• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light, straight, and wide angle spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Fedster

Finland
Hello, I am looking for a light (~1kg), straight, and wide angle spotting scope. The Kowa 554 fails the wide angle, otherwise I would consider it. The closest thing to what I am looking for is a Optolyth Mini BGA/WW 25x70mm, but the optical quality (lack of ED glass), and the low light transmission are not exactly inspiring me to buy it (check https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/wp-c...-reis-en-rugzak-telescopen-def-april-2016.pdf for details). The Meopta TGA 30xw might be a bit better (still no ED glass), but it is 50% heavier.

Hi,

I'm a bit in a hurry... but at 1kg there's a lot of options... Opticron MM3 ED (used only) or MM4 ED in either 50 or 60mm with either fixed or zoom EP (the zoom will be nice and wide at the top and mag of 36x for 50mm or 45x for 60mm), Nikon Fieldscope 50 ED with any of the really good wide angle fixed EPs, Kowa 604/614 with 30wide (body only used).

Joachim

Thanks!

The MM4 ED is interesting, but the FOV at 15x is 46.5, vs the 50 metres at 25x for the Optolyth! (the info about the Opticron ocular is from here: Opticron SDL v3 zoom eyepiece - 41270 The Birders Store). The ED50 with the 20x Wide MC is on the other hand a possibility. Too bad about the Opticron because I like to use the scope at dawn/dusk, and the 60mm objective is nice...
Check out the Opticron fixed wide angle eyepieces 40810 and 40831. They might suit your requirements.

Hi,

as Richard pointed out... use the fixed wide offerings with the 60mm MM4...

Part number 40810 for 17x and a 62m tfov or part number 40831 for 23x with at least 45m tfov if we assume the same 60 deg afov as for the 40810... although the former 16mm offering with part number 40809 had 67 deg afov which would result in 51m...

PS: both are 150g so together with the 60mm straight body at 720g you get well under 900g.

Joachim

Last edited:
You may benefit from the evaluation of spotting scopes on this website: //www.backcountrychronicles.com/llightweight-spotting-scope-reviews-comparison/

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back