• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

That’s a super and very comprehensive report Stew, I’m very glad to have shared some of it with you.
Many thanks, I’m off to Loch Fyne today but missing Mallorca very much.
I want to be at Salobrar ticking off Pectoral sandpiper, still present today, and searching the central plain for the elusive Southern grey shrike.
Mike

I arrived on the island on Sunday night and finally got a couple hours away from the family and poolside to have a wander along the coast near Palma airport and Es Carnatge. Unfortunately I picked the Spanish National Holiday to get out so it was very busy, however still managed to see a few bits. A couple of Audouin's Gull greeted me on the beach and a flock of 8 Turnstone were feeding close to the path. A single Shag was sunning and feeding out at the island in amongst some snorkelers. There were plenty of House Sparrows about and plenty of Stonechat. Once off the main path I found a good number of Sardinan warbler, I counted 17 but there were plenty more singing in the bushes. Not much else to see though, but difficult to concentrate at times once on the waste land as I know this location is the hang out for some pretty unsavoury characters, but always worth a look. Probably visit a couple more times before the family head home Monday, and I move up the island for a week of birding on my own :D

Attachments

• Audouin's Gull.jpg
    Audouin's Gull.jpg
    834.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Turnstone.jpg
    Turnstone.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Shag.jpg
    Shag.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Sardinian Warbler.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Black-headed Gull.jpg
    Black-headed Gull.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Turnstone 01.jpg
    Turnstone 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Audouin's Gull 01.jpg
    Audouin's Gull 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I've written up some notes from my ten day stay at the end of September - it was wonderful to be back after a two year enforced absence. The report was too large (too many photos I suspect) to attach here, so hopefully the link below will work! If not and you would like a copy, DM me with an email address and I'll send a copy.

Stew

Looks very good, only had a quick browse through, but will have a good read later. Hopefully it will help me out here birding properly for the first time :D

Biel reports that the Iberian shrike is still at Pla de Lanzell.
Also a Lesser kestrel there.
He also saw a Ferruginous duck at Can Guidet.
Some Northern gannet have been seen too.

I have forgotten how beautiful Eider ducks are. We saw several on the way to Loch Fyne.
Only very special birds give me goosebumps and Eider are definitely on the list.
Shrewsbury tomorrow.
Mike

Arrived back on Mallorca after a 6.30am flight from Heathrow. Arrived at hotel in Port de Pollensa around 1.30pm so birding was restricted to local area.
Approached La Gola from eastern end and was immediately hit by the number of Robins that had arrived. A little further around and just managed a view of a Booted Eagle being harassed by a Kestrel before the pair disappeared from view.
By far the best event of the short trip was catching up with Cristina at the La Gola Centre. It's been a few years since we last met but I always learn something when our paths cross. Great to see you again Cristina - you are a rare gem. And by the way, if you read this can you remind me of the Phylloscopus warbler you mentioned? You thought it might be Two-barred warbler but I didn't catch the second part of the latin name that tripped off your tongue like all good Mallorcan birders.
On the return along the breezy promenade Audouin Gulls were on the offshore rocks and a Sandwich Tern was in search of food.
Later on it was a pleasure to read Stew's report of his trip (sometimes, just sometimes I wish I could drive!)
And at this hour of the evening I'm going in search of a good night's sleep.
I was ever so pleased to see that my visit coincides with an Ironman. I'm just hoping I can at least walk round the disruption and get to S'Albufereta tomorrow. Saturday is the main day of the Ironman - be warned.

Managed a bit of of birding from the hotel balcony this morning, must have been a decent shoal of fish out in the bay as a large group of Yellow-legged Gull's were feeding away along with half a dozen or so Shag, and a single Sandwich Tern Also what looked like a Cormorant high up coming in to join the party (did get excited for a moment seeing a big black bird out in the distance). Again got excited looking out beyond Palma while photographing a landing aircraft, a large bird flashed through the view finder out towards the mountains. Managed to relocate it and get some pin prick shots, enough to tell me it was a Red kite. Later this afternoon some Swallow's were hunting in and around the hotel.

First full day and as I'd been warned on TIB site there was disruption to buses. I walked to nearest bus stop at Llenaire and police and officials were taping off access at the nearby roundabout. No bus arrived at the expected time so it was the 4/5k walk to S'Albufereta. Turned off at C'an Cuarassa, but very little to report except for a single Swallow passing through. Back on the main road a group of five Swallow on passage were noted.
At S'Albufereta, I had brief view of Hoopoe in the woods on my way to the highviewing tower. Two juvenile Flamingos were on the water and a Great White Egret was present. As far as I could see the only wildfowl present were Mallard. A Greenshank was seen on the scrapes near the low viewing tower. And a Cormorant flew across.
I saw a large bird of prey through the scope over by the mountain with the telecoms equipment on top but even on full whack I couldn't say for definite but it may have been a Griffon Vulture. The head on view in flight seemed very flat and I got the impression of some lighter colour on top. Collins doesn't give head on views for all vultures and eagles, so it will just have to be a maybe ( and not a lifer for me).
Sightings from the hide were Common Sandpiper on the nearby scrapes with another on the new scrapes near the viewing screen, four Black-winged Stilt, Greenshank and a single Stone Curlew in the fields across the water.
And then there was the walk back!
In the afternoon, walking through La Gola to Patisseria Bisanyes for coffee and cake, I saw four Raven enjoying the strong breeze.
Later, off the beach, there were groups of Audouin Gulls and Shag (eight), while four Sandwich Tern each took a perch on four buoys.
The final event of note for the day was on the short walk from hotel along the front to a Llenaire restaurant at 7pmish. Seven or eight Swallow left shore and headed off into the bay - so northwards. I watched until I lost sight of them, but there was no movement back to land. Puzzling as to what migration route they were on, but then there's so much I/we don't know about migration.

Today, my feet gave thanks to TIB as buses were running to Alcudia on some sort of timetable.
It was another morning visit to S'Albufereta, starting off at the screen where there was a Common Sandpiper, Greenshank and numerous Kentish Plovers. Taking the back lane to the main track to woods, viewing towers and hide a Kingfisher flew across and perched briefly.
From the high viewing tower was somewhat different than the day before. The two juvenile Flamingos had been joined by an adult. And while no Coots were seen yesterday their numbers must have been nudging three figures today. Apart from Mallard there were five female Pintail. Great White Egret, Grey Heron and Little Egret were noted.
A Common Sandpiper and Greenshank were seen on the scrapes near the hide while looking back to the scrapes near the viewing screen showed that three Black-winged Stilt and 20+ Cattle Egret had arrived.
I can't say it was inspired choice to concentrate on the trees on the left of the hide but it did make my day. Within minutes a bird shot into them, but all I saw was a stripey bum. Fortunately the bird decided to show its full self after a few minutes, so I was treated to great views of a Wryneck, confirming my thoughts. (It's the first I've seen since one at Rainham Marshes 18 years ago, just after I started birding again.)
A Firecrest in the woods completed a good morning's birding.
On the rocks in the bay, Shag and Sandwich Tern numbers - 10 and six respectively -were up on yesterday.
Otherwise a lazy afternoon was partly filled by looking at my twitter timeline. One pointed to the 2021 update of the European Red List of Birds produced by Birdlife International and that Pintail had been moved from 'least concern' to 'vulnerable'. Wetland habitat loss was cited as one of the main drivers in its decline.
It's a difficult read on a phone, so I'll have to wait for a better opportunity to give the report a more thorough read. However, Mike M as you mentioned them in one of your UK posts, I did notice that Common Eider had been reclassified as 'endangered' rather than just 'vulnerable'. Worrying.

Took a short walk along the coastal path to Es Carnatge yesterday afternoon and although nothing exciting, managed to add a couple more species to my trip list. A Little Egret was fishing amongst the rocks and a Kestrel was up hunting above the waste land.
Otherwise there were 8 Turnstone a single Yellow Legged Gull and Sardinian Warbler noted.
One thing I have noticed this year is the low number of Audouin's Gull here compared with past visits. I've only seen a couple this time, normally there's a good number around the bay at Can Pastilla, well knocking towards double figures anyway. I have seen Black-headed Gull which I don't recall seeing here before, so I hope this elegant but rare gull isn't on the decline again, and there's no connection with the BhG being here.

I believe that Martin S. from Germany was at the Cap today seeing a female Sparrowhawk, 5 Booted eagles leaving, 30 Mistle thrush, 4 Common kestrel, 6 Siskin, a Tree pipit and various finches.
He also confirmed that the Pectoral sandpiper is still present at Salobrar de Campos.
I am back Thursday so I hope we get time to meet up.
Mike

Could someone please just settle my mind regarding White and Pied Wagtail. Sitting watching the sunset and a flock of Wag's have just flown in to roost, must have been in excess of 20 or even 30. Although the light was bad, I could see they were indeed what I would say were Pied Wagtail in the UK, but if my memory is correct they are only known as White Wagtail out here. I know they are subspecies etc, but of course in the UK we do get both.

Just White wagtails here that I know about, they are arriving now for the winter.
Pied wagtail is very rare indeed, I have only ever seen one, it hung around my road for many weeks.
I didn’t take photos in those days but I wish I had.

Two Caspian terns at Albufera today, found by Miguel.

It looks like two Jackdaws were seen on Menorca. In all the years I’ve been here, I know of just one record, seen by a British friend in Calviá.
Mike

Just White wagtails here that I know about, they are arriving now for the winter.
Pied wagtail is very rare indeed, I have only ever seen one, it hung around my road for many weeks.
I didn’t take photos in those days but I wish I had.

Two Caspian terns at Albufera today, found by Miguel.

It looks like two Jackdaws were seen on Menorca. In all the years I’ve been here, I know of just one record, seen by a British friend in Calviá.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I'll finally get to do some proper birding from Monday so I'll keep an eye out.

Lovely extended flyover of apartment outside of Boquer valley on Friday evening by one the valleys booted eagles,then quartered over mountainsides down to Bellesregard.
Lots of singing robins.
Called in to La Gola information centre a couple of weeks ago where I picked up a very handy checklist book of Mallorcan birds and their status,worth picking up a copy,has Latin names,English and German names.

Martin S found a Yellow-browed warbler on the north coast today. What a beauty it was too.
Yellow-browed warblers are an autumn migrant in varying numbers and can be found around the coast. Mike and I had views of one, possibly two, at Porto Colom a few years back, initially found by Jason. We will check this site out again as soon as we can.
A good number of common migrants was recorded on the Island of Dragonera by Maties.
Mike

With the Ironman disruption yesterday went to Boquer Valley in the morning.
The number two seemed to feature with two each of Black Vulture, Booted Eagle, Kestrel , Peregrine, Blue Rock Thrush and Raven.
Twenty to thirty Crag Martin seen.
Today, it was another visit to S'Albufereta followed by C'an Cuarassa, and Cami de ca Volantina through to Cami de Llenaire and 'home'.
At S'Albufereta, birds of note were two Wood Sandpiper in flight; Red Kite and at least five Wigeon in among the Coots. Thirteen Flamingo seen today.
At C'an Cuarassa, two Red Kites seen, one close the other distant. Fourteen Starling were on the wires and a Thekla Lark gave good views. Four Raven were overhead.
Cami de Ca Volantina to home saw another Red Kite, two Raven, while there was a Common Sandpiper on Torrent de Sant Jordi.
Mike M is there more specific site info for Yellow-Browed Warbler?
Regards,
Neal

Hi!
I found the YBW again this morning. It was constantly moving through two large trees (one being a pine tree making it almost impossible to see while moving inside). Both trees are a bit north of the point I saw it first, within a small park-like structure at the entrance of the Viva Blue Hotel.
The Iberian Grey Shrike at Pla de Lanzell is also still showing well. That’s a Mallorca first for me!

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back