• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (2 Viewers)

I finally made it up to the top of Puig de Teix from Valldemossa. It's a long and very steep walk so if you are thinking of going, take plenty of water, it gets really hot.
The reward will be views of breeding Spectacled Warbler and Rock Thrush.
I didn't see either but the walk was so enthralling that it didn't matter. My wife could walk no further which was a shame as we were so close to the site. Mike

Hello,
one Gull-billed Tern yesterday at the Depuradora (seen by José Luis Martínez).
Evenmore: Black-winged stilt, Little Ringed Plover, Common Tern, Purple Gallinule, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Shelducks, Garganey, Moorhen, Coot...
At least two couples of Black-headed Gull nesting there this year.
Also nice view of Thekla Lark, Tawny Pipit, Bee-eaters, Hoopoe, Eleonora's Falcon, Marsh Harrier.

Regards,
Cristina.

Hello,
one Gull-billed Tern yesterday at the Depuradora (seen by José Luis Martínez).
Evenmore: Black-winged stilt, Little Ringed Plover, Common Tern, Purple Gallinule, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Shelducks, Garganey, Moorhen, Coot...
At least two couples of Black-headed Gull nesting there this year.
Also nice view of Thekla Lark, Tawny Pipit, Bee-eaters, Hoopoe, Eleonora's Falcon, Marsh Harrier.

Regards,
Cristina.

I had a Gull Billed Tern at S'Albufera on 4 June.

All the usual otherwise. An Egyptian Vulture over hills at km 4/5 on the road to Soller from Puerto Pollensa was nice yesterday. Quite a few Red Kites and Vultures in that area too. I presume Black Vultures but they were fairly distant.

I finally made it up to the top of Puig de Teix from Valldemossa. It's a long and very steep walk so if you are thinking of going, take plenty of water, it gets really hot.
The reward will be views of breeding Spectacled Warbler and Rock Thrush.
I didn't see either but the walk was so enthralling that it didn't matter. My wife could walk no further which was a shame as we were so close to the site. Mike

Hi Mike, I am due out next Monday and am hoping to make it up to Puig de Teix. Where is the best starting point for the walk and do you know roughly where the birds were seen?

Hi Mike, I am due out next Monday and am hoping to make it up to Puig de Teix. Where is the best starting point for the walk and do you know roughly where the birds were seen?
Hi Kevin
Pep gave some details in a previous post:
From Valldemossa you should go to Coma de Cairats, starting on the last curve before the village.
From there there are 1.45 o 2 h (walking slowly but very steep) to the flats areas under Teix Peak.
The return will be around 1.20 or 1.30.
There are also some on-line maps of the route, on some of the walking Mallorca websites.
Martin

Hi Kevin and thanks Martin for the directions. We parked far away in the public car park which added some distance to the walk. You can park for free near the entrance to the path. We also went wrong at one point but it's straightforward. I think the timings are somewhat optimistic, I would allow more than this, we took over six hours in total but that included several stops. Also, the locals go late afternoon which seems sensible, it's far too hot in the middle of the day when we were still climbing.
Let me know when you are going, there is just a chance I may be able to join you. Mike

Hi Kevin
Pep gave some details in a previous post:
From Valldemossa you should go to Coma de Cairats, starting on the last curve before the village.
From there there are 1.45 o 2 h (walking slowly but very steep) to the flats areas under Teix Peak.
The return will be around 1.20 or 1.30.
There are also some on-line maps of the route, on some of the walking Mallorca websites.
Martin

Thanks Martin

A nice if rather hot walk around Salobrar de Campos today. All a bit quiet but a Curlew Sandpiper and a Gull-billed Tern brightened up the day. Nineteen Flamingos in flight was a beautiful sight. Raptors were a bit scarce with five Marsh Harrier, two Booted Eagles and two Red Kite.
I am going to the Castel de Santuari in Felanitx Monday evening to see how the Alpine Swifts are getting on, there are normally double figures even before the young are on the wing. Mike

Pine Marten at Cuber

Yesterday at Cuber reservoir several subalpine warblers (at least 2 males and 1 female seen), 12 o 14 black vultures and griffon vultures posed on the rocks, and the surprise was an sparrow hawk, a singing chifchaf.

Not a bird, but also nice, this thin male pine marten.

Attachments

• 11Mart1.jpg
    11Mart1.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 55
  • 11mart2.jpg
    11mart2.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 61
  • BusqueretGarriga.jpg
    BusqueretGarriga.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 80
Great pictures Pep.

I still have to see a live one on Mallorca, perhaps this autumn!

I've just come across a 'new' bird guide to the Pollenca region, written/produced by a friend and some colleagues:

Guia Pollença Ornitologia by Samuel Pinya Fernández, Esperança Perelló & Joan Miquel González

More of a tourist guide but may be useful, especially as it can be down-loaded for free from:

https://cs-static-pro.s3.amazonaws.com/cobi/media/pollensa.com/cms_page_media/13/fo-guia.pdf

Martin

I saw my first ever Pine Marten a couple of weeks ago in Parc Mondrago of all places. It crossed the road right in front of us giving really good views. I am not sure if they have been reported from there before.
Thanks for the link Martin, I will look it up.
Off to see the Nightjars tonight, I am hoping for a good show. Mike

Thanks for the link Martin. :t:

Enjoy the Nightjar's Mike....you lucky so and so..! ;)

Looking forward to returning to the Island again next month.

At least nine Alpine Swift at Castel de Santueri, Felanitx, this evening. There are probably more but they circle around the castle and it's difficult to be sure.
If you are thinking of going, early mornings or evenings are best, partly because the birds show better at these times, but also because it is very crowded at the top at other times. We walked up but it was flaming hot.
Also Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martin and the most yellow Cirl Bunting I have ever seen. I can understand why they are often reported as Yellowhammer. Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back