• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (11 Viewers)

Show me an Apex predator that outconsumes its resources.....apart from us that is;)

Bonelli’s Eagles should be there - are the local hunters the reason why they have had to be reintroduced?

Laurie -

Yes Laurie, I believe they were hunted to extinction.

Another short visit to the Cap this morning but quite productive.
Three Marsh harriers left the Island, followed by eleven Bee-eaters. They were distant and couldn’t be heard and their flight action was quite unfamiliar as they bounded along purposefully, it took me a few seconds to realise what they were.
Two Eleonora’s were present as were a few Booted eagles, two Peregrine and lots of Red kites.
Early September is a good time so hopefully things will warm up a bit.
Mike

The White-headed Duck is still being seen at Bassa de Can Guidet.
It’s a difficult bird to see in Mallorca following the failed reintroduction scheme.
Mike

The hunters will probably blame the failure of the White-headed Duck reintroduction scheme on the Bonelli’s Eagle reintroduction scheme3:)

Laurie:t:

Yes Laurie, I believe they were hunted to extinction..
Mike

The account in the Banneremans' book makes some interesting comments. "It's principle food was the rabbit (until myxomatosis reduced the rabbit population)". Also, "If an eyrie is located ....... keep it secret and the site forbidden to birdwatchers, especially tourists, who have become from all accounts a serious menace to the birds of prey".
So perhaps there were a number of factors in its demise, not that it was ever common on the islands.

Crikey Martin, that is interesting.
Simon wrote a while ago saying that favourite prey of Bonelli’s Eagle was pigeon.
Either way, they are doing well and what a fabulous bird to watch.
We are all getting to know the plumage details much better now having seen adult male and female, juvenile and first year birds.
I rather like the expression that there are no mistakes, just learning experiences because we have all got Bonelli’s wrong at some point.
Mike

Yes, pigeon is now a favourite prey item (caught on the wing), which is why they fall foul of racing pigeon fanciers in some areas.

Racing pigeon owners can never see the bigger picture that apex predators increase the prey’s genetics by the very act of predation - there are none so blind as those that do not want to see.....

Laurie:t:

They’ll punch more than their body weight.

I was chatting to one of the Migres monitors at Tarifa this morning when a Bonelli’s came past. I told him of an episode three or four years ago when the monitors at Algarrobo at the other end of the Strait got their eyes on two juvenile Bonelli’s that crossed their view. One of the Bonelli’s got its eyes on a prey item as they watched. It attacked and took down its target, the predator and prey coming to rest at the base of a pylon on the hill above the watchpoint. I was there the day after the episode and unfortunately missed the action.

The team of monitors then watched as the eagle got stuck into its meal.

A black stork.

Last edited:
Good Lord:eek!:

It does bring to mind an incident some 40 years ago when i watched a close relative, an African Hawk Eagle, stoop and hit about 6 times.....a Maribou Stork in Kenya! The Stork was a fledged juvenile-type and was trying to fly low when the Hawk Eagle hit it from above forcing it to crash to the ground from about 10 feet it continued to do this but the plucky Stork managed to gain height albeit with flecks of blood showing on the lower neck...

Laurie -

Nothing to match those experiences here but I love hearing birding stories and we have all got a few. That’s why it’s such fun meeting up with other birders and recounting such memories so thanks.

A good morning at the Cap with 8 Bee-eaters leaving very early, 4 Marsh harriers headed for Africa and two adult Bonelli’s eagles put in an appearance. Also an Eleonora’s falcon, a Peregrine and a few local Booted eagles.
On the approach road going home I saw three White storks getting up from the fields. They gained height and headed north.
There is some question about whether these three are the same ones seen near Palma all summer. My guess is that they are. Before migrating, perhaps they go out for a look-see before departing which I believe they do at the end of August. That’s my theory anyway.
Mike

Last night I attended the presentation of the annual bird report at the headquarters of GOB and what a great evening it was.
A chance to catch up with people I haven’t seen in a while and give thanks to Carlos who works tirelessly throughout the year compiling thousands of records, sifting through them all, creating charts and highlights, first and last dates etc; it’s amazing that such devotion exists in the bird world.
A copy will soon be available online in English for a small payment.
Again, Steve works away in this heat translating all the records so that we can all enjoy the birding highlights of the year and see how each individual species is faring.
As we have been talking about Bonelli’s eagles, I see that eight chicks were successfully reared in the wild last year so they are doing ok.
My thanks to all these fine people and I am proud to be part of the birding scene here.
Mike

A great day at the Cap with an early Montagu’s Harrier followed by 11 Marsh Harrier and a Hobby.
Later this evening streams of migrants could be seen heading south with large groups of Grey heron and a few Hobby.
One of these super-sleek falcons flew low over my village just before 8pm as they do every year. Because we only go to the Cap for the mornings I guess we assume migration takes place then but I have seen many birds heading out over the sea just before dark. Lots more to learn about migration I think.
Let’s see what tomorrow brings.
Mike.

The Hobby flew very low over a garden party that I was attending. In the evening sun, it looked simply stunning with that familiar look of a bird about head out over the sea.
I leapt in the air and was covered with goose-pimples but everyone around me failed to understand my delight. I know that every birder will understand though.
I won’t sleep much tonight and I will be at the lighthouse before first light. Birding is without doubt the most exciting thing I’ve ever done and I feel very lucky to have such an absorbing and challenging pursuit. It’s addictive.
Mike

Amen to that Mike. There's nothing quite like the thrill of not knowing what's going to turn up next, especially when migration is in full swing. Although I get the same buzz whenever I get the opportunity of a few hours out in the field.

A great morning at the Cap.
156 Scopoli’s shearwaters went out from Cabrera at first light heading east.
Nothing much else happened until the rest of the group turned up.
Ten of us enjoyed huge groups of Bee-eaters swirling around calling all the time, over 100 for sure but it’s often difficult to locate them all.
One group of five Black Kite, another group of eight, three of Marsh Harrier and a Hobby.
It’s still very hot and humid but should cool down a bit soon.
We are still waiting for the first Honey Buzzard to come through.
Mike

1st Full Day:
Ca'n Cuarassa 07.00-09.00 - pretty quiet, 3 Tree pipit and 4 'Flava' Wags South, 2 Spotless Starling, 2 Thekla Larks.
Ad Egyptian Vulture Drifting South from West Side of Port de Pollensa at 09.20 and Male Monties moving Easterly at 13.05.

Walk round Llenaire (port de Pollensa) 07.00-08.30.
8+ Redstarts Inc 5 together, 42 Stone Curlew strung out together in a ploughed field, and singles of Wryneck, Woodchat and Turtle dove.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back