• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (3 Viewers)

Great, thanks Jason! I’ll try to get back to the Bassa to check for rings if possible before submitting the record. I guess with so many escaped and feral Ruddy Shelducks (and waterfowl in general!) wandering around Europe nowadays, it’s never really possible to tell anymore. A Moroccan ring would be nice to find on one of them ;)

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 35TH AND LAST SO FAR.... 9TH-15TH APRIL 2017
FINAL DAYS AND END OF BINS
On Sunday 9th we awoke to a severe power cut which affected the hotel until 0900 and delayed breakfast somewhat. Eventually it was decided I would take the boys to San Salvador, but we were held up for some time by a triathlon near Felanitx. We eventually got to the monastery with its brilliant views over all the island, but the birding interest was minimal. We then went to Porto Colom but got held up again so diverted down an unofficial back route to s'Agar bay, where there were Thekla Larks but no Balearic Warblers and Scopoli's Shearwaters but no Balearics. On the way back a first-summer Night Heron was a bizarre sight roosting in a dry storm culvert with no cover whatsoever.
On the Monday we went up the Boquer but there was little of interest except on the way down when my wife dropped her hat over the wall at the finca and i had to scramble down to the terrace below and retrieve it, then climb back up- and the area was covered in thorns and thistles. Tuesday saw us go to Deia, and as usual struggle to find a parking spot, getting one eventually by the village school. We walked down to the cala and stayed on the beach, where I saw some Blue Tits and a lone Pallid Swift going in and out of a sea cave in the cliffs. On Wednesday i started at La Gola and met Pep Manchado, and then drove to Albufera for a nice morning with showy Little Bitterns, singing and visible Moustached and Great Reed Warblers, and a good range of waders to add to those seen the week before. Whinchat and Common Tern were also new in.
On Thursday I went to the tower at Albufereta again, meeting Ilya Mclean, but there was little new available, so I went back to Can Cuarassa, meeting a family from York and showing them their first Water Pipit. In the evening we had to call out a Doctor to my wife who had an infected injection site, as she had had to have injections for her migraines. The doctor charged 100 Euros and the prescription was 51 Euros- I had to go to Pollensa town in the morning as it was Good Friday and only one farmacia in the area was open. On the way back a last visit to the Boquer and I met Chris Chapleo who also reports on this site, but we could not pick up any Balearic Warblers between us. In the afternoon a last brief beach visit at Victoria before returning the hire car, and then back on the bus for packing.
Saturday was our last day, and still has been my last day on the island- the journey back went well until Terminal 5 at Heathrow, where passport control took ages, and we were directed to the wrong baggage reclaim belt. I could see lots of luggage going round and round on a distant carousel, so I got out my bins and indeed could see the Palma flight luggage was there in the distance. We all rushed off to the belt, and it was only when in the taxi on the M25 near to Watford that I realised that my bins had gone missing! Either I had left them on our luggage trolley or someone had cut them from my neck probably with a bit of distraction thrown in. Anyhow, on that sad note we must end- although I hope to be back on the island at some point to renew friendships and see the great birds again.
PS It might be interesting just to show my Mallorca list as a sort of postscript with commentary if that is OK.
PPS I had insured my Bins with Aviva, as a specific named item, and although only insured for £900, the guy in Glasgow who dealt with me asked me how much a similar Leica model now cost, and offered me £1300- not bad for 20 year old Binoculars- Respect to him!

Today was the day of the year when we "climb up" to the top of the Teix Mountain near Valldemossa, looking for the pairs of spectacled warbler on the flats near the top.
We saw at least 3 males (one was with a female) singing and territorials, so I am so glad when I see this little population return year after year from Africa.
We also saw the other target of the hiking, the red rock thrush, also very territorial, just up the tip of the mountain.

Attachments

• 196 MerleraVermella.jpg
    196 MerleraVermella.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 195 BusqueretTrencamates.jpg
    195 BusqueretTrencamates.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
A party hosted by Lalo and Susana last night to celebrate the end of season migration watch was great fun as usual.
Good company, excellent local produce and lots of laughter.
After such a late night, a gentle walk around Mondragó was in order.
Having got to the viewing platform, a silhouette of a cuckoo species flew close by. It set my pulse racing but I couldn’t get on it again. Jane watched it fly towards the pines and into some open fields.
We scoured the area for an hour but no further sign.
Three Bee-eaters flew overhead calling, an Eleonora’s falcon flew by, good numbers of Turtle doves were purring away, some Pallid swift were around the coast and two Black-winged stilts were feeding along the torrent.
I always feel I don’t spend enough time in my local park, I feel sure there are some great birds to be seen so I hope to be going there more in the future.
Mike

Thanks for your kind words- and I too would love to be back, but now I am over a certain age insurance for foreign travel is likely to be quite expensive.... but we will see.
For my list proposal I am going to start with those species I saw in all 17 of my visits, and then work down to the once only sightings- so here goes with the common ones- all seen in all 17 visits. Sorry for the old-fashioned order but I used Hearl (1999)as my checklist basis and he uses the Voous/BWP order.
LITTLE GREBE
SCOPOLI'S SHEARWATER
CORMORANT
SHAG(Desmarestii)
NIGHT HERON
CATTLE EGRET
LITTLE EGRET
PURPLE HERON
SHELDUCK
GADWALL
TEAL
MALLARD
SHOVELER
RED-CRESTED POCHARD
POCHARD
MARSH HARRIER
BOOTED EAGLE
OSPREY
KESTREL
RED-LEGGED PARTRIDGE
MOORHEN
PURPLE GALLINULE
COOT
BLACK-WINGED STILT
STONE CURLEW
LITTLE RINGED PLOVER
KENTISH PLOVER
GREENSHANK
GREEN SANDPIPER
COMMON SANDPIPER
BLACK-HEADED GULL
AUDUOIN'S GULL
YELLOW-LEGGED GULL
ROCK DOVE(FERAL PIGEON)
WOODPIGEON
COMMON SWIFT
HOOPOE
SAND MARTIN
CRAG MARTIN
SWALLOW
HOUSE MARTIN
YELLOW WAGTAIL
COMMON REDSTART
STONECHAT
BLUE ROCK THRUSH
BLACKBIRD
CETTI'S WARBLER
FAN-TAILED WARBLER (ZITTING CISTICOLA)
SARDINIAN WARBLER
BLACKCAP
WILLOW WARBLER
FIRECREST
GREAT TIT
RAVEN
HOUSE SPARROW
CHAFFINCH
SERIN
GREENFINCH
GOLDFINCH
LINNET
CORN BUNTING

TOTAL 61 Species seen in all 17 spring visits.

A discussion is taking place about the status of Lesser Kestrel in Mallorca.
I remember talking to some visiting birders who said they saw both male and female birds going into an old farm building with food during the early summer months at Salobrar de Campos.
I also saw an adult male one November so there is a possibility of some individuals wintering here too.
If anyone has any information, perhaps they could let us know.
Many thanks, Mike.

The reserve at Albufera was looking magnificent on this fine and sunny day.
The main paths are open but the hides are all closed to the public.
I believe they will re-open on the first of July.
Nevertheless, we had a great day with damsel and dragonflies, Glossy ibis seemed to be everywhere we looked, Egrets galore, Marsh Harrier, Common tern, Great Reed Warbler, Eleonora’s Falcon and many other breeding birds.
It was such a picture that the birds were not so important, it is a great place to visit for the day and take a slow stroll around.
We only saw three other people all day.
Mike

Last edited:
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS POSTSCRIPT 2- BIRDS SEEN 16 DOWN TO 10 TIMES OUT OF THE 17 VISITS
GARGANEY
COMMON SNIPE
SPOTTED REDSHANK
COLLARED DOVE
SANDWICH TERN
SCOPS OWL
THEKLA LARK
WHITE WAGTAIL
ROBIN
CHIFFCHAFF
WOODCHAT SHRIKE
CROSSBILL
GREY HERON
MOUSTACHED WARBLER
CIRL BUNTING
MEADOW PIPIT
NIGHTINGALE
BALEARIC WARBLER
GREAT WHITE EGRET
BLACK VULTURE
AVOCET
WRYNECK
PIED FLYCATCHER
BLUE TIT
BALEARIC SHEARWATER
RED KITE
LITTLE STINT
RUFF
GREAT CRESTED GREBE
PEREGRINE
TAWNY PIPIT
WATER PIPIT
BLACK REDSTART
WHINCHAT
NORTHERN WHEATEAR
SONG THRUSH
GREAT REED WARBLER

So thus ends the list of the moderately likely birds to be seen on an Easter visit- but remember i always had family responsibilities and could not bird all the time. Next time- on to the rarer ones!

Also the following Odonata at Albufera today.
Thanks to Stewb for identifying them.
Male black-tailed skimmer
Goblet-marked damselfly
Small red-eyed damselfly
Mike

One of the Ruddy Shelducks was still at Bassa de Can Guidet today, I do wonder what has happened to the other one... Sadly I’m yet to see it on the bank to check for rings! Also two unseasonal Green Sandpipers there today. I then went to Cap Blanc, which I had heard used to be a reliable site for Rock Sparrows, but seemingly not for a few years now? As expected, I drew blank, but it was nice to see at least three Tawny Pipits, a Blue Rock Thrush, lots of Pallid Swifts and three Peregrines circling overhead together. Does anyone know if Rock Sparrow still breeds in Mallorca?

Meanwhile, Squacco Herons are still around at Santa Ponça Golf II with a handful of other waterbirds (including a pair of Ospreys and several Little Egrets) though they’ve become a lot harder to see as the golfers are back ;)

Red-rumped Swallows and Alpine Swifts are still in the Es Capdellà area, and I’ve seen Eleonora’s Falcons hunting over the fields regularly in recent days.

Sadly it’s likely that I’ll be leaving the island in the next few weeks to move to New Zealand, I’m going to miss it enormously and I really hope I can be back soon.

In the meantime, with 37 new Mallorca ticks since I arrived in late February, I’m starting to build a reasonable Mallorca list and I’d love to add a few more before I go! I’ve put the reasonable targets below along with where I’ll try for them, if anyone knows a better place to try it would be very much appreciated :)

Water Rail - S’Albufera
Storm Petrel- Porto Colom
Yelkouan Shearwater- Porto Colom
Little Bittern- S’Albufera
Egyptian Vulture- Albercutx
Barn Owl- ???
Dartford Warbler- Porto Colom/Son Real
Spectacled Warbler- Puig des Teix
Common Rockthrush- Puig des Teix
Common Waxbill- Muro

Does anyone know if Rock Sparrow still breeds in Mallorca?
Water Rail - S’Albufera
Storm Petrel- Porto Colom
Yelkouan Shearwater- Porto Colom
Little Bittern- S’Albufera
Egyptian Vulture- Albercutx
Barn Owl- ???
Dartford Warbler- Porto Colom/Son Real
Spectacled Warbler- Puig des Teix
Common Rockthrush- Puig des Teix
Common Waxbill- Muro

Yes they do, at Cap Blanc you have to go east (left) around 1-2 km, they are in this area, before the coast turn 90º, but they are always difficult to see because they live under the cliff, and sometimes it is easier to ear them if there are not wind.

For this birds I would say:
Water Rail - S’Albufera: Albufereta is also good, and also salobrar, most listened than seen
Storm Petrel- Porto Colom: Yes but in the last hour of sun (scope need)
Yelkouan Shearwater- Porto Colom (scope need)
Egyptian Vulture- Albercutx: I would try Cala sant Vicent better, walk to coves blanques
Barn Owl- ???: Every where and nowhere
Dartford Warbler- Porto Colom/Son Real: yes, both sides of the 2 fences on the side of Can Picafort (half way near the sea)
Spectacled Warbler- Puig des Teix yes
Common Rockthrush- Puig des Teix yes
Common Waxbill- Muro: entrance to Cami des Polls

I hope you find some of them

Attachments

• 186 GorrioRoquer.jpg
    186 GorrioRoquer.jpg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi Gregor
I agree with everything Pep says.
We looked for Rock sparrow many times without success but we were always told to go west from Cap Blanc lighthouse but as Pep says, going east is much better. They are either on the edge of the cliffs or just below but you can hear them usually.
I hope we get to meet before you go but you are going to live in a fantastic country. Good luck with everything. You have seen some great birds here in Mallorca so thanks for all your input. It’s been great fun hearing about your lockdown experiences, a time that none of us will ever forget.
Mike

The reserve at Albufera was looking magnificent on this fine and sunny day.
The main paths are open but the hides are all closed to the public.
I believe they will re-open on the first of July.
Nevertheless, we had a great day with damsel and dragonflies, Glossy ibis seemed to be everywhere we looked, Egrets galore, Marsh Harrier, Common tern, Great Reed Warbler, Eleonora’s Falcon and many other breeding birds.
It was such a picture that the birds were not so important, it is a great place to visit for the day and take a slow stroll around.
We only saw three other people all day.
Mike

Sounds Idyllic!!!

It’s all gone rather quiet as migration seems finally to be over.
Still lots of good things to see.
I don’t know anyone who has been to Cúber reservoir but there is always a chance of seeing Spectacled Warbler and Rufous-tailed Rock thrush. They used to be regular there but not so in recent years. It’s a good place for Moltoni’s Warbler though.
Son Bosc at the Albufera reserve is a spectacular place to see big numbers of Eleonora’s falcons in the evening, hunting over the scrub. Around 170 examples were seen recently.
A Barnacle goose has turned up near the airport but I would have thought its provenance was dodgy. This remains to be seen.
I hope birders in other parts of Europe are getting out more now.
Mike

Mike Montier; I hope birders in other parts of Europe are getting out more now. Mike[/QUOTE said:
It’s a bit bizarre in the UK. Despite our appalling death rate, restrictions are easing, and many birders are behaving as though restrictions don’t exist. There are photos and accounts of twitches where social-distancing and restrained behaviour have gone out of the window. Even at local heaths and nature reserves walkers (especially dog walkers) seem to be paying little attention to the well-being of others.

Despite this I’ve been getting out in as safe a way as possible. By deliberately avoiding groups and crowds I’ve “missed” some good Norfolk birds, but there are some lovely places, especially in the Brecks, where space can be found. And some birds have stayed, allowing me to go when things are much quieter - so I’ve caught up with squacco, Rose-coloured starling, Savi’s warbler and Caspian tern, among others!

Sadly our booked trip to the Island next week was cancelled some time ago, and I fear that our September booking will go the same way. But hey, we’ll get back some time I’m sure.

Take care everyone.

Stew

Yes they do, at Cap Blanc you have to go east (left) around 1-2 km, they are in this area, before the coast turn 90º, but they are always difficult to see because they live under the cliff, and sometimes it is easier to ear them if there are not wind.

For this birds I would say:
Water Rail - S’Albufera: Albufereta is also good, and also salobrar, most listened than seen
Storm Petrel- Porto Colom: Yes but in the last hour of sun (scope need)
Yelkouan Shearwater- Porto Colom (scope need)
Egyptian Vulture- Albercutx: I would try Cala sant Vicent better, walk to coves blanques
Barn Owl- ???: Every where and nowhere
Dartford Warbler- Porto Colom/Son Real: yes, both sides of the 2 fences on the side of Can Picafort (half way near the sea)
Spectacled Warbler- Puig des Teix yes
Common Rockthrush- Puig des Teix yes
Common Waxbill- Muro: entrance to Cami des Polls

I hope you find some of them

Fantastic, thanks so much Josep! That’s really helpful. I tried s’Albufera for the rail and little Bittern yesterday, but with no luck sadly, though lots of the usual waterbirds including plenty of Glossy Ibises and a Squacco Heron. I may try Puig des Teix tomorrow.

I’ll make sure I try all of these places before I head off! My mum’s partner says that he used to see Barn Owl almost nightly in Es Capdellà but not a few years now sadly.

Hopefully I can see at least a few of these and enjoy a few more days out birding before I head off!

Last edited:
Hi Gregor
I agree with everything Pep says.
We looked for Rock sparrow many times without success but we were always told to go west from Cap Blanc lighthouse but as Pep says, going east is much better. They are either on the edge of the cliffs or just below but you can hear them usually.
I hope we get to meet before you go but you are going to live in a fantastic country. Good luck with everything. You have seen some great birds here in Mallorca so thanks for all your input. It’s been great fun hearing about your lockdown experiences, a time that none of us will ever forget.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I too hope we can meet before I go. My family is all living in Mallorca now, so I’ll most certainly be back as soon as it’s possible to travel without quarantine again! Thanks goodness for Mallorca’s birds keeping me sane during this time, they’ve been a total lifesaver for me! Hopefully there are still a few great birds to come in the next couple of weeks...

I was already in the area, so went to see the Barnacle Goose today. It’s surely of suspect origin, but it seems to be hearing no rings at least ;) also a Green Sandpiper, some Black-winged Stilts and Little Ringed Plovers and lots of Yellow Wagtails there.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back