• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (5 Viewers)

Hi Mike
Have arrived PP after a year away with med probs. All the best for yourself. Limited travel I'm afraid. Where is the new Albufreta viewing platform? I hope for a few decent birds!
Phil T

Thanks Martin, your prediction was bang on. About 1pm the storms rumbled their way across the Island but they haven't reached the south east yet, it is swelteringly hot, unbearable, but it looks like we will get the rain in about half an hour. I was at the Cap this morning for about five hours, lots of Marsh harrier, five Honey buzzard, an Osprey, a Black vulture, several groups of Bee-eater and best of all, a Bonelli's eagle. It was a young one, maybe this year's and it had a back-pack with antenna. Safe trip tomorrow Martin and I hope you see lots of good moths and birds too! Mike

Hi Phil, glad you are back and I hope your problems are behind you now.
As you enter the reserve from the "smelly stream"' you walk towards the lagoon and the new viewing platform is to your right, you really can't miss it!
Good luck, I hope you see lots of good birds, this storm should bring down a few interesting migrants. Let us know. Mike

Philip G. has had a good time here and seen some wonderful birds including a Lesser Whitethroat (very rare), a Red-backed shrike, also rare, a Golden oriole, all at Sa Torre near Santa Ponca.
At Bassa de can Guidet he logged 173 Little grebe, 18 Black-necked grebe and two unseasonal Ferruginous ducks. Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks StewB for your posts, brave going out in this heat but some nice birds there, a few Red-rumped swallows have been reported, mostly from the depuradora, they are never common here. Little bittern always nice to see, good to know Marbled duck are around, many visitors want to see them, thanks.
Three Honey buzzard through the south early this afternoon.
No other news for now, a bit quiet still, a good storm would liven things up a bit. Mike

Thanks Mike. Only a couple more days before we return to the UK, but plans for a birding visit next May already in hand!

After the early morning storm I set out for the Bocquer Valley. The rain had turned the path into a kind of lime mortar, very sticky! Managed reasonable views of at least two Balearic warblers near the top of the slope to the sea and two Eleanora's falcons over the sea itself. On the way back two booted eagles were giving grief to a black vulture perched on the western ridge! A pied flycatcher and the resident hoopoe in the pine avenue completed a good morning.

A juv woodchat was at Ca'n Cuarassa en route to the Albufereta this afternoon. An adult woodchat and a calling wryneck were around the track to the Albufereta viewing platform, and from the platform itself there was osprey (perched), two great white egrets and an Eleanora's falcon. What looked more like a cormorant than a shag did a flypast - are they here in September?

Stew

Hi Stew
Philip saw his first Cormorant of the autumn yesterday, so yes, at least one is around in that area.
Thanks for the report and I hope you enjoy your last couple of days here. Mike

Warbler

What does anyone think? Sorry about the poor quality photos.. I was walking along the raised boardwalk on the way to the Albufera reception this morning with a birder from Scotland when our attention was drawn to an unfamiliar repeated harsh "churrrrrrr". We tracked it down to the reeds &bushes on the other side of the channel. The bill and size of the bird made me think hippolais, and both of us concluded "possible" melodious, although the olive tones (most pronounced on the nape) were maybe not bright enough. Eventually the bird moved off into the undergrowth and the calling ceased. Any opinions gratefully received!

Stew

Ok, I'm sorry but I don't seem to be able to upload the photos to Birdforum using my iPhone (rats). I'll post them on Twitter (I'm @StewCB for anyone who is a user) and have another go on the forum when I'm back at my PC. Sorry!

Stew

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 115
Ok, I'm sorry but I don't seem to be able to upload the photos to Birdforum using my iPhone (rats). I'll post them on Twitter (I'm @StewCB for anyone who is a user) and have another go on the forum when I'm back at my PC. Sorry!

Stew

Looks like a reed warbler?

Been sat in the hotel lagotel my balcony over looks the s albufera marsh. Great views and a total of 34 species. Best are purple heron, the osprey alll day, griffon vulture and a dark booted eagle. As well as usual waders. Great location to be :)
ps I arrived late last night ;-)

Last edited:
The concensus on my photos is reed warbler. I suppose it was the constantly repeated churrrrr (with no other calls) that completely threw me. As always, you live and learn.

Yesterday morning at S'Albufera produced some nice birds, including several bright juv willow warblers and yellow wags calling overhead - maybe tsome movement going on? As well as greenshank (2), green sands and a curlew , there was an osprey eating a fish in front of Es Cibollar. A male little bittern was in reeds near the main bridge. At Sa Roca marbled ducks had increased to at least 15, and at least four stone curlews were in the northern corner.

The adult woodchat shrike was still along the track to the Albufereta viewing platform, with osprey & marsh harrier seen from the platform. More willow warblers and a calling spotted redshank were on thewalk to the mound, and although there were no waders on the large pool there were four stone curlews on the edge of the orchards.

Off to Porto Christo later today before we catch a late flight back to the UK this evening.

Stew

Thanks Stew for all your posts, always good to hear what visiting birders are seeing. Hope you have a good trip back and that we will see you here again. Mike

Local boy Lalo has taken two weeks holiday to spend every day at the Cap de Ses Salines. His devotion paid off today with a Short-toed eagle, a magnificent raptor to see. Also groups of Bee-eater, Honey buzzard, two Bonelli's Eagles together and migrating Marsh harrier. Mike

Probably going to be a contentious report but sea watching of formentor lighthouse today I had an all dark shearwater silver underwing long winged direct flight unlike manx or balearic. If I was seawatching of the suffolk coast like I do weekly when I can it would have been an obvious sooty shearwater. It was also the closest shearwater to land. 50+ corys also. Few migrants willow warbler and whitethroat. Also firecrest and 4 elenoras and a peregrine. Wife had a red legged partridge too.

I've finally arrived and it is sweltering - and especially humid in s'Albufera.
Flight was delayed by half an hour, then when I gor through baggage check had to stand in a queue for more than an hour to pick up my hire car. It seemed like EVERYONE was using the same company!!
As we flew in I could see two dark shapes below the plane but it was only after several seconds that I realised I was looking at the shadow of two large raptors between us and the ground. I expect they were Griffon Vultures.
Not had a chance to get out to the hides yet but I've seen Spotted Flycatchers and lots of Cattle Egret and heared Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, several Kingfisher and several Stone Curlew calling at dusk. There was also a flock of hirundines with some Swift flying around over the works yard at Sa Roca and I also heard Beeater but couldn't find them with a quick scan.
After much messing about I finally got the moth trap to work so should have some specimens to look at first thing.
If anyone sees a 'tourist' driving around the Parc - it will most likely be me.
I'm told there was a Red-footed Falcon and Great Snipe today - but I don't know exactly where.
Martin

Welcome to Mallorca Martin. I think it is due to get a bit cooler later this week.
I hope you have an enjoyable and productive stay and do let us know what you see including moths!
I drove my son-in-law past Albufera twice today as he was going cycling, sounds like I should have popped in!
All the best, Mike

Leo

Hi Mike
I am enjoying my first visit back to PP for a long while. Re: Albufreta viewing platform. What a super effort by those chaps involved. Well done them! Has anybody any news of the LEO hunting across the stubble fields at the bottom of the Boquer?
Phil

Seen today at S'Albufera during a brief morning walk:
Sa Roca: 2 Garganey, 10 MArbled duck, 13 Stone Curlew, 1 Greenshank, 11 Spotted Redshank, distant perched Osprey, 3 Marsh Harrier, Kentish & Little Ringed Plover.
Es Cibollar I: 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Spotted Flycatcher, 12 Greenshank, 8 Black-winged Stilt, 1 Black-necked Grebe, 1 Temminck's Stint, 17 Spotted Redshank, 2 Ospreys, Water Rail (heard), 3 Little Stint
Overnight had 91 moths of about 40 species. They included the alien coloniser Tuta absoluta, which is causing problems with the tomato growers, some moths familiar to UK mothers (the Clay, Pinion-streaked Snout, Tree-lichen Beauty), Pine Processionary moths but nothing extra special.
Apparently, the recent Great Snipe was reported from Son Carbonella at the back of the Parc.
EVENING EDIT: a pair of Gadwall and three Glossy Ibis from Sa Roca hide, plus a nice male Marsh Harrier which spooked almost everything. At 19.30 a small group of Beeaters flew low over Sa Roca area, catching insects and perching in the tall Poplars before heading off further inland.
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back