• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

I thought I’d been a bit selfish with my remarks about photography as there are many others who contribute fine photos to this thread like Mike Swiss, Geordie David, derban, Clive, Kevin, Stew, Pep others.
It’s just that none of them can get here at the moment and I was trying to keep this thread alive in their absence.
I know many of them are itching to get here but just can’t under current restrictions.
Like so many people, I look forward to better times when we can all get back to normal.
I miss meeting up with visitors and I just hope it won’t be too long before we can roam freely around the Island seeing some great birds. Migration is just beginning so we could do with some help in finding a few rare and scarce birds.
Mike

Last edited:
Mike, I'm one of the many "itching to get here". I've already had flights cancelled in every month January-May this year. There does appear to be a glimmer of hope that we will be allowed to travel from 17 May but I think much will depend on whether Mallorca is ready to receive us. With only 3% vaccinated there remains much to do to make it safe for everyone. I'm looking forward to getting back and enjoying many lazy days with others and don't mind finding common, scarce or rare birds while we enjoy your beautiful island. See you soon?

Mike, we'll be there on Sunday! All systems go at the moment, despite lots of faffing about from the German authorities. I am looking forward massively to being there, if only for a short visit this time. In the meantime, keep up the good work. I greatly enjoy reading your posts and seeing the photos. It's a great way to stay in touch. Hope to see you very soon and thanks again.

Great news derban!
The salt pans await. Hopefully we can arrange to meet there, just checking if we are allowed to. If not, I will just have to bump into you there.
There should be some migrants arriving there.
Fatima is at the tower now. She has already seen a Sparrowhawk and two migrant Kestrels.
Always go the day after I’ve been. It’s a good bet.
Mike

Hi Geordie David, I hope you can get here this time without further cancellations.
The vaccination programme is oh so slow which is worrying.
Many tourists have arrived already, just not from the UK.
I’m keeping well away as I’ve seen so many people without masks.
Mike

Like many others, we’re suffering terribly by not being able to get over from the UK. We’ve had so much disappointment, with opportunities snatched away just when we think we might be able to travel. Still, the spring is coming and with it comes some optimism. Today I’ve seen my first little ringed plovers of the year and four species of butterfly, so it’s far from all bad news! So, trying to get some perspective and trying not to be over-optimistic, we’re hoping to have a good summer in the UK and make it to Mallorca in the autumn. If things change to enable us to come earlier we’ll be ready!

Stew

The Balearics have been pretty lively today with reports of Sparrowhawk, Grey heron, Marsh Harrier, Woodchat Shrike, Sub-alpine Warbler, Common redstart and Wheatears.
It was the tower at Albercutx where most of the excitement was though with a flythrough of 12 White stork quickly followed by a Short-toed Eagle. This bird was thought to be the same one that has been seen and photographed over the winter in the north of Mallorca.
I was out walking today at Petra but I drove through many small villages on the way there and every one had groups of House Martin around their old nests so there must have been a big influx.
It all bodes well for the weekend at the tower and other migration hotspots.
I will report.
I saw this bird today which must be an escape but it was free-flying so someone must be missing it. I’m not sure what it is but I think I’ve seen one in captivity before.
Mike

Attachments

• 31AE10C7-1496-42C5-BF53-E07404DCCD97.jpeg
    31AE10C7-1496-42C5-BF53-E07404DCCD97.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
I just stepped out onto the balcony in the fading light to watch the last shearwaters going south and I got an eyeful of Common swift, at least 30.
I get very emotional whenever I see my fist ones of the year. I’m not sure why but they always have a great impact on me. I do love Swifts and I have a lifetime ambition to see a White-throated needletail at some point. Maybe one day.
Mike

Funny you should say that Mike - I love the swifts too, and get correspondingly saddened when they are suddenly no longer there in late summer/early autumn. But if I am lucky I get to see them a bit longer in Mallorca than up north here.

Lots of common migrants seen today and some movement of raptors including a Common Buzzard, Marsh Harrier and Common Kestrel .
Also, two Egyptian vultures were seen in the north, hopefully settling down to breed.
More news tomorrow I’m sure as migration is only just beginning to hot up.
Mike

We've arrived safely! And we were greeted first by house martins flying over the house, then large numbers of swifts and a couple of swallows to finish off with. It gave me a great sense of elation. Must be a good omen for our stay.

Welcome back to Mallorca derban, you are in the very lucky minority of people who are able to get here, traveling from Germany seems possible whereas it isn’t from the UK.
Sounds like a good omen to me, a nice selection of summer migrants and what delightful birds they are..
A good weekend at the tower, Albercutx with 2 Black Kite, 13 Common Kestrel, 12 Marsh Harrier and 3 Booted Eagle.
The two Egyptian vultures seen apparently went north so they won’t be staying to breed.
Following on from the 12 White stork seen flying over the tower, there are now around 20 individuals at Son Ferriol near the airport. This is a very high number so it does suggest an invasion is occurring.
It will be very interesting to see how many stay here for the summer.
I believe another one or two Great spotted cuckoo have been recorded.
All records of raptors by kind permission of GORA, the raptor migration study group.
Mike

Last edited:
Mike mentioned a Little Crake being seen in Binissalem, here is a picture of it, and that of a Sedge Warbler which was also present there.
Also today, Mike and I, at different times, saw a large group of Whimbrels at Salobrar, a total of 62 which we believe must a record for the island._R_A5219.jpg_R_A8363-Edit.jpg_R_A8830.jpg

Great photos Patrick, thank you.
I was at Salobrar very briefly just after lunch out and as soon as I stepped out of the car at 15.50 I saw a large group of waders just coming in. They settled quite far away.
I puzzled over the size and then concluded that they must be Whimbrel but as I’ve only ever seen singles here in Mallorca, I questioned it.
I only had a poor pair of binoculars in the car but I managed to confirm that they were indeed Whimbrel.
It’s great news then that you have not only confirmed with photos, but you also have an accurate count. Well done. Must surely be a record?
Pep also had an exciting find and I believe he will post details later.
Mike

Hi, as Mike said yesterday i had a nice observation.
Migration is very calmed here, maybe because the super good weather, so birds go on to the north and dont stop on the island. I was at Cases Velles early, but there was completelly empty of migrants there, only a common redstart, when suddenly inside a bush it singed 12-15 times one Common Rosefinch!!! What emotion this melodious singing in the middle of the valley.

I hope very soon all frontriers and restrictions will be off, Mallorca is not the same without visitors.

Yet another marvelous trip, as it always is, to the central plain at Pla de Lanzell.
I would be happy to spend the whole day there but it is prudent to offer Jane a lunch out as an added incentive.
At least 5 Lesser Kestrel there, all males. There were some female Kestrel species there but identifying them in the field from afar is probably beyond my ID skills.
Also several Wheatears, a Reed bunting, lots of Yellow wagtails and Corn buntings. A Black kite flew through.
Some poor photos but the grey panel on the upper wing is visible as are the very prominent central tail feathers.

Attachments

• 28D2D65B-3739-4FCC-8790-7DF8A7B2A64D.jpeg
    28D2D65B-3739-4FCC-8790-7DF8A7B2A64D.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 31
  • E3BE02EC-8860-4661-ACDE-260B5AC8BA0C.jpeg
    E3BE02EC-8860-4661-ACDE-260B5AC8BA0C.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 29
  • DBA643AA-43EC-4E1C-AD6E-2BE2BBABC5CC.jpeg
    DBA643AA-43EC-4E1C-AD6E-2BE2BBABC5CC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
I don’t remember ever seeing an Audouin’s gull inland before so I was surprised to see this one in Lidl’s car park, Santanyi today.
Maybe there are other inland records?
Mike

Attachments

• 0D3F063F-1B28-41E1-B667-8F975D939089.jpeg
    0D3F063F-1B28-41E1-B667-8F975D939089.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
I was at Salobrar briefly yesterday and I’m going tomorrow so obviously today was a great day to go.
And so it proved with Toni. P. Seeing two Caspian terns followed by 6 Collared pratincoles.
Grrr...
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back