• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (16 Viewers)

I still can’t drive so I’m confined to balcony birding which can be rewarding with some great species passing through, as I discovered during lockdown.
I added many new species to my balcony list then so it would be nice to add something else now.
In the meantime, Biel and Pep went to Cap de Ses Salines today (where I would have been) and saw a Short-eared owl coming in-off.
A magnificent bird around these parts so I hope one of them can post details and/or photos.
Well done chaps, so sorry I wasn’t there with you.
Mike

Today’s visit at Mirador El Toro was to see if I could see some migrations birds from south - focus raptors. Unfortunately, none during my 1,5 hours there. The only raptors were a Peregrine who was with me whole time circling around the cliff with the small white tower on. Made some false attacks on gulls and probably a female due to size. Nesting?

Migration birds 4 Barn swallow and 2 Passerines sp . Besides that, 13 Balearic shearwater flew east an 17 Scopolis both east and west. The low number of Balearic is probably that it´s difficult to see from above against sea. Scopolis can be double counted because many was cirling around.
Made a quick stop at Cami Porrassa on my way home at least 3 Penduline tits still there attached just a documentation photo of two.

Attachments

• DSC04138.JPG
    DSC04138.JPG
    980.8 KB · Views: 29
It would be interest to know if anyone have seen a nest there
Hi!
First of all, El Toro is a nice place to catch some migratory raptors! But I recommend to visit the place in the autumm season September and October!!
I had seen there Honey Buzzards, Marsh Harriers, Black Kites, etc. going to the South on these months! At Spring the best place to see migratory raptors is Formentor.
It's amazing to have Penduline Tit for 2 months at least!! These birds use to be seen on February-March and most of them at Albufera in low numbers and for a single day or few days...
These birds from Sa Porrassa are there since at leats 17 of January!!!!!
But there is no data or evidences (never) about Penduline Tits bredding on Mallorca! So I think one of these next days they will leave the island...

Apart from this, today's mornings Pep Manchado and myself saw a Short-Eared Owl (Asio flammeus) arriving to the island SO-NO from Cap Salines. Also a group of Garganeys (Spatula querquedula) migrating SO-NE. Also 2 Redstarts (Phoenicurus phoenicurus) and 2 Woodchat Shrikes (Lanus senator badius) were around the place.

At Salobrar the common waders were around and also, a group of 6 Ruff (Calidris pugnax) and a Purple Hearon (Ardea purpurea).

Regards

Hi!
First of all, El Toro is a nice place to catch some migratory raptors! But I recommend to visit the place in the autumm season September and October!!
I had seen there Honey Buzzards, Marsh Harriers, Black Kites, etc. going to the South on these months! At Spring the best place to see migratory raptors is Formentor.
It's amazing to have Penduline Tit for 2 months at least!! These birds use to be seen on February-March and most of them at Albufera in low numbers and for a single day or few days...
These birds from Sa Porrassa are there since at leats 17 of January!!!!!
But there is no data or evidences (never) about Penduline Tits bredding on Mallorca! So I think one of these next days they will leave the island...

Apart from this, today's mornings Pep Manchado and myself saw a Short-Eared Owl (Asio flammeus) arriving to the island SO-NO from Cap Salines. Also a group of Garganeys (Spatula querquedula) migrating SO-NE. Also 2 Redstarts (Phoenicurus phoenicurus) and 2 Woodchat Shrikes (Lanus senator badius) were around the place.

At Salobrar the common waders were around and also, a group of 6 Ruff (Calidris pugnax) and a Purple Hearon (Ardea purpurea).

Regards
I totally agree with you regarding spring migration at Formentor. As my staying are in Palma I look for places closer and I remember that some years ago in spring I had around 20 Booted eagles circling over forest in Portal Vells moving north.

Having picked up Peter S we headed to the Depuradora yesterday morning to meet Kevin. On arriving there were around 20 swallows over the near pond. Over the course of the next hour this number grew to 70-80 with a few sand martins and house martins mixed in. Yellow wagtail, green and common sandpiper, several marsh harriers and a very smart water pipit, in pink and grey summer plumage, were the pick of the birds until 2 whiskered terns came through. We moved on to Maria de la Salut for a couple of hours on the central plains. We had singing corn buntings and calling quail. Light and dark booted eagles, marsh harriers and red kites were overhead. Kestrel sp were always too distant for positive identification between common and lesser. We enjoyed watching close up red kites displaying and carrying nesting material into nearby woods. Peter and I called in at Maristany on the way home. There were constant arrivals of more hirundines and by the time we left there were more than 100, mainly barn swallows with a few crag, sand and house martins. Disappointingly we could find any red rumped among the growing numbers and I am still to see common or pallid swift on this trip.

I spent the morning at the depuradora of Son Bosc and a bit later at Maria de la Salut.
Those swifts that Geordie Dave didn’t see yesterday must have arrived last night (or were just arriving), as the air at the depuradora was full of them (mainly common, but there was at least one pallid).
I found one Lesser Kestrel at Maria, sitting on top of one of those old stone buildings.
Plenty of Red Kite, Corn Bunting, Zitting Cisticola, but I didn’t hear a single Quail calling.
I’m sure now is the time of year that could bring in a rarity or two! I’ll keep my eyes open!

Cheers
Martin

I visit Bassa Can Guidet this afternnon and it was amazing with all swallows and swift in the air it must have been several thousand.

Barn swallow was dominating followed by common swift and in lower amount House martin, Sand martin, and few Red rumped all was seen over the basin. In the surrounding mostly Barn swallow and Common swift. South or west of bassin just few swallows but some swift and maybe because of that I found the only Pallid.

There have been an Alpine swift day before but unfortunately none seen by me today.

I was also nice to have a short chat with Daniel Hinkley just before I had to leave.

I spent today around the bays of Pollenca and Alcudia. It seems there has been a massive influx of hirundines and swifts in the last 24 hours. At Maristany there were several hundred and this was repeated at Albufereta and Can Cuarassa. I’m not sure I’ve seen so many sand martins this close up. I picked up 1 red rumped swallow at Maristany but in the chaos there must have been more. I couldn’t find a pallid amongst the common swift; that’s what tomorrow is for !!

I’m heading back to Newcastle today after almost 4 weeks on the island. As in January the weather has been fantastic with blue sky and temperatures up to 24°. Other than some showers through the night there has been no rain. It was noticeable how low the reservoir was at Cuber last week. I’ve walked about 160 miles, seen around 130 species and taken my year total in Mallorca close to 150. It has been clear in the last week that migration is now underway. Just yesterday I saw a woodchat shrike, male wheatear, little bittern and common terns along with hundreds of swallows, swifts and house, sand and crag martins. Pep posted last night that a turtle dove was at Can Cuarassa, a sure sign that spring is upon us. It has been encouraging to hear Scops owls calling next to my apartment in Gotmar, Port de Pollenca, most nights I have been here. There were 2 at the Duva/Habitat hotel apartments last night when I left Aries bar at 8pm. Hopefully they are establishing themselves again after a quiet couple of years. It is difficult to pick out a bird of the trip but seeing 25+ vultures at Cuber and Bonellis eagle at both Ternelles and Mortix was special, as was a group of 6-7 Balearic warblers together at Albercutx. I managed one morning with the Raptor Group at Albercutx where black kites and a sparrowhawk were the highlights. I’m back in Mallorca again in 3 weeks time to do it all again! Many thanks to the GORA raptor group and to my birding pals on the island for their company. Hasta pronto, or as we would say “Gan canny”.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive David (and others!) whilst I’ve been out of action.
Good news about the migration of some very nice birds, and of course, the resident Vultures and Eagles, such a fine sight in that clear blue sky.
I think some Bee-eaters have been heard and on my first trip out this morning, 3 piercing Wrynecks were calling very close by near Mondragó.
My plan is to try a seawatch tonight but I will see how that goes.
Safe trip home David, we will go birding together on your next visit. Maria de la Salut beckons for those luscious Red-footed falcons and Lesser kestrels.
Mike

I managed to get to my local lighthouse in Porto Petro tonight and despite the winds dropping considerably, the sea was still very lively.
I stayed 1.5 hours so the totals are not representative of the whole amount of shearwaters around the coast.
Balearic shearwater: 906
Scopoli’s shearwater: 1947
It was good to be out again but following recent reports of migrants arriving, I would rather be in the mix, enjoying those new arrivals.

In order to help keep my birding interests high on the agenda, Martin very kindly called at my apartment and installed a very sensitive recording device on my balcony which I am not equipped to explain, other than the fact that it’s jolly good fun.
It records continuously including through the night. It then gives a mind-boggling amount of information on the likelihood of the bird in question being the real deal. It gives humidity, wind direction and every other possible climatic condition. The recording is kept so they can be played back. Previous records are also available. Martin I’m sure can give more details.
It has been a marvelous distraction during a difficult time.
As I have said before, it’s fantastic to be part of the birding community. The amount of kindness on offer is heart-warming.
It is also global. I wrote to a bird group about a forthcoming visit to the USA and I have received offers to meet up to go out birding with people I’ve never met before.
And that’s what it’s all about.
Mike

The amazing sound recording machine has apparently recorded Spotted flycatcher 262 times today. I had better have a good look round for it tomorrow, it can’t have been wrong all those times, could it?
No, it can’t be wrong. There’s a Spotted Flycatcher somewhere in your garden.
By the way, the device is called Birdweather PUC, and it’s a nice little gadget. At home, I recorded NFC from Great Bittern at least 3 times with it. (This species is not breeding anywhere near my place in Germany, but they can be seen wintering even in urban environments. The birds I recorded were on their way back to be breeding grounds, I assume.)
I’m currently at the Depuradora, lots of Swifts and hirundines around. Just had two Whiskered Terns flying over.

Martin

Todays visit at Es Carnatge was 'little windy but with quite big waves. Five Gull billed tern who flew east was most interesting.

Drove to Prat Sant Jordi and on the acres nothing special no Wagtail! but two Red-legged partridge run around the horses.
On fence and building was at least 20 Tree sparrows. Continue to Can Guidet and still many Swallows and Swifts in the air but not as some days before. It was a easier to overlook and two Red-rumped swallow was seen before Can Guidet together with House- , Barn swallow and Sand martin. Common swift and at least two Pallid was seen at same place.

In the basin Can Guidet was four Gull-billed terns and at least 11 Whiskered tern. Six Red crested pochard and I probably scare a "Ruddy shelduck" when I arrived.

Attachments

• DSC04255.JPG
    DSC04255.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC04280.JPG
    DSC04280.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back