• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Horseshoes roosting in the stable (2 Viewers)

Could this be it?

LOL - crossed posts:)

Last edited:
Yes that looks like it.

Also from this video can see a staple, top right, so it isn't attached to the BRM, unfortunately.
Nonetheless this has to be an improvement to bare BRM.

For fitting, maybe use cable ties to attach mesh to two slim battens. Battens just at top & bottom of each length and then fix battens to structure,.mesh is flush against BRM. ( Can't staple gun mesh directly to BRM against slate)

My instinct would be to fully cover the BRM with some strong material then attach the plastic grip mesh to that. It would be a disaster if the claws protruded through the mesh and still got caught in the BRM.
I think the featured mesh is stapled to painted timber which could be difficult to grip and may exaggerate the attractiveness of the mesh - if BRM covered the underside of the roof there might be a different distribution pattern of roosting bats.
I must admit I know nothing about LHS bats but as an example of the seemingly impossible spaces bats can get into, when we lived in France, I once found a length of copper pipe stored in my workshop which had something blocking it, when I blew down the pipe to my amazement a tiny bat popped out (good job I didn’t suck) the pipe was 16mm diameter!
We have what I take to be maternity roosts in the small gap between the slates and the felt and I’ve heard bats on the “wrong side“ of the felt in other roofs.
Thanks for the link to the database - for some reason (maybe our incredibly slow internet) I can’t get it to open, it just times out. I’ve used the National biodiversity Atlas several times and there are hardly any records where we are - which doesn’t really surprise me as we’re really tucked away here.

Last edited:
My instinct would be to fully cover the BRM with some strong material then attach the plastic grip mesh to that. It would be a disaster if the claws protruded through the mesh and still got caught in the BRM.
I think the featured mesh is stapled to painted timber which could be difficult to grip and may exaggerate the attractiveness of the mesh - if BRM covered the underside of the roof there might be a different distribution pattern of roosting bats.
I must admit I know nothing about LHS bats but as an example of the seemingly impossible spaces bats can get into, when we lived in France, I once found a length of copper pipe stored in my workshop which had something blocking it, when I blew down the pipe to my amazement a tiny bat popped out (good job I didn’t suck) the pipe was 16mm diameter!
We have what I take to be maternity roosts in the small gap between the slates and the felt and I’ve heard bats on the “wrong side“ of the felt in other roofs.
Thanks for the link to the database - for some reason (maybe our incredibly slow internet) I can’t get it to open, it just times out. I’ve used the National biodiversity Atlas several times and there are hardly any records where we are - which doesn’t really surprise me as we’re really tucked away here.
Hi Torchepot
Covering the BRM with what? Has to be something which doesn't stop the BRM being 'breathable'. Back to square one.

The LHS are still using the same spot as a roost. Now, seems to be a pattern of using it on every other night, but the numbers are dropping. Sometimes it's only 2 LHS bats there in the daytimes.

It took a while for the bat detector( Magenta5) to arrive and get a couple of evenings without rain. I've made two attempts with it at dusk. Do you have or use one there for your resident bats?
On each occasion I am picking up multiple different bats. If I was a beatbox champion or a drummer it might be easier to interpret ;)
I stuck to the area near that stable because it's complicated enough without wandering around.
Apart from the LHS I am getting one of the pippistrelles and some unknowns - something in the upper 30s and something else which persists at 32 kHz. ( Am recording the Magenta's detections onto my phone and speaking the kHz into the phone to later enable me to compare the recordings to examples which are online)
Complicated.

BTW I wonder why there isn't a standalone All-GB ( or UK- wide) bat discussion forum ? Or if anybody has found one

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back