chance to check the Leica and Zeiss VP out. I had a feeling you’d opt for the Zeiss.

It continues to impress me!

Wishing you lots of fun with your new acquisition!

Best wishes,

Neil

Hello Neil,

I read your review some time ago when I could have a new Victory for 550€. I didn't buy it. What put me off was that you said the E2 had a much more relaxed view. This was a very important piece of information for me. Thanks for your great reviews.
Thanks for the heads up!

Good timing! And thank you for the feedback!

I just saw you finally had a chance to check the Leica and Zeiss VP out. I had a feeling you’d opt for the Zeiss.

It continues to impress me!

Wishing you lots of fun with your new acquisition!

Best wishes,

Neil
Thank you Neil.

They’re the closest you can get to a x32 bino. They’re very immersive, no fiddling around for good eye placement and I’ve got large eyes/pupils. I find them incredibly bright for a pocket binocular, amazing how technology has advance so far over the years. My last outing with pocket binoculars was very uninspiring, these for me can replace a larger binocular, the Monarch M7 are no longer needed for sure.

I’ll be adding the Rick Young harness thanks. What size of objective covers fits the Zeiss the best ?

Glad you were able to make such a clear cut decision so quickly.

Unfortunately the Opticron objective covers I prefer do not have a part number stamped on the inside nor are they stamped "Opticron" on the outside like most of the other sizes. But that may be a way to identify them on the site. They are a snug fit but stay on reliably, pop off easily and are very sleek. Opticron do have covers in very gradually increasing size increments so more than one size may work depending on whether you prefer a snug or slightly loose fit.

You will likely be even more impressed with the VP "as time goes by".

Mike

Glad you were able to make such a clear cut decision so quickly.

Unfortunately the Opticron objective covers I prefer do not have a part number stamped on the inside nor are they stamped "Opticron" on the outside like most of the other sizes. But that may be a way to identify them on the site. They are a snug fit but stay on reliably, pop off easily and are very sleek. Opticron do have covers in very gradually increasing size increments so more than one size may work depending on whether you prefer a snug or slightly loose fit.

You will likely be even more impressed with the VP "as time goes by".

Mike
Thank you Mike.

I’m on it now. Im also looking for a microfibre bag so I can slip them inside my pocket protected.

OOPS! I just noticed that I probably have two versions of the same size, the newer one of which is stamped Opticron. See pic. The tabs are lower profile than other sizes which may be a way to id the one I use.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 3
Also looking for a rain guard, I’ve found one form Opticron ( again ) for compacts Code 31085. I can’t find any reviews on whether or not it fits the Victory’s and my well be a case of just taking a gamble.

Edit; Saw the one on Neil’s review but the one on Opticron’s site looks different.

Also looking for a rain guard, I’ve found one form Opticron ( again ) for compacts Code 31085. I can’t find any reviews on whether or not it fits the Victory’s and my well be a case of just taking a gamble.

Edit; Saw the one on Neil’s review but the one on Opticron’s site looks different.

31085 is just the ticket. Fits the VP like a bespoke glove. I think the pic posted by Dr. English is taken at an angle that makes it look much more "clunky" that it is in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back