• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

Publication dates "Analyse d'une nouvelle ornithologie élémentaire" de Vieillot. I am just wondering if this is an error in Avibase Avibase - The World Bird Database There is written he book was published between 1811 and 1816 but only this two entries are not from 1816

Cassicus1811
Vanellus1815

Vanellus Brisson, 1760 seems anyway not Vieillot (even if we find the name p. 55) ODs t.1 (1760) - Ornithologie, ou, Méthode contenant la division des oiseaux en ordres, sections, genres, especes & leurs variétés - Biodiversity Heritage Library and t.5 (1760) - Ornithologie, ou, Méthode contenant la division des oiseaux en ordres, sections, genres, especes & leurs variétés - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Caccicus Vieillot, 1816 seems to be a synonym to Cacicus Lacépède, 1799 Discours d'ouverture du Cours d'histoire naturelle (not sure why Ilgner, 1811 Cacicus (Cassicus) (Cassicus sp. (Cacicus)) - Avibase

I would go the whole book is 1816. Is this correct?

This situation about Curruca heineken is puzzling me.

The description quoted above fits the melanistic morph, which is know to occur in Madeira. However, heineken is nowadays used for the "normal" Blackcap in the region (and on mainland Iberia).

Furthermore, there is a reference somewhere else to a C. a. obscura, which would also refer to the dark morph, although this name is no longer used.

Any comments on this subject would be mostly appreciated.

Proof Curruca heineken was dark morph. In the original descrition there is a footnote "
Cypselus unicolor and Curruca Heineken will be figured in the Sixth
Part of Ornith. Illust. by Sir W. Jardine and P. J. Selby, Esq."
Here is that:
v.2 (1826-1835) - Illustrations of ornithology - Biodiversity Heritage Library . Looks like a dark morph.
S. a. obscura was from Greece.
v. 25 (1918) - Novitates zoologicae - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Der vollständige Vögelsang - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Birds of the World has S. a. obscura as Mediera. As well as in the OD of S. a. pauluccii.
Avicula .
S. a. obscura Tschudi 1901 :9, 1901 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Last edited:
The description quoted above fits the melanistic morph, which is know to occur in Madeira. However, heineken is nowadays used for the "normal" Blackcap in the region (and on mainland Iberia).

heineken is used for all Blackcaps in the region. The melanistic birds are not regarded as forming a separate taxon -- any name that applies to them also applies to non-melanistic birds from the same areas.

Here is what Bannerman & Bannerman (1965) say about obscura and heineken.

So, he 'preferred' Sylvia atricapilla obscura Tschudi 1901
...to Curruca heineken Jardine 1830

...but he noted himself that :
This does not meet with the approval of hide-bound taxonomists.

If a name was proposed expressly to denote an 'aberrant' individual, this name will be deemed proposed at a rank below that of subspecies, and the names of infrasubspecific entities are excluded from the scope of the Code (ICZN 1.3.4) -- such a name would be regarded as unavailable. But a name that was proposed for a form then treated as a species (as was the case of heineken) falls within the scope of the Code, and must be treated as any other name for the purposes of priority and homonymy. Jardine's heineken has 71 years of precedence over Tschudi's obscura : if their respective types are regarded as being part of the same species-group taxon, heineken must be the valid name of this taxon, and obscura must stay in synonymy. The fact that the type of heineken presented characters 'uncommon' in this taxon, while that of obscura was more 'standard', is immaterial.

Incidentally, Sylvia atricapilla obscura Tschudi 1901 has two senior primary homonyms : Sylvia obscura King 1827 (v.3=no.9-12 (1827:Jan.-1828:Apr.) - The Zoological journal - Biodiversity Heritage Library -- a synonym of Scytalopus magellanicus (Gmelin 1789)) and of Sylvia obscura Smith 1847 ([v.2 Aves] - Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa - Biodiversity Heritage Library -- a synonym of Hippolais icterina (Vieillot 1817)); it can thus in principle not be used at all. Additionally, in the broad genus Sylvia that was used by B&B, it was a junior secondary homonym of Curruca obscura Brehm 1855 (Der vollständige Vögelsang - Biodiversity Heritage Library ), which again made it invalid.

... Is this a second edition? If yes where can we find the 1811 edition. ...
I would think so, Martin, see the Title page, of the same volume/issue (here): "... MDCCCXI. EDIT. MDCCCXXXI." ;)

First Edition, of 1811 = here (with "STERNA hybrida" here).

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. In between there's also yet another, a Second edition (1826) of Pallas's Zoographia Rosso-Asiatica.

Last edited:
Martin, even if not asked for, simply posted as I got curious, and had a look at ...
First Edition, of 1811 = here (with "STERNA hybrida" here).
Note that Pallas's "STERNA hybrida" (of 1811) only have one single reference: "Larus cinereus fissipes, Marsil. Danub. V. tab. 44" [*], which takes you (and us all) back, way back (into Pre-Linnaean/pre-1758 times), to the Book Danubius Pannonico-Mysicus, ... Tomus quintus (from 1726), a k a De avibus Danubialibus, Tomus V, and Plate (Tabula) 44, here (and its text here). Alt. (all of it) here.

Hopefuly of some use/help?

/B

*Also compare with (the invalid) "STERNA fissipes" itself, listed as No.396 by Pallas (1811) above [which, as far as I can tell, seems to be a synomym of today's Black Tern Chlidonias niger LINNAEUS 1758 (as "Sterna nigra")].

According Avibase Chlidonias hybrida (Pallas, 1811) OD v.2 (1831) - Zoographia Rosso-Asiatica - Biodiversity Heritage Library

But this volume seems to be from 1831. Is this a second edition? If yes where can we find the 1811 edition. Or was it published in several parts?

As I understand things, technically, it's not really a second edition.
The text was printed in 1811, but most copies were distributed 20 years later, at which time a new title page dated "MDCCCXXXI" was produced and substituted to the original one. The texts of the volumes dated MDCCCXI and MDCCCXXXI are from the same print run.
See, e.g., my post #13 upthread.

Last edited:
Here it is :
Cheers, L -
A follow up question: the information I had was "Turdus rubripes, Temminck Nouv Rec. Pl Col. 2, 69 livr, 1826, pl 409". Is the number of the Livr and the publication year of the same correct?
thanks
Niels

A follow up question: the information I had was "Turdus rubripes, Temminck Nouv Rec. Pl Col. 2, 69 livr, 1826, pl 409". Is the number of the Livr and the publication year of the same correct?
The number of the livraison is indicated in the footer of the first page of the text, and is indeed 69.
This livraison was reported in Bibliographie de la France on 28 Oct 1826 -- Bibliographie de la France -- which is usually accepted as its date of publication.

Thanks All, in BHL there is a page stating that this was published in 4 parts and that the pages I am interested in would be part 2. There is also an overall cover page stating 1823. So were all parts published that year, or how does this look for part 2? Specifically pages 646-47

The title pages were added at the end of the publication process (which started much earlier, in 1790 -- 1823 was the year of publication of the very last portion of the work).

Evenhuis 2003 dated pp. 529-848 of the Ornithologie to 6 Jul 1822. (Based on #3134 in : Bibliographie de la France.)

Hello there I am looking for Volume 55, Suppl.: Ann. Orn. 3 of Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin. Zoologisches Museum und Institut für Spezielle Zoologie (this is now Zoosystematics and Evolution) Volume 54 and 57 are available (behind a paywall) but no 55. Any suggestions would be welcome. Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back