• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Lynx, Finland (1 Viewer)

Multi night trips in Estonia have very high success rates I believe
James

I recently did a (birding) tour with Mammal tours • Birding Haapsalu and was told that they had never actually failed on the dedicated lynx ones. I got the impression it still took a lot of searching and that good views weren’t guaranteed or anything but that the hit rate was 100%

Highly recommend them as guides, really worked and worked for us on our bird trip

Multi night trips in Estonia have very high success rates I believe
James
Yes and I may consider an organised trip as an option in the future - I have done organised trips for jaguar and fishing cat in the past and have one planned in the future - but only when I have determined there is not realistic chance of doing it independently. I presume there are habitat/behaviour differences that mean Eurasian is so hard and Iberian a lot easier. Or possibly population densities.

Last edited:
Yes and I may consider an organised trip as an option in the future - I have done organised trips for jaguar and fishing cat in the past and have one planned in the future - but only when I have determined there is not realistic chance of doing it independently. I presume there are habitat/behaviour differences that mean Eurasian is so hard and Iberian a lot easier. Or possibly population densities.

I think Iberian mainly hunt by sitting outside rabbit warrens whereas European moves around more.

****! I had a pangolin walk in a restaurant once. That is up there with that.
Shouldn't that be a joke somewhere along those lines??? A pangolin walked into a restaurant once ... applying for a job as a waiter. It didn't get it. The scales weren't tipped in its favour.

Last edited:
I have done organised trips for jaguar and fishing cat in the past and have one planned in the future - but only when I have determined there is not realistic chance of doing it independently. I presume there are habitat/behaviour differences that mean Eurasian is so hard and Iberian a lot easier. Or possibly population densities.
Independent is possible, but chances are much lower as it requires a lot of on the ground knowledge and, as far as I know, the guides mentioned above have a lot of trail cams monitoring their movements in real time, so can direct their night searches accordingly.

As for habitat/behaviour, vastly different - the Iberian are essentially in open territory where you sit on a hillside and scan a massive area. And there, the animals seem fairly concentrated, appearing to be rather sedentary or at least highly regular in returning to the same territory. Also very active in daylight hours.

Eurasian in Finland and the Baltics is in heavily forested landscapes, there will be few opportunities to scan open areas (and open areas in summer tend to be heavily vegetated anyhow). Perhaps more importantly, I feel Eurasian are far more mobile with territories rather vast and animals much less predictable at any particular points. Though they can be active during the day, I think there is also a higher preference for nocturnal habits than with Iberian.

Driving around in Europe for very long periods at night would be seriously draining. It's one thing doing it in the tropics or the Western Sahara, places where I have done it before, where there's a lot of other stuff to keep you entertained. I'm probably too dude to get my cat list that much higher!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back