• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

Red Breasted Merganser

Hi Mike,

It was nice to meet up with you last friday on my first day at S Albufera at the start of my weeks Holiday. On Saturday I was surprised to see a female Red Breasted Merganser out of Bishop´s 2! The Warden on reception told me that it,s the first recorded since 2010. Got some good video of it too. You were quite right about the Egret Roost, I managed Night and Squacco shortly after meeting you.

Keep up good work!

Colin

We had a fantastic 4 nights on Mallorca last week. The weather was unseasonably hot and the scenery, people and food were much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who posted info or replied to requests. Mike Montier was especially helpful - thanks Mike!

Our overall impression was that most migrants were present in lower numbers than expected, and raptors were relatively thin on the ground. Having said that, we caught up with all 6 of my targets as follows:

Scopoli's Shearwater - a few off Formentor lighthouse, including one close in which gave great views of the underwing and bill differences, amongst others.

Black Vulture - single adult at Cuber and immature at Gorg Blau. The Cuber bird repeatedly passed low over us; the other was perched high on a ridge waiting for the thermals to start.

Eleonora's Falcon - up to 7-8 together at once at Formentor with pale phase greatly outnumbering darks. The scenery here is incredible and watching these birds swoop around the cliffs over a stunning azure sea was a real highlight.

Marbled Duck - one from Bishop's Hide.

Balearic Warbler - some great views of birds on territory at the Boquer Valley. Easy once you entered the lower rosemary-dominated maquis.

Moltoni's Warbler - a very responsive male at Cuber.

Mallorca was a great place to visit and very easy to travel around. Even in a few days, we covered much of the NW of the island and could have done much more if it wasn't for the Mojitos....

Where is the best place for Moltoni's at Cuber. I will be visiting next week

Regards

John Taylor

Regards

John Taylor

From the parking by the road, walk along the track left of the reservoir, less than a km along you will go over the dam. Singing and very active male was just before this (50-200 metres before), on and around the electric wires on the slope just to your left. Female present, but less showy. Another male further up the slope, but further back towards the parking.

From the parking by the road, walk along the track left of the reservoir, less than a km along you will go over the dam. Singing and very active male was just before this (50-200 metres before), on and around the electric wires on the slope just to your left. Female present, but less showy. Another male further up the slope, but further back towards the parking.

Thanks very much for the info

John

Embarrassed Apology!

Hi Guys,

An embarrassed apology to every one on this thread, Oh Boy do I feel daft. I got Home from Mallorca today and one of the first things I did was to play my video of my supposed female Red Breasted Merganser that I saw from Bishops 2 on a TV screen rather than on the LCD screen on the video recorder. It's a Marbled Duck! OK, really big sorry everyone and I'm back to the school of birding for further training! When I saw it on the big TV screen I cant imagine why I thought it was a female RBM. That aside, I had a great time at the S'Albufera and saw all my targeted birds but one, Bee Eater. I'm not worried, its a good excuse to come back next year! Thanks for your help Mike, I look forward to keeping in touch with what is happening on my favourite Mediterranean Island over the coming months.

Embarrassed Apology!

Hi Guys,

An embarrassed apology to every one on this thread, Oh Boy do I feel daft. I got Home from Mallorca today and one of the first things I did was to play my video of my supposed female Red Breasted Merganser that I saw from Bishops 2 on a TV screen rather than on the LCD screen on the video recorder. It's a Marbled Duck! OK, really big sorry everyone and I'm back to the school of birding for further training! When I saw it on the big TV screen I cant imagine why I thought it was a female RBM. That aside, I had a great time at the S'Albufera and saw all my targeted birds but one, Bee Eater. I'm not worried, its a good excuse to come back next year! Thanks for your help Mike, I look forward to keeping in touch with what is happening on my favourite Mediterranean Island over the coming months. :brains

IDIC. No need to apologise, we all get it wrong sometimes! Great meeting you too and I hope to be posting much more over the rest of the year. Two White storks have been seen around the airport and then later over Mondragó. We had a fruitless chase after a reported Terek sandpiper, running to the hide where it had been seen. It was a Greenshank. That should make you feel better IDIC!

Well, I've just back from a week based in a villa near Pollenca. Had Eleonora's Falcons regularly from the balcony and a pair of badius Woodchats in & around the garden! I achieved all my 10 target birds which were all lifers, so well pleased. For anyone looking for these birds, I give the locations below:

Audouin's Gull - easy to see on and around the beach at Port de Pollenca, especially north of the marina. Sometimes giving views down to a few feet!

Blue Rock Thrush - male seen directly below the roadside wall, top of the road, below the lighthouse at Cap de Formentor.

Purple Gallinule/Swamphen - very easy to see at S'Albufera. Small chicks seen as well.

Crested/Red-knobbed Coot - as per Gallinule.

Moustached Warbler - Very close views in pathside giant reeds along track (first turning left) coming up from the entrance, S'Albufera.

Thekla Lark - seen on low farm building, by side of Ma3411 road, just east of Muro.

Balearic Warbler - male showed down to a few feet by path leading down to beach in the Bocquer Valley. This was where the path suddenly becomes very steep.

Crag Martin - Two seen over hillside directly opposite the farmhouse at start of Bocquer Valley.

Griffon and Black Vultures - 4 and 3 of each respectively above road between Pollenca and Lluc, just before the sign saying 'Coll de Femenia'.

Booted Eagle was very easy to see and as Mike mentioned above, a good number of Honey Buzzards passed through on Sunday 20th. Squaccos and Night Herons were very easy to see at S'Albufera, esp around the 'heronry'.

Regards

John Taylor

At the weekend I had nice views of a singing male Moltoni's Warbler at Cuber Res. Walking round the res dam side first, the bird was almost at the far point before you turn back towards the car park, singing in scrub to the left of the path.

Far few birders seem to take the track up the valley from the far point, but this is highly recommended - half way along the valley before the path enters the woodland I had a singing male Spectacled Warbler among other nice birds.

All the other usual suspects seen at Cuber.

An unrelated question - what is the status of European Nightjar in Mallorca these days? I had 2+ churring males in woodland c.3km inland from Alcudia (plus Scops and Barn Owls in the same area). Ta!

Love Jos's report, really brings back my memories of Mallorca. Its still just about my favourate place.

Nice Subby painting Nick, by the way.

Don, many thanks for the information. I have seen Moltoni's exactly where you said and Spectacled too! You are right, the walk to the valley is well worth while, I have seen lots of good birds there. Re: Nightjar. When I came here I was told that they were a scarce migrant but I have heard them churring all over the Island in suitable habitat. They bred last year at the back of my apartment and I have seen them nearby too, so I guess they are not as scarce as previously thought. Not many birders come to the south but the habitat here is better than the north. I have a birding friend who has been coming here 17 years and had never seen one until I invited him here to see the breeding pair. I am pretty sure one autumn that I saw a Red-necked too but I did not submit the record, several have been seen on Cabrera so they do pass through. Mike

Hi Mike, I will be staying close to S'Albufera the first 2 weeks in August and I expect to spend most of my birding time around the park. I presume marbled teal should be viewable if I put in the time?
regards
Sean

Sean
I've never been there in August but I get Marbled Duck without any problem on my spring and autumn visits. They are often visible from the hides around the reception area but I've also seen them elsewhere.
Don
I usually get churring Nightjar in the Es Comu woods, on the seaward side of the main road between the entrance to s'Albufera and the roundabout at C'an Picafort.
Martin

Is there any company or individual who acts as a bird guide on Majorca that anyone knows of? I am on a week's family holiday at end of July (bad time I know) but would love to have a guided day to see as many good birds as are available in as short a period as possible. Thanks in anticipation.

Is there any company or individual who acts as a bird guide on Majorca that anyone knows of? I am on a week's family holiday at end of July (bad time I know) but would love to have a guided day to see as many good birds as are available in as short a period as possible. Thanks in anticipation.

hi Stuart

I have 2 websites that may interest you.

http://www.seemallorca.com/sights/reserves.html

http://www.birdinginspain.com/sites...irding-in-the-albufereta-natural-reserve.html

I would suggest getting in touch with the local Nature Reserves, (S'Albufereta Nature Reserve), and see if they have any birding trips on the go - or arrange one yourself with the local ranger.
The reason why I say this is that a lot of the land within nature Reserves is privately owned, and it is the best option to have a guide (local ranger) who can help bypass any issues that you may have with the local landowners.

We had this problem in Menorca. We had a guide to take us to the best areas in the main Nature Reserve to the island for bird watching, and it brings the experience to another level.

Are you hiring a car by the way?

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back