• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

How lucky we are to have such a hobby! First, there was the fine weather this morning at the Salobrar, then of course it is a special place with its vast expanses with the mountains in the distance. We also spoke to interesting people, a young German couple and a local, all interested in birds. And Mike and I chatted about what the Germans call "Gott und die Welt" – literally god and the world, simply a friendly natter about anything under (and over) the sun. And there were birds. Rarities? Nope. Does that matter? Not much. But there was a fine male Bird That Must Not be Named, a majestic black kite, a decorative yellow wagtail and a hoopoe to raise the spirits just before we got back to our cars. For me that adds up to a fine morning out!

Mallorca04-0521-25.jpgMallorca04-0521-31.jpgMallorca04-0521-167.jpgMallorca04-0521-177.jpg

It was a great morning derban.
Thanks for not mentioning the bird but I have to say one of the most memorable birds I’ve seen in Mallorca was an old cock linnet singing in the evening sun. I have never forgotten it.
The philosophical talk was inspiring, it made up for the lack of pratincoles and terns that I was expecting.
Mike

Attachments

• 98C8E56C-A851-454E-8302-F2E46A765DC5.jpeg
    98C8E56C-A851-454E-8302-F2E46A765DC5.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi everybody. Hope you are all well.
This evening there was a Roller on the wires at Can Cuarassa and also a group of Bee-eaters.
In the morning, at the depuradora, a flock of 15 Yellow wagtail, several Marble ducks, Glossy ibis, and also many many Marsh harriers, about 70 Black-winged stilts (many of them incubating), a few Common terns and a few Avocets among many others (unfortunately I missed the Collared pratincole).
No Bee-eaters at son Bosc yet. Amarador was very very quiet, but two Winchats made the visit worthwhile.
Take care
PD: Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.

Attachments

• 20210503_191225.jpg
    20210503_191225.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 28
We had a fine trip to Son Real today, the weather perfect again and the woods alive with birdsong. Mainly the usual suspects on view, but I was pleased to make out a woodchat shrike and a nightingale. Also goldfinches, greenfinches, serin, linnet, and then the sparrows - first hard at it, then him looking pleased with himself and her getting on with the housework...

Mallorca04-0521-211.jpgMallorca04-0521-431.jpgMallorca04-0521-447.jpgMallorca04-0521-265.jpgMallorca04-0521-355.jpgMallorca04-0521-393.jpg

Today i saw a nice Roller just around the Depuradora at s'Albufera.
When the rollers are here, migration is finishing, they are on the last package of birds arriving Mallorca from Africa.
And Sunday, Biel and me had the good luck to see a 2 nice Grasshoper warblers, near port de Pollença, it is a migrant in Majorca, but by the attitude of the two birds it looked as maybe they were going to breed there.
Regards

Attachments

• 193 GaigBlau.jpg
    193 GaigBlau.jpg
    776 KB · Views: 29
  • 193 BoscarlerPintat.jpg
    193 BoscarlerPintat.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 29
Thanks Pere, Pep and derban for your messages. So good to have some other input.
Today, one of the best walks I’ve been on here through the central plain.
It was so peaceful with acres of wild flowers and fields full of grasses and cereal crops.
Everyone had time to stop and talk but I only saw locals, no visitors.
Lots of larks, buntings, wagtails and raptors but somehow, it didn’t really matter.

Adolfo had a big surprise at the tower when 56 Black kite came through.
A large group was seen a few days ago so presumably the same birds. I don’t know where they have all been hiding in the meantime but nobody saw them.
Mike

Attachments

• 5D415260-7325-428B-AC2F-88F7A751555C.jpeg
    5D415260-7325-428B-AC2F-88F7A751555C.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 29
  • F1F0101C-2186-4E79-BEA5-62796A2DC1FB.jpeg
    F1F0101C-2186-4E79-BEA5-62796A2DC1FB.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 13FD7278-100E-4EB5-8ACB-797464B72E5A.jpeg
    13FD7278-100E-4EB5-8ACB-797464B72E5A.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 26
  • A0E79ACB-3543-426B-86A0-FB66729A5A4D.jpeg
    A0E79ACB-3543-426B-86A0-FB66729A5A4D.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 22
Many reports of groups of Bee-eaters moving through today.
Driving through the area around Ses Salines near the botanic gardens and salt pans, I was surprised to see quite a few Spotless starlings around. This species is definitely on the increase here.
I also saw two Black kites soaring near the Cap and moving off north.
A while later I saw a Spoonbill flying towards the salt pans.
On our walk I noticed quite a few breeding Pallid swift going to and from the caves along the south coast near s’estanyol.
No news from anywhere else today but no doubt the weekend will bring news of further migration. A good Honey Buzzard day is overdue.
Mike

Lalo got off to a good start this morning with a Roller and a Common cuckoo in the same bush at Gotmar.
So far at the tower, a Montagu’s Harrier, two Egyptian vultures, a few Black kite, one Honey Buzzard and three Booted eagles.
I wonder when the big numbers of Honey Buzzard will arrive, only a handful seen this year so far.
It’s now much warmer with more favourable winds so maybe tomorrow will be better for this much anticipated species.
Mike

Following up Mike's tip with the pallid swift near S'Estanyol, I went for a walk along the coast there this morning and was rewarded by two or three pairs of spotted flycatchers along the beach and northern wheatears among the rocks on the clifftops. There were a number of other species too including linnet and Sardinian warblers as well as some Kentish plovers scurrying among the rocks. Quite a lot to be seen as I was out before the joggers and dog walkers. And then just as I had decided I had had enough, a group of pallid swift shot by, too quick for a photo though. Thank you Mike!

Mallorca04-0521-219.jpgMallorca04-0521-256.jpgMallorca04-0521-301.jpg

They are a bit quick those swifts, I’ve been trying to get an image that is more than a dark smudge but it’s very difficult.
After days of trying I managed a half decent one today.
I will go to Porto Colom to try for a Pallid swift.
I remember standing on the cliffs with stewb and they came into the cave just over our heads so I’m hopeful.
Mike

Attachments

• B0A93E48-2508-443A-8ED2-B0D908455856.jpeg
    B0A93E48-2508-443A-8ED2-B0D908455856.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 51067C1D-AEF2-4B85-AE6D-1F91D8762812.jpeg
    51067C1D-AEF2-4B85-AE6D-1F91D8762812.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 35
  • BF7A57A3-4AA3-4B23-9786-B8F1EF01CE91.jpeg
    BF7A57A3-4AA3-4B23-9786-B8F1EF01CE91.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 33
They are a bit quick those swifts, I’ve been trying to get an image that is more than a dark smudge but it’s very difficult.
I remember standing on the cliffs with stewb and they came into the cave just over our heads so I’m hopeful.
Mike
Well done Mike!

Mike
It was a fantastic experience - with the added distraction of the “missing” German guy who was eventually found scaling the cliffs in flip-flops!

Stew

It wasn’t just the missing man that was distracting me, I couldn’t quite concentrate on what the young lady was saying. I will say no more. I really thought we were searching for a corpse.
Still, it all ended well but fancy scaling the cliffs in flip-flops.
Mike

Pep has just seen the first Storm petrel of the year from Porto Colom. They tend to return to the islands around Cabrera under the cover of darkness so just before dusk is the best time to see them going south down the east coast.
I should have been out there myself tonight but sleepiness got the better of me. I usually then go onto my local site for European Nightjar with the added bonus of Scops owls and the occasional Long-eared owl.
I think I will go mañana..
Mike

It has rained quite heavily for most of today so not much news.
Nightjars are here now and churring in their favoured locations.
Pep reported a minimum of 20 Black terns at Bassa de can guidet.
Big numbers of terns are often seen here which is a fabulous sight. I will take a look round Salobrar tomorrow and also look in at the Salines of Colonia Sant Jordi.
Mike.

After 5 postponed / cancelled flights, 2 Vaccines and 3 PCR tests, finally made it back to this great Island. My thoughts are to friends in UK that are still waiting for the opportunity to be here. It will happen!
The weather was windy today up the north of the island but compared to the rain we have had at home, this was a real pleasure.
Spent the day calmly walking around S’Albufera and S’Albuferata enjoying the fold memories. Very pleased to see that several restaurants and cafes have survived some pretty bad times.
Back to Birds...Good to see Advocets and Black winged Stilts breeding on the islands opposite the new hide in S’Albuferata.
Many birds seen including good views of Male Marsh harriers, Glossy Ibis, Flamingo, Purple Herons, Woodchat Shrike as well as so many Nightingales, Fantailed and Cetti Warblers.
Butterflies seen including Speckled Wood, Clouded Yellow and Swallowtail Several Dragonflies including Chasers etc are enjoying the recent rain puddles.
Great to be back..looking forward to meeting friends again
Need a pint!
MikeS

Attachments

• D661373B-578A-4DB5-B5FE-7C32FF4AE43C.jpeg
    D661373B-578A-4DB5-B5FE-7C32FF4AE43C.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 34E66A87-7F24-4BD0-8771-4F650EC765F6.jpeg
    34E66A87-7F24-4BD0-8771-4F650EC765F6.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 9929BBA3-39A2-4699-9FDE-FE5D2F73AC53.jpeg
    9929BBA3-39A2-4699-9FDE-FE5D2F73AC53.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 5
Great news that you have made it here at last Mike. You can at least submit a total to the Bigyear at the end of this month instead of a big, fat zero for the last four months.
Looking forward to meeting up.
Three Honey Buzzards through the tower today and a Hobby.
I will be living in Ses Salines for the next two weeks so I will be visiting the salt pans every day.
I will miss my regular Seawatching outings to my local lighthouse though. May is a great month and last year I saw both Pomarine skua and Storm petrel.
European Nightjars heard this evening in Mondragó. A great moment in my birding year, they are fabulous birds with such a distinctive flight action, fluttering and swooping as they catch flying insects. Always give me goosebumps.
Mike

Attachments

• 8AB12EA4-22E4-4CE4-9A1F-A9E997AB42EF.jpeg
    8AB12EA4-22E4-4CE4-9A1F-A9E997AB42EF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
A couple of sightings of white-winged black tern have been reported today.
I found one last year and I don’t remember seeing a more elegant and mesmerizing bird before.
They are stunning birds to see as they fly close to the surface of the lagoons, picking insects off the water as they go. Brilliant.
Mike

A couple of sightings of white-winged black tern have been reported today.
I found one last year and I don’t remember seeing a more elegant and mesmerizing bird before.
They are stunning birds to see as they fly close to the surface of the lagoons, picking insects off the water as they go. Brilliant.
Mike
Glad you’re using white-winged black tern and not the new-fangled white-winged tern. Winds me up nearly as much as great egret, instead of great white egret! (Getting old and grumpy..)

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back