• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Whitethroat - which race? (1 Viewer)

Pretty sure this one isn't an Orphean Warbler:-;

You'll probably be not too disappointed, with the general consensus on this one!

I would say It's probably impossible to tell...here are some shots of a (very well marked Sep/late October bird, that was feeding in the tree canopy, central London last year.

Cheers

Attachments

• LWBest Shot L2R Oct. 2012.jpg
    LWBest Shot L2R Oct. 2012.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 40
  • LW best grab to date  Oct 2012.jpg
    LW best grab to date Oct 2012.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 44
  • LWhtrt.Sep.27th 2012.jpg
    LWhtrt.Sep.27th 2012.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 46
  • LWhitethroat Sep.2012 front on no.2 ..jpg
    LWhitethroat Sep.2012 front on no.2 ..jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 42
I suspect your right in that you can't attribute it to minula or halimodendri, but suspect in theory nominate can be ruled out. Yours presumably is a standard curruca (distinct mask, no evidence of white on tail or brown extending up nape etc.)? I'm no expert though

I think an open tail shot to get the extent of the white would be needed but blythi is the default now it has been reinstated. halimodendi a rare vagrant (the presumed minulas of the past) with minula being pretty unlikely.

Thanks James. I'd forgotten about Martin Garners blog post and the paper he cited, but just read it and like you he suggests blythi is the default 'eastern' (which is what I now suspect this bird is). Will need to look into it a bit more as it appears the goal posts keep shifting:)

It didn't call Jane

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back