• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

Hello there I am looking for Volume 55, Suppl.: Ann. Orn. 3 of Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin. Zoologisches Museum und Institut für Spezielle Zoologie (this is now Zoosystematics and Evolution) Volume 54 and 57 are available (behind a paywall) but no 55. Any suggestions would be welcome. Paul

Stephan's paper ?
I don't think it's anywhere online, unfortunately. (It is certainly still under copyright. The only website that appears to have older, but still copyrighted volumes of this journal is Wiley's, but some volumes are indeed missing there, including this one. And, as the journal passed to Pensoft in 2014, where it is now published open-access, it's quite uncertain that Wiley will ever make any significant effort to complete their collection.)

For years I am looking for some older papers and hope somebody can help me yo those (if possible as a pdf):

Karlheinz Fischer, 1983
Möwenreste (Laridae, Charadriiformes, Aves) aus dem Mitteloligozän des Weisselstar Beckens (Bezirk Leipzig, DDR)
Wissenschaftliche Zeitschrift der Humbolt-Universität zu Berlin, Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Reihe 31: 151-153

Karlheinz Fischer, 1990 Naturalis
Der Hühnervogel Pirortyx major (Gaillard, 1939) aus dem Marinen Mitteloligozän bei Leipzig (DDR)
Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 66, supplement: Annalen für Ornithologie (14): 133-136

Karlheinz Fischer, 2003
Weitere Vogelknochen von Diomedeoides (Diomedeoididae, Procellariiformes) und Paraortyx (Paraortygidae, Galliformes) aus dem Unteroligozän des Weißelsterbeckens bei Leipzig (Sachsen)
Mauritiana 18: 387-395

Thanks in advance

Fred

Karlheinz Fischer, 2003
Weitere Vogelknochen von Diomedeoides (Diomedeoididae, Procellariiformes) und Paraortyx (Paraortygidae, Galliformes) aus dem Unteroligozän des Weißelsterbeckens bei Leipzig (Sachsen)
Mauritiana 18: 387-395

This one is here :
I don't readily find the other two either.

(Wiley has Vol. 66 of Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin, but lacks the ornithological Supplementheft.)
(Note that the title of the first one seems to be "Möwenreste (Laridae, Charadriiformes, Aves) aus dem mitteloligozänen Phosphoritknollenhorizont des Weisselsterbeckens bei Leipzig (DDR)". Or at least this is how it is cited in other publications.)

Last edited:
Is the original version of the AOU checklist version 7 (1998) available for viewing anywhere?
thanks
Niels

Thanks. I had only been able to find a version where changes from all the supplements had been incorporated.
Niels

I assume the article from Takatsukasa Nobusuke starts here v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library and ends here v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library

But what's the title of the article? I ask as I am not able to read japanese. I stumbled over it as I was looking for Picus awokera horii which is wrongly referenced on https://www.zoonomen.net/cit/OD/OD06d02.html as OD is on page 442 and not on p. 422 here v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

I assume the article from Takatsukasa Nobusuke starts here v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library and ends here v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library

But what's the title of the article? I ask as I am not able to read japanese. I stumbled over it as I was looking for Picus awokera horii which is wrongly referenced on https://www.zoonomen.net/cit/OD/OD06d02.html as OD is on page 442 and not on p. 422 here v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Although I don't really read Japanese either, I think the article starts on p. 338 v. 30 (1918) - Dobutsugaku zasshi - Biodiversity Heritage Library. It ends you p. 444 as you suggest.
The title is 鹿兒島縣下の鳥類, which means something like Birds from the Kagoshima Prefecture, and is written vertically on the right side of p. 338.
The name of the author in Japanese is 鷹司信輔, and appears below the title, also vertically and on the right side of the page.

(The text within a column is read downwards; the columns are read from right to left; where the page is divided in two halves, the upper half is read before the lower half. In a physical book, the pages are also read from right to left, i.e., starting with what we would make the last page and ending with what we would make the first page. (Anyone used to read manga will be familiar with this.) I think it would have been helpful if they had respected that convention, and arranged the pages vertically in the order in which they are to be read -- having to go up each time you reach the bottom of a page is really counter-intuitive. But they chose to do it the other way around...)

Last edited:
For the Philosophical Magazine and Annals of Philosophy report, there is evidence that it existed as a published work on 6 Feb 1830; plus, arguably, a stated date of 1 Feb 1830.
For the Edinburgh Journal of Natural and Geographical Science note, so far, we only have a stated date "February", which for nomenclature purposes, should mean 28 Feb 1830, and a statement that implies that part of the text was written before 4 Feb, but does not establish unambiguously when it was published.

If things remain as they are, the Philosophical Magazine and Annals of Philosophy should be given precedence.

(If precedence can really not be decided (i.e., two works are published on the same day, or on an undetermined day of two periods ending on the same day), you need a published first reviser act.)
I see that in the Poyser monograph Bewick's Swan (2006, page 20), Eileen Rees says the OD was this:
While this paper was read on 19 January 1830, it was evidently published later in the year so cannot be the OD. But which earlier paper is?

Last edited:
But which earlier paper is?
Unless contrary evidence surfaces, I'd go with Philos. Mag., 7: 146, dated to 1 Feb 1830 based on the information appearing on the wrappers.

It was evidently published later in the year so cannot be the OD.
Raphael 1970 wrote:
Volume 16, part 2, pp. 151-454, plates 16-25, 1830
MBLS 22 May 1830. ‘The Secretary having reported that Vol. XVI part II of the Society’s Transactions including 10 plates is now ready for publication, ordered that the same be advertized in the usual papers for publication on the 24th instant, and that the selling price be £2.’
Times 27 May 1830, p. 1, col. 2. ‘Linnean Society.-Just published, price £2, the Second Part of Volume XVI, of the Transactions of the Linnean Society of London.’
("MBLS" = Minute Books of the Linnean Society.)
Thus, ready but demonstrably not published yet on 22 May 1830; demonstrably published on 27 May 1830.

Histoire Naturelle (Buffon; Didot edition by Daudin). Plotus rufus [now Anhinga rufa], '14: 319, 1802' - I can't find this; the version(s) at BHL have different volume number / publication date combinations

Any details, please?
I cannot find a complete citation of the work including Daudin that I would like to add to my bibliography. H&M indicates Pelecanus aquila is the type species of Fregata by subsequent designation by Daudin, 1802.

I cannot find a complete citation of the work including Daudin that I would like to add to my bibliography. H&M indicates Pelecanus aquila is the type species of Fregata by subsequent designation by Daudin, 1802.

Subsequent monotypy, not subsequent designation.

Lacépède BG de, Daudin FM. 1802. Tableaux des sous-classes, divisions, sous-divisions, ordres et genres des oiseaux. Pp. 197-346 in: Buffon GLL de. 1799. Histoire naturelle. Quadrupèdes. Tome quatorzième. P & F Didot, Paris.

p. 317 :t.38=[Quadrupedes] t.14 (1799) - Histoire naturelle - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Users who are viewing this thread

Back