• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (3 Viewers)

Its old age

Ouch!!
You must bring your scope next time Mike, not for the birds but to keep an eye on birders you've just walked away from…��

lol

Made me laugh

I will go tomorrow and dip again

Have a great journey back and thanks again

Mike ( ok 15 bee eaters)

Mystery Pipit

Found today at Bocquer Valley

My guess Meadow Pipits but is it late?

Thanks for any help

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a few photos of the red-backed shrike that was found on the edge of Puerto Pollensa on Wednesday afternoon. The photos were kindly supplied by Graham Moffat who was on hand with his camera to capture a few shots of the bird. Many thanks Graham!

Interesting that two birds should appear at nearby locations on the island simultaneously. Clearly red-backed shrikes follow the same laws as buses...

Happy birding!

James

My father also found a female red-backed shrike on the northern edge of Puerto Pollensa this afternoon. The bird was seen perching on white railings on the south side of the main road that runs between the edge of the town and the entrance to the Bocquer Valley. We watched it hunting in adjacent ruderals and verges for 30 mins alomg woth other birders. We also saw the bird an hour or so later in the same location as we were leaving the Bocquer Valley. Photos to follow....

Attachments

• RB Shrike (f) 4.5.16 PdP [2].jpg
    RB Shrike (f) 4.5.16 PdP [2].jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 109
  • RB Shrike (f) 4.5.16 PdP [4].jpg
    RB Shrike (f) 4.5.16 PdP [4].jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 107
Roller still there

Today I walked back to C'an Curassa for a leisure stroll, just to soak up the landscape, flowers and birds before I depart home tomorrow. Almost immediately I met (Swiss) Mike and his wife and we enjoyed a good chat up the track to where I had seen all those species along one fence a few days ago. After a while we said our goodbyes and I turned to scanning the wires over to the left of the track. Bingo! ROLLER again. I looked through my bins down the track to see Mike and his wife chatting to Kate & Ian who I had met at S'Albufera yesterday and it seemed that no matter how much I waved my arms around like an old Mallorcan windmill and shouted, none of them saw me. Ah well!! The Roller was in roughly the same area as previous but a bit lower down. Fab!!
A flock of 15 Bee-eaters were great to watch close by, plus the usual suspects of Goldfinch, Yellow Wag, Stonechat, Sardinian Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler, Corn Bunting and 7 Spotless Starlings. It really is a great wee spot and not too far to walk from PdP.
I've had a great time out in Mallorca and will be back soon. Thanks to all the lovely folk I met during my week here, great chat and bird info. Also I must thank Mike Montier for his updates on this thread, they are great to read through when sitting at home with the snow and winds outside, pretty much like last week then!!
Adios!
Malcolm

I went back this evening around 19.30

Distant views of Roller on the wire exactly where Malcolm said

Thanks again

Mike

2 images from this week....

Hi all
We're back home and watching House Martins and Swifts now....
I took the attached images with my iPhone at S'Albufera during the week, the RnCoot thoroughly embarrassed itself to us on one of the paths and the other pic is of a Cricket which landed on me then down on to the trail.
No idea what it is, can anyone help?
Thanks!!

Missing Mallorca so much..

Cheers
Malcolm

P.S Glad you connected with the Roller Mike!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi Malcolm,

Think your cricket may be a Locust. Had one of those a few years ago. They are massive!! Not sure what species they are.

Rach

Hi all
the other pic is of a Cricket which landed on me then down on to the trail.
No idea what it is, can anyone help?
Thanks!!

Hi Malcolm
As Rach said, it's almost certaily a locust, probably the Migratory Locust Locusta migratoria. They can be huge!
Martin

Not sure about this moth Martin, it's not a real plant, it flew through my window and settled on a painting! Mike

Last edited:
The first Red-footed falcon has been seen, lots more to come I hope. Villafranca de Bonany or Maria de la Salut are good places. Can Curassa is also worth a look, another Roller has been seen and a female type Golden Oriole too. Mike

Not sure about this moth Martin, it's not a real plant, it flew through my window and settled on a painting! Mike
Hi Mike
It is Hypena obsitalis, the Bloxworth Snout. It's been recorded from all the main islands (Mallorca, Menorca and Eivissa). In all the years that we've been trapping at s'Albufera we've only recorded eight specimens, all between March and May. The larvae feed on Pellitory of the wall (Parietaria judaica), a common enough plant on the islands.
Martin

Thank you Martin, it's nice to have something a bit more interesting for a change. I am still trying to see more moths so I hope to have some others to report. Sorry about the quality of the photo, my camera has been playing up. Mike

Quiet after the rain

Pretty quiet up North

Osprey over the sea

Common Redstart by the beach

Wyrneck, Cirl Buntings and Woodchat Shrikes by Bocquer Valley

Mike

A few Honey Buzzard through today so far and a couple of Common Buzzard. Also some Oystercatchers put in an appearance yesterday in the south. Mike

A pre-breakfast walk down the C'an Cuarrasa track this morning was productive with the Roller on wires distantly on the Albufureta side. A Golden Oriole was calling in the garden with the lone palm tree but flew off towards the mountains.
A couple of Spotless Starlings were seen, a couple of Woodchat Shrikes were on the wires, a Common Sandpiper was on the track itself and a wood Sandpiper on the marsh.
Two Red-rumped Swallows were new Mallorcan birds for me.
Frustratingly I could hear Bee-eaters but couldn't see them.
I'm staying at the Club del Sol for the next 2 weeks so will probably doing this walk most days.
Robert.

Robert,

Just came back from the road.

Roller showing well

15 bee eaters on the wire and feeding as well

Keep looking there

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back