• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (12 Viewers)

I really enjoyed your report Ian, it just about sums up seawatching here in Mallorca.
Your description of the shearwater behavior is very accurate.
Glad you got to see some birds. It can become addictive though!
Mike
I finished my 4 day stay with a visit to the Southern sites. Castell de Santuri was very quiet with only a Peregrine of note. At Passatgre 5 great views of Thekla Lark. Cap Ses Sallines impressed with a flyby Osprey, 2 Gannets and plenty of both Shearwaters. I finished at Sallinas de Llevante which gave me 8 species of wader including 14 Greenshank, 17 Dunlin and 7 Little Stint. Trip total was 96 species. Thanks to you guys for information and thanks to Neville James Davies for the excellent Birds of Mallorca book.

I believe that over 20 White storks have landed at s’Albufera.
That’s quite a spectacle, more so because very few have been seen this year.
I hope birders are able to get there and see them before they move on.
I have an Annual General Meeting to attend but I will try to pop in on the way home.
Mike

I believe that over 20 White storks have landed at s’Albufera.
That’s quite a spectacle, more so because very few have been seen this year.
I hope birders are able to get there and see them before they move on.
I have an Annual General Meeting to attend but I will try to pop in on the way home.
Mike
Just arrived at Cibollar 2, where Reception said they had been. Not here😞

Some of the local lads have gone to the tower at Albercutx hoping for some early migrants. It is the premier site for raptors going north in the spring and leaving the Island for Europe, having left Africa.
They arrive on a broad front so it is much harder to predict where they will enter Mallorca.
They then pass through the Island and funnel out at the north where the numbers are much more concentrated.
Two Marsh harrier have already been seen today, this species being one of the first to move through and it is one of the most numerous too.
Let’s hope for a big autumn with some favourable winds to bring in a few less common species.
Mike

The drive up to the tower is vertiginous to say the least and it’s important to be there early as parking is severely limited.
The rocks are jagged and will do serious harm if you fall, as I did last year. Luckily, it was only my scope that got broken and not my bones.
I lost confidence as I have poor balance now but it is possible to view the raptors from further down, by a sweeping bend in the road.
That’s where I will be!
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7473.jpeg
    DSCN7473.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 26
A pleasant amble up Fisherman's Walk (Cala SV) this a.m. Rock Thrush, 2 Ravens very low over my head when I was at the cairn. 2 Scopoli's Shearwater flying lazily and very low over the calm water, clockwise. 3 Balearic Warbler calling from my left, right and in front of me, one giving me a very nice view.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316-182949~2.png
    Screenshot_20240316-182949~2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240316-183046.png
    Screenshot_20240316-183046.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
The drive up to the tower is vertiginous to say the least and it’s important to be there early as parking is severely limited.
The rocks are jagged and will do serious harm if you fall, as I did last year. Luckily, it was only my scope that got broken and not my bones.
I lost confidence as I have poor balance now but it is possible to view the raptors from further down, by a sweeping bend in the road.
That’s where I will be!
Mike
I was a professional driver for many years and the drive up to the tower the other day freaked me out. I turned around and came straight back down before it got busy.

I was a professional driver for many years and the drive up to the tower the other day freaked me out. I turned around and came straight back down before it got busy.

Some of the local lads have gone to the tower at Albercutx hoping for some early migrants. It is the premier site for raptors going north in the spring and leaving the Island for Europe, having left Africa.
They arrive on a broad front so it is much harder to predict where they will enter Mallorca.
They then pass through the Island and funnel out at the north where the numbers are much more concentrated.
Two Marsh harrier have already been seen today, this species being one of the first to move through and it is one of the most numerous too.
Let’s hope for a big autumn with some favourable winds to bring in a few less common species.
Mike
Hi!

This morning (16/03/2024) Dani Hinckley, Carlos López-Jurado and myself went to the tower hoping to see some raptors, to start the traditional
G.O.R.A. Spring Migratory Raptors Count at Albercutx (Pollença).

This this year we have started a little late, not like other years when we were already there at the beginning of March,
but determined to see the first raptors migrating. We checked to see our data on Trektellen Albercutx G.O.R.A and check the observations of other years for these dates and we were convinced that at leat some Marsh Harriers would be seen......or even the White Storks group that had been seen yesterday... (spoiler: we were unlucky...😅)

We have been there from 10h to 13h at the tower and the raptor pass has been this:
(all birds towards NE)

-2 Marsh Harriers (Circus aeruginosus)
-2 Red Kites (Milvus milvus)
-1 Sparrow Hawk (Accipiter nisus)

The higliht have been 9 Cranes (Grus grus) that have appeared flying in group in active migration towards NE and have been very well seen, circling several times in the area before leaving.

Other birds seen from the tower were 4 Barn Swallows, 5 Delichon urbicum, 1 Meadow pipit and the local Balearic Warbler, Peregrine Falcon, Booted Eagle, Rock Thrush, etc.

Ebird List: https://ebird.org/checklist/S164993091

Ian showed up around 12:30h to share some time with us, a hug Ian!

A nice day to start the season, next weekend more and better!!

Best Regards!

On Friday morning I woke to news that White Storks had been seen at Albufera. I immediately made my way there but a lap of the hides at Sa Roca, Cibollar and Columbars produced no sign of them. Water levels at Cibollar have dropped slightly and it was good to see 5-6 little stints with dunlin, ringed, little ringed and Kentish plover. I also had my first yellow wagtails of the year. We did have a group of about 20 large birds flying over. They were high and moving north in an inverted “V” formation, like swans or geese in the UK, but we’ll never know what they were. On Saturday I did the Ternelles Valley walk out to the sea and back. This is about 15km overall going as part of an accompanied group through the estate. A beautiful morning but birding was quiet. We saw only 2 vultures, both griffon, but had good views of a Bonellis eagle and some red kites and ravens. There was a pair of booted eagles overhead at the coast and a Balearic warbler in the scrub below. Wryneck and Wren were heard in the woods and a single blue rock thrush completed the day list. A thoroughly enjoyable walk with a delightful young lady working in vulture conservation leading the group. I understand there are concerns that access is restricted and that the route should be open by law. The current arrangement, which I believe runs throughout the year, is at least an improvement from a couple of years ago when no one was allowed in. Enjoy it while you can!

Hi!

This morning (16/03/2024) Dani Hinckley, Carlos López-Jurado and myself went to the tower hoping to see some raptors, to start the traditional
G.O.R.A. Spring Migratory Raptors Count at Albercutx (Pollença).

This this year we have started a little late, not like other years when we were already there at the beginning of March,
but determined to see the first raptors migrating. We checked to see our data on Trektellen Albercutx G.O.R.A and check the observations of other years for these dates and we were convinced that at leat some Marsh Harriers would be seen......or even the White Storks group that had been seen yesterday... (spoiler: we were unlucky...😅)

We have been there from 10h to 13h at the tower and the raptor pass has been this:
(all birds towards NE)

-2 Marsh Harriers (Circus aeruginosus)
-2 Red Kites (Milvus milvus)
-1 Sparrow Hawk (Accipiter nisus)

The higliht have been 9 Cranes (Grus grus) that have appeared flying in group in active migration towards NE and have been very well seen, circling several times in the area before leaving.

Other birds seen from the tower were 4 Barn Swallows, 5 Delichon urbicum, 1 Meadow pipit and the local Balearic Warbler, Peregrine Falcon, Booted Eagle, Rock Thrush, etc.

Ebird List: https://ebird.org/checklist/S164993091

Ian showed up around 12:30h to share some time with us, a hug Ian!

A nice day to start the season, next weekend more and better!!

Best Regards!
Hello - how late into the spring do the regular watchs from here run please, i am out there in the first week of May....?

Many thanks

Jonny

Have a few days based in Puerto Pollensa; caught up with the Spotless Starlings yesterday at house No. 16 a mile along the track behind the Can Cuirassa restaurant
Had good scope views of two that looked good; interested to know if people consider all 5 in the group to be Spotless?
Today a Wryneck near Boquer House and one near last house before Tenelles gates.
15 + Black Redstarts in fields near Boquer house. c12 Sandwich Terns in front of Pollensa Park hotel.
(No Scops calling at Pollensa Park)

Hi Jonny
The migration watches at the Albercutx tower run well into May when some bird species even peak, eg Honey buzzard.
Every year is different of course with Marsh harrier being one of the largest in number most years.
If you go early in May, you will not be alone, a good few birders are present most Sundays.
Good luck.
Mike

Have a few days based in Puerto Pollensa; caught up with the Spotless Starlings yesterday at house No. 16 a mile along the track behind the Can Cuirassa restaurant
Had good scope views of two that looked good; interested to know if people consider all 5 in the group to be Spotless?
Today a Wryneck near Boquer House and one near last house before Tenelles gates.
15 + Black Redstarts in fields near Boquer house. c12 Sandwich Terns in front of Pollensa Park hotel.
(No Scops calling at Pollensa Park)
I've seen Common Starling mix with the Spotless Starlings on a few occasions Matt at Puns16

Three Black kite were seen coming in from the sea today at Cala Llamp, far to the south-west of Mallorca.
Philip Garnett who bird watches from Santa Ponça quite a lot, often reports large movements of migrants around his area.
This confirms my beliefs (and others of course) that most spring migrants hit the Island around the south-west. I have spent countless hours birding at the Cap in the south-east, and I have seen so few arrivals there.
Black kite is often one of the first migrant raptors to be recorded.
Mike

hello all

its been over a year since I was last in Mallorca and Im missing it - this thread does keep me up to date and I always love reading it so thanks.....can almost picture walking through the valley at Mortix or scanning from the Albufereta platform. I am back in the summer for 2 weeks and can't wait!

I also wanted to ask for some advice for Gina, a friend from Dorset. She posted below on Mallorca Nature Tours but has not had a reply. Any suggestions at all for help guiding them would be much appreciated - thanks - Chris:

"I will be staying in Mallorca for a work meeting but have persuaded a group of 4 in addition to myself to go birding on Thursday 11 April. We will be staying at Villa Moscari, near Campanet.
Would you tell me if you have availability to guide us please? How much would it cost? We will have a car if that helps.
I think I am the only one with birding experience but the others are keen to learn! I would, of course like to visit S’Albufereta reserve and anywhere else to make a day of it.

In addition to a day on 11 April, I wonder if you might be able to take me for half a day. My colleagues leave earlier than me on Monday 15 April so I have an afternoon on my own at the airport. I would love to go birding for a few hours then if that might be possible"

(PS I think she might mean Albufera not Albufereta!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back