• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (4 Viewers)

Penduline Tit

Hi, Didn't realise penduline were tough birds to see what with all that reed bed at Albufera.

Immediately to the west of the mound viewing area there is a canal and beyond that the reed bed. Almost opposite the mound you have small cutting into the reeds and it was in there. I heard it from the mound and just followed my ears. I have tried to attach a dodgy photo of it.

Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 50
Hi
Apologies for the link.
I would agree with the identity of the wasp. It's larvae parasitise the larvae of carabid beetles and the adults pollinate Ophyrs speculum, the Mirror orchid.
Martin

cycled right round Albufera today - kids with me so birding was bit compromised. However, frustratingly had reasonable but brief views of a smallish ringtail Harrier which seemed not quite slim enough for Montys and also thought secondaries didn't seem quite barred enough - of course can't claim it as a Pallid but would have loved some photos or more prolonged views.

anyone know status of Montagus/ Pallid and Hen Harrier on Mallorca. out of interest?

Also Purple Heron, Great Reed Warbler, 2 Osprey etc

Chris

Hi Chris, a couple of Pallids have been through recently. The time is right for them and more are being seen these days. Hen harriers were around until recently but the wintering birds have gone I would say, there are always migrants as well of course. Monty's come through too but never very many. sounds like you think it may have been Pallid and it could well have been. Not much help I'm afraid! Mike

Hi Johnpell. It's all the same, nothing much has changed except that Cases Veyas has been ploughed up and all the fig trees have gone. It has been replanted with vines I believe. Sorry that I am away, we could have met up finally. I hope you have a great time with lots of migrants. Mike

A good day out with Glen despite the howling wind. Nothing much at the tower except one pale Booted eagle. Albufereta had lots of Willow warblers, Flamingos, Great white egret, Osprey and a Sub-alpine seen twice. Lots of hirundines and Common swift at Maristany, not much at Albufera in our brief visit. Mike

Hi Chris, a couple of Pallids have been through recently. The time is right for them and more are being seen these days. Hen harriers were around until recently but the wintering birds have gone I would say, there are always migrants as well of course. Monty's come through too but never very many. sounds like you think it may have been Pallid and it could well have been. Not much help I'm afraid! Mike

Thanks Mike - thats useful - it certainly was candidate for Pallid but not much I can do with it beyond that I fear.

Few sightings from today; forgive spelling of place names as I'm at dinner without access to maps etc!

Boquer valley: 1st light, cold & v windy - woodchat shrike
C'an Carusso: subalpine warbler
Betlem: booted eagle pair, 2 Thekla larks & red kite
Depurada de s'Illot: 4 green sandpiper, 2 rr swallows & whinchat.

Brian

As stated above extremely windy yesterday but my boys were keen to go up the hill to Randa, but birds were hiding except for a Thekla Lark near Montuiri. Late afternoon to Postage Stamp Wood where conditions were calmer with some phylloscopi about including one Wood Warbler, and also a pair of Firecrest showing well in the middle of the wood. Today we are off to Soller via the mountain road but ubfortunately not stopping at Cuber (I was outvoted 3 to 1), so just the outside chance of seeing something. Still have not heard of any Garganey or Spotless Starlings yet. Hugh Matthews

Good morning,
one Woodchat Shrike ssp. senator was this early morning not far from the Center.

We also have a couple of very aggressive Yellow-legged Gulls. They are eating the eggs of the Mallards and pushing them out most of the time, so I'm afraid this year we'll not see many ducklings at la Gola.

(Picture: Lupe Suárez)

Attachments

• 7.LaGola.jpg
    7.LaGola.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 55
As stated above extremely windy yesterday but my boys were keen to go up the hill to Randa, but birds were hiding except for a Thekla Lark near Montuiri. Late afternoon to Postage Stamp Wood where conditions were calmer with some phylloscopi about including one Wood Warbler, and also a pair of Firecrest showing well in the middle of the wood. Today we are off to Soller via the mountain road but ubfortunately not stopping at Cuber (I was outvoted 3 to 1), so just the outside chance of seeing something. Still have not heard of any Garganey or Spotless Starlings yet. Hugh Matthews

Hi Hugh,

I'm back in the UK now, but had a flock of ~15 Spotless Starlings here yesterday eve: https://goo.gl/maps/gt8yGMMhZaJ2

Perched on wires around the back of Ca'n Cuarassa restaurant.

I hope that helps.

Ilya

Last edited:
highlights today - quite cool and windy early at Albufereta - not much except 4 flamingos still present, osprey and a redstart.

Later morning went for walk in the valley at Mortix by the vineyard ; 2 Bonelli's eagles, 2 Booted Eagle, 3 Black Vulture and 2 Griffons overhead , and Wryneck and Cirl Bunting in the olive trees by the track. Really pleasant walk - will go back again if time allows

Chris

Cuber Resv. today; 1 griffon & 3 black vultures, peregrine, red kite & several booted Eagles.
La Gola; woodchat shrike seen taking large hopper.

Brian

Lower winds seemed to bring out all the migrants today at S'Albufera! Highlight a red-throated pipit around the back, but more willow warblers than you can shake a stick at, among them several wood and at least one Western Bonelli's, and a gull-billed tern dropped in briefly too, plus the first whimbrel I've seen so far. Little stint was around yesterday, but not today. Cuckoos calling, woodchats starting nest building and a few flava wags among the hoards of iberiae. Very nice day!

C'an Cuarassa nr P Pollensa: 4 spotless starlings at Club del Sol. Were on roof of hotel then flew out of sight to south west corner of complex. Seemed to drop down at rear of building with one carrying nesting material.

Tzbirder Red-throated is pretty rare, well done, there have been a few at Albufera this year but it's still a great bird to see. I am in the UK for two weeks, looking forward to seeing Nuthatch, Treecreeper and woodpeckers, none of which occur in Mallorca. Have fun all birders in Mallorca, I will try to post any Mallorca news that I get. Mike

Hi Malkoa, I believe the Spotless starlings breed in the roof tops of the modern houses just behind Can Curassa. It's a great place for other migrants too like Redstarts, Flycatchers and Whinchats. Also far the best place to see Roller later on. Mike

Pere Tomas is arranging a boat trip to Cabrera on Saturday 16th April for anyone interested. It is a guided tour and a great time for migration through the island as well as sea birds on the way.
I know from past experience how good these trips are so I can really recommend them. The boat leaves Colonia Sant Jordi but if there are sufficient numbers then a transfer from Potro Pollenca will be arranged.
Numbers are restricted to twelve so anyone interested can email Pere direct at: [email protected]
Just wish I could go myself. Good luck to all who go, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back