• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold 12x50 (1 Viewer)

thebbqguy

United States
I am shopping for some binoculars. I had picked out the Leupold BX4 10x42. My brother in law told me he'd get 10x50 instead.

What about 12x50? Are they too much for bird watching?

I am shopping for some binoculars. I had picked out the Leupold BX4 10x42. My brother in law told me he'd get 10x50 instead.

I think that depends very much on the habitat you are birding. The steadiness of view and field of view are going to be less in a 12x vs 10x. Generally speaking the same is true for 10x vs 8x. And 8x vs 7x and so on.

Because of that, if one is briding in a dense forest habitat, a 12x would not be best, a 7x would imo. However, birding in wide open country or scanning over large bodies of water, I would choice a 12x.

For me, 10x is better all around compromise AS LONG as it has a larg field of view for a 10x, around 340ft / 1000yds.

Most people go with 8x, which generally gives a more steady view and wider field of view. However, there have been a few times I could ID a small bird in the distance with a 10x, that I could not with an 8x.

With that said, a 7x is my favorite for simply viewing enjoyment.

Thank you. I spend a lot of time near water looking on the water and at the opposite shoreline while fishing.

My brother in law is more of an expert level birder, hunter, and conservationist (retired assistant regional manager with U.S. Fish and Wildlife and current executive manager of Tennessee River Gorge in Chattanooga). He has multiple Swarovski models from 7x 8x and 10x.

His budget is also a little bigger. LOL.

I wear glasses and use binoculars with and without them.

I have some basic 7x Vivitar that are 20 years old. They are heavy but pretty effective for very occasional use. Surprisingly so actually, but my needs are now different. I no longer use photography equipment for bird watching as before, so I need much better binoculars.

I am considering Leupold and Zeiss models only for the most part. Originally I was focused on Zeiss Terra but many reviewers really like the Leupold BX-4.

Maybe I should stretch for the Zeiss Conquest and call it a day. Versus the Leupold, are the Zeiss durable? How is the Zeiss warranty?

Updated: I just now ran across a thread about the Conquest binoculars that did not reflect well on the build quality of the Conquest models.

My understanding is that the Leupold warranty is excellent.

Last edited:
Thank you. I spend a lot of time near water looking on the water and at the opposite shoreline while fishing.

My brother in law is more of an expert level birder, hunter, and conservationist (retired assistant regional manager with U.S. Fish and Wildlife and current executive manager of Tennessee River Gorge in Chattanooga). He has multiple Swarovski models from 7x 8x and 10x.

I have some basic 7x Vivitar that are 20 years old. They are heavy but pretty effective for very occasional use. Surprisingly so actually, but my needs are now different. I no longer use photography equipment for bird watching as before, so I need much better binoculars.

I am considering Leupold and Zeiss models only for the most part. Originally I was focused on Zeiss Terra but many reviewers really like the Leupold BX-4.

Maybe I should stretch for the Zeiss Conquest and call it a day. Versus the Leupold, are the Zeiss durable? How is the Zeiss warranty?

Updated: I just now ran across a thread about the Conquest binoculars that did not reflect well on the build quality of the Conquest models.

I have the Tract Toric 10x42. I recommend it. I believe it will be a better binocular than the Leupold BX-4 and Zeiss Conquest. It is highly regarded by many as one of the best binos for the money in the sub alpha category. Lifetime warranty and perfect customer service if needed.

If you can swing that $1000 range you have lots of great choices in probably the best bang for the buck categories in optics and build quality imo, and allows you to not support CCP/MIC, which I believe everybody should be thinking twice about. Nikon MHG, Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid HD, Vortex Razor all excellent.

Hello thebbqguy,

Yes. The magnification is too high for steadiness without a monopod or other support; the field of view is too narrow for general use. I do have a 12x50, which I have used on a monopod in very open terrain.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

I am trying g to stay under $750. I think $499 - $750 is the sweet spot for what I can justify spending
Vortex Razor HD , excellent and made in the Philippines. I think B&H still has a sale on them. You could find the others I mentioned here for sale used in your price range. A lot of good sellers here and on cloudynts.

I am trying g to stay under $750. I think $499 - $750 is the sweet spot for what I can justify spending
Vortex Razor HD , excellent and made in the Philippines. I think B&H still has a sale on them. You could find the others I mentioned here for sale used in your price range. A lot of good sellers here and on cloudynts.
Tract Toric is right around $750, made in Japan. I've read a few different people comment it is better optically than the Vortex Razor.

Paul what do you think?

Tract Toric is right around $750, made in Japan. I've read a few different people comment it is better optically than the Vortex Razor.

Paul what do you think?
I havnt personally tried them, but I’ve heard good things as well. A lot of good features here and they are MIJ. They’ve only been around for about 7-8 years, so that’s always something in the back of my mind. The stats on the 8x42 , FOV is a little tight by most current standards, but the 10x is much better.

thebbqguy,

You could always buy both and return the one you like less. I just did that with some other binos I was trying to decide between. Then, if you'd like, can report back why you chose the one you did.

Last edited:
I think the Vortex Viper probably fits my budget better. But I went looking for Meopta APO and ran across Meopta MeoPro HD Plus 10x42.

Prices on the 10x42 Viper, MeoPro and BX-4 are all pretty comparatively priced.

I think the Vortex Viper probably fits my budget better. But I went looking for Meopta APO and ran across Meopta MeoPro HD Plus 10x42.

They’re all about the same optically and in build quality. Vortex has the best warranty out there, no questions asked, they fix or replace. They’ll all do the job quite nicely, it all comes down to which feel better in your hands. Let us know what you choose.

Paul

May want to consider which ever has the widest field of view, unless there's something about that one you really don't like. Off the top of my head, I believe the Viper has a narrow field of view. Not sure on the others. You can easily look up FOV on each one.

They’re all about the same optically and in build quality. Vortex has the best warranty out there, no questions asked, they fix or replace. They’ll all do the job quite nicely, it all comes down to which feel better in your hands. Let us know what you choose.

Paul
Thanks for all the discussion to help me decide on binoculars. I just submitted my order for a pair of GPO Passion ED 10x42mm demos rated as "A". Full warranty and 20% discount. The review on this forum sold me and I decided I've held off long enough. LOL.

Thanks for all the discussion to help me decide on binoculars. I just submitted my order for a pair of GPO Passion ED 10x42mm demos rated as "A". Full warranty and 20% discount. The review on this forum sold me and I decided I've held off long enough. LOL.
Cant go wrong with that , GPO great glass and nice deal, enjoy and let us know how you like them. I was just trying to give you every suggestion and option i could think of to sway you away from MIC, oh well. ;)

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back