• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (5 Viewers)

Was also considering going out with a professional guide , any idea/feedback on this ?
Will def. mention what I find on this thread shortly...hope to finally catch on the Balearic warbler , I was out of luck with that one last year !

regards to all,
Fabrice

Hello Fabrice and sorry of being late, too.
Thanks Stuart and Mike for your comments.
I'm afraid that Steve is very busy with his work and his children, and the other guides Stuart mentioned, one of them Jose Luis (Balears Wildlife [email protected]), are not very available in these dates.
For how long are you staying?
The one mentioned by Mike, Mallorca Natural Tours +34 620 229 687 [email protected]

Another one is Wildlife Mallorca +34 640 344 192 [email protected]

Last edited:
Hi Kristina, a good question!
The only decent list I know is at the back of "a Birding Tousists Guide to Mallorca" written by some locals.
Many other lists are unreliable and include such birds as Tawny Owl as being common but they don't occur here. There are many other serious mistakes too. The problem is that the list is not available online, I bought the book and use it for my life and year lists. It can be purchased at the Information Centre, Albufera or presumably online.
I hope this helps. Mike

Hi again- a brief report from La Gola courtesy of Cristina- last night the Scops showed well at the Pollensa Park- any time from 2030 on in the lane should enable a connection to be made. Today started wet but it has dried up and I got to Albufera for 90 minutes (it was going to be 4 hours but my wife has a major migraine). The only new species for me was Common Tern but yesterday there had been a Gull-billed at Albuferata according to someone I met in the hide. The water level is up a bit, but still no Garganey or rarer waders yet. Here at La Gola the early morning Subalpine has disappeared for the time being- perhaps moving on towards the Boquer. Tomorrow and the rest of the week looks a bit fluid (literally) due to the weather but I hope to get to the Boquer and Son Real at some point. Hugh Matthews

Hi Kristina, a good question!
The only decent list I know is at the back of "a Birding Tousists Guide to Mallorca" written by some locals.
Many other lists are unreliable and include such birds as Tawny Owl as being common but they don't occur here. There are many other serious mistakes too. The problem is that the list is not available online, I bought the book and use it for my life and year lists. It can be purchased at the Information Centre, Albufera or presumably online.
I hope this helps. Mike

Checked out the above book it can be bought new from Amazon for £3,205.12p or the cheaper option used for £2,913.62p, I'll have to save up
Brian

I was looking for bird checklist for Mallorca, but can't found any.
Where I can found one to print?
In the ebird is giving only for some parts of Mallorca.

Hello Kristine,
In the Anuari Ornitològic del GOB :http://www.gobmallorca.com/ornit/anuari/anuari2010/status.pdf
you can find a list with the status of the birds seen in the Balearics (Latin names).
This is the one from 2010, but can be helpful.

E means found in Summer
H means Wintering

e means scarce

no reprod. means non breeding (this happens with some summering birds)

Regards,
Cristina.

Last edited:
hello all

been here just over 24 hrs now - staying at llenaire area. Most surprising thing I have had is a single Eleanora's falcon; realise this is very early but actually watched it for some time circling then in active flight early PM at start of Llenare road. Bird had few primaries missing and fairly brownish tones to underside so assume one of last years young birds?

Spent hour this afternoon at the new Albufereta tower - what an excellent facility - highlights 2 stone curlew, 1 Alpine Swift, Purple Heron and 2 Pallod Swift (flat light and advantage of height meant it was possible to pick out at least 2 pallids in the swift flocks as viewed from above, they were markedly pale sandy above)

Only other things were a whitethroat and redstart at Bocquer entrance

Good to be back...despite the rain!
Chris

Checked out the above book it can be bought new from Amazon for £3,205.12p or the cheaper option used for £2,913.62p, I'll have to save up
Brian
At that price I should sell my copy and fund my next few trips to Mallorca! - but why get rid of an excellent book!
Methinks something's amiss ;)
Martin

Last edited:
Spent 4 hours at Albufera today with highlights being marbled duck, spotted redshank, woodchat shrike, penduline tit, purple heron, whitethroat, water pipit & little bittern. Latter bird was the first bird I saw on entering the park!

Brian

2 Bonelli's Warblers in pines along the track between Betlem and Es Calo this pm. One c 800m from Betlem the other just before Es Calo. Also loads of common migrants around there (Wryneck, Redstarts etc) and around La Gola this am (including wood warbler & spot fly in addition to those mentioned).

ps - sorry not to catch up with you yesterday Colin. Went down to S'Albufera, saw your students, wood sand and a nice moustached warbler but must have ended up in different parts of the reserve to you.

pps. Phone photos of my camera's photos of the Bonelli's and La Gola subalp on the link below

Last edited:
Spent 4 hours at Albufera today with highlights being marbled duck, spotted redshank, woodchat shrike, penduline tit, purple heron, whitethroat, water pipit & little bittern. Latter bird was the first bird I saw on entering the park!

Hi, I'm due out on Thursday. Can you give me the location of where the Penduline tit was spotted. Thanks

To Mike Montier

Hi Mike, I'll be on the island from 7th to 22nd April. I see you will be in the UK during this time so no chance to meet up. I'm due back in May so maybe then. I'll post all sightings as usual.

Hope you are well. I take it you haven't had your op yet.

Yes! I have looked for Penduline tits so many times I can't remember, failed every time so that was a great sighting Malkoa. They seem to do a circuit Kevin, they travel between the staff house by the bridge and go towards Es Cibollar I believe. I am away for two weeks from this Thursday so I cannot meet up this time sadly. See you next time I hope. Mike

Hi Kevin, sorry, we cross posted. I am just back from the hospital and they wanted me to go in next week! I will probably go in as soon as I am back but I will be fighting fit for your next visit. Have fun and see lots of great birds, Mike

Just off to the tower today but there is a very strong north-easterly, about the worst, so we will call in at Maristany, Can Curassa, Boquer and Albufereta hoping for some grounded migrants. Hope to see some of you up north.
Martin, many thanks as usual, I forgot about that list, I am sure it is the best one to use. Mike

Attachments

• Vespa1.jpg
    Vespa1.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 60
Majorca

Hi Mike, as we're both no fully retired, we get the opportunity to come down later in the year than in the past (March). So we're staying at our usual place, Alcudia Garden Apartotel from Friday next, 15th April to 29th inclusive. Would appreciate your help in the meantime as to whether all of the usual places are still accessible eg Salt Pans, Boker Valley (via the house track route) etc? Look forward to your advices, best wishes and regards, John.

Hello La Gola staff / Cristina
thanx for your input , I'll be in M. between April 10th and 22nd , will try to stop by.

to all interested in a professional guide : I am now in contact with Pere Tomas of [email protected] and they have several options , half day , full day , mostly out of Port de Pollença , also Cabrera is possible and there's a possibility that's what I will end up doing , will report here when it happens anyway.

I bought " A Birding Tourist's Guide to M. " a year ago for........19.99 BP , and love it !

have a great day
Fabrice

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back