• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new tripod (3 Viewers)

If you're of average height, our local camera shop have a lovely light Manfrotto 192 at a bargain price. It's new but not the very latest model - match it up with a 700RC or 128RC head and you'll get a super tripod set for, I should think, around £100-00 (you'd pay more on eBay). If you PM me, I'll give you their phone number - I'm sure they'd post it). I'm 6'4" so I bought the similar but slightly taller 055 with 700RC!

And I see Warehouse Express have a few mail order return tripods - a Slik at a bargain price.

Last edited:
BrianB said:
I am a recent returner to birding and am looking for a replacement tripod. I have read through various threads in this section and Manfrotto seem to be very popular. The main problem I have is that I can only afford one, and would like it to be usable in a number of different circumstances - scoping, digiscoping, 35mm landscape photography and 35mm macro work.

Many years ago I had an original Benbo which I loved, and something like this would be ideal for the 35mm side. Does anybody use them for birding? I haven't seen any mention of them. Do the Manfrotto range allow you to get a camera as low as a Benbo (for the macro work)?

Thanks for any help

Brian

I use an InFocus tripod for birding because it's light and surprisingly rigid. I also have a Uniloc which is basically the same as a Benbo. I find the Uniloc too heavy at ~3Kg without head, and too cumbersome for birding. The cheaper InFocus tripod is far superior.

The Gitzo explorer looks like it might have almost the lightness of the InFocus tripod and the versatility of the Uniloc. I was tempted to get one but for some reason didn't. S'pose the fact that I already have a couple of tripods is the reason!

You see plenty of Manfrotto 055 on E-Bay go for about £50 -£65 not much to go wrong with a tripod so they do make a good second hand buy.

I didn't see many over the weeks, Graham, sadly - must have picked a poor time. A new one went for over £100 recently and there's currently one starting at £75-00 with the wrong head.

Ragna said:
You see plenty of Manfrotto 055 on E-Bay go for about £50 -£65 not much to go wrong with a tripod so they do make a good second hand buy.

That's not true of Benbos! I had a Benbo Trekker. After one year of use, a leg fell off. I caught it before the £1000 camera and lens hit the deck. Some glue sorted the leg. Then 6 months later I stripped the thread on the locking handle: I don't think I did anything other then use it properly. The Uniloc I bought to replace it is better built with locking screws to retain the legs. Mind you after 5 years of use the locking thread does seem to have worn a bit.

One suggestion: if you know someone who is buying a scope from InFocus, and they don't need a new tripod, ask them to buy the InFocus tripod: they do a deal whereby ~£40 buys a tripod if bought with a scope. It's a bargain. (I paid ~£110!)

Brian - if you haven't ordered it yet, get the 700RC head - half the weight (500g) and... twice as good!

(-:

I just got one this week with an 055 tripod and it's a delight to use, whereas the 128RC is rather an old design and heavy (1kg).

BrianB,

Beware that the 700RC is rated to support a maximum of 5.5 pounds while the 128RC is rated at 8.9 pounds. The 128RC may weigh 1 pound more, but it provides better support for your equipment.

The plate locking lever just broke on my Manfrotto 501 and I am replacing it with a 128RC (I have different needs now). This is how I made my decision based on the weight of my equipment (as well as seeing how many others use the 128RC):

Swarovski AT80-HD: 51.9 oz
Swarovski 20-60x Zoom eyepiece: 9 oz
Nikon Coolpix 995 without battery: 13.8 oz
Nikon EN-EL1 Battery: 1.6 oz

This totals out to 76.3 ounces or 4.768 pounds.

Add to that the fact that I have a case on my scope, a spidertech adapter, a cable release bracket, an xtend-a-view LCD shape on the coolpix and an DigiPower DPS-9000 battery pack that weighs 4.2 ounces. Put all this on the tripod and you are getting pretty close to the 5.5 pound rating of the 700RC.

I have the Manfrotto 3443D Carbon Fiber Tripod which is rated to support 12.6 pounds. It can obviously handle the weight of all my equipment plus the 2.3 pounds of the 128RC.

The closer you get to the support rating of your head and tripod, the less stable your setup becomes. This is not just an issue of supporting your equipment, but the instability can lead to more shake, making it difficult to obtain sharp images.

I don't know what equipment you are using, but I thought this example calculation may help you make an informed decision.

Mark

I have been using the 055 + 700RC for a week now and it is, quite frankly, superb - weight wise carrying it is proving no problem at all.

I think the capacity of the 700RC head should never be an issue - a modern birding scope + Nikon CP4500 cannot possibly even begin to stress it. In fact, I am certain that Manfrotto's load figures are highly conservative - the head is a very solid piece of construction and the friction in both planes is superbly smooth. I'm certainly very pleased that I chose it over the 128RC.

What kind of plate does the 700RC utilize? Is it the same as the 128RC? If it's different, is it better (tighter or more stable), or worse? Anybody use one for a Swaro ATS 80?

It's the same plate, I feel sure and it hasn't loosened yet. It has a safety catch and a screw device to hold it tight.

I'm using a Swav ATS 80HD with a 700RC head; works fine. The only disadvantage is that you need to use a quick release plate as the foot of the scope does not fit directly onto the head: it does fit directly onto the head of the 128RC and the 200.

The locking mechanism on the head is much better than the fiddly little bit of metal on the 128RC (did they improve this on later models?); it feels very secure. I recommend it.

Sean

Hi Lief, was your Benbo faulty or representative of the quality, I am look at them for field macro work but I don't fancy it falling appart. Years ago my tripod and slr blew over in a high gust so I am very catious now.

I think any tripod can fall foul of high winds. My MF055 almost blew over last week on the Northumberland coast, and the wind was certainly not a gale at the time. The geometry of three legs is a compromise, I reckon. I think Benbo are more stable and the best there is - but at a price in weight, convenience and cost.

Hi William, echo the above post, windwise.
If you want the versatility of Benbo, without the doubts, Gitzo Explorer is the only alternative IMO.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, had a look at the Gitzo Explorer on Warehouse Express - mightily impressed - any other users of either tripod?

tricam1.gif

I think it will have been sold by now - but I should be in the shop today, so if I find otherwise, I'll let you know. How much are these in Australia? I don't know how much postage would be! The shop is local and small and does not have its own web page.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back