• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of Lowes Ospreys 2007 (1 Viewer)

We were up at LoL on 1st July and took tons of pictures. Here's one with Dad landing back on the nest with Mum and the chicks waiting for grub.

Attachments

• _MG_8006.jpg
    _MG_8006.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 87
Just peeped at the cam and both chicks and mum are still there ?

They are looking good and perched on the sides of the nest.I thought this was live ? Help.

Hi Ann

Was up there today and the chick that fledged yesterday had left nest before 11:30 was still not back before we left around 16:00. No one there seemed concerned but as it is still not back yet and we have seen the other one fed at least 3 times, I am becoming a bit concerned as I believe Osprey's return to nest for sometime while being taught to fish. Can anyone confirm?

PS sorry forgot to say the other chick flew a couple of circuits with some ropey landings it was good to see "live"

Last edited:
Great all's well the wanderer returned 20:30 and was punished by mother staying away for a change until about 22:00.

Me again have now resized a couple of shots I got today of the second fledgling coming in for one of its earlier landings. Photos taken at extreme range and had to include some digital boosting so sorry about quality.

Attachments

• Well done.jpg
    Well done.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 65
  • oh Mum didnt I do well!.jpg
    oh Mum didnt I do well!.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hi Mad-BMS,

Thanks for the photos and info. That bird is obviously going to be an adventurer and mum is worrying, as they all do. I am glad I wasn't seeing things and one had gone flying.

Don't apologise for the quality of your photos they are fabulous. I only take shots of garden birds and they are a blur even when they pose for me.

I have been watching the cam for some time just now and mum is lying down facing the chicks (unusual) and is obviously still not best pleased with the adventurer she has never taken her eyes off it and her eyes say it all. That is why I am an Osprey fanatic it is their eyes and face masks, Eagles don't have them.

Thanks again, but it was a relief seeing it back.

Ann
The Osprey Fanatic

I have been watching the cam for some time just now and mum is lying down facing the chicks (unusual) ....
but it was a relief seeing it back.

Hi Ann

Agree she was looking at them differently last night, I guess our 16-18 years development goes quick in 1 summer for them. We were glad to see them back as a group, my wife was saying that if the wanderer did not come back she could not watch next year.

While we have visited 3-4 times a year for the last 3 years, this year was so different watching progress from hatching to fledging thanks to SWT for the webcams. :t:

Thanks Mary, Mum was there at 7:00 but the 2 new flyers were gone not seen anybody since on occasional looks. Weather looks better than yesterday so guess they are out enjoying their new wings!

Hi Ann

Was up there today and the chick that fledged yesterday had left nest before 11:30 was still not back before we left around 16:00. No one there seemed concerned but as it is still not back yet and we have seen the other one fed at least 3 times, I am becoming a bit concerned as I believe Osprey's return to nest for sometime while being taught to fish. Can anyone confirm?

Yes young ospreys do return to the nest after fledging and can stay around for some considerable time. There is debate as to whether they are taught to fish or not. They can certainly learn without teaching as is evidenced by the Rutland birds who did not have any parents to teach them and yet they they learned to fish ok.

Thanks for info Tiger. I guess hunger is a good teacher in that case.

They are currently back on nest and being fed. I was also told yesterday by one of the staff that they expect them to leave in approx 3-4 weeks if anyone is thinking of visiting.

Thanks,

It must be so wonderful to live so near to live near and be able to visit such magnificient birds.

As the camera at Loch Garton seems to have been switched off now, Loch Lowes has been a life saver to me I missed my daily fix.

Thanks for the reply how far away is the loch?

I will look for your answer in the morning as I have to be up early for work.

Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Ann :flowers:

Ive just peeked at the web cam and the nest is empty!!! Sorry for the delay in replying.

I live about 50 miles away from the nest site and its just under an hour to get there. Fabulous scenery. I see they are releasing white tailed eagles on the east of scotland and that will be a site to behold. I cant wait.

Ann

Hi Cosworth Lady,

I have been watching the cam a lot today and the nest has been empty, now the young ones have passed their "flying exam" I am sure they are exploring the neighbourhood. They have grown and changed so much in the last few days it is remarkable I even saw the younger one eating his own fish not being served by mum, the younger did not look interested at all.

I bet a lot of parents wish kids were self sufficient so quick, could feed and look after themselves, if you see what I mean they don't have to make that long migration a few months after being born, the chicks have such a lot to learn in a short while.

Bye Ann

Well looked in again a few minutes ago to see the only to common empty nest but guess they must be feeding themselves now but still see them now and then. Glanced over to other camera though as on the peanut feeder you occasionally get a red squirrel during the day but tonight it was what looked like a Pine martin opening the top of the feeder and scoffing the nuts. Am I right as I do not know if they live in the area?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back