• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals seen while birding (3 Viewers)

pretty mega 18 months just gone

Red Panda on Sandakhphu trek in India/Nepal

Wolf in Tibet

Tibetan Wild Ass

and a few other Tibetan jobs such as foxes and gazelles and pikas were fab too

Tim

Chamois and marmot up the pyrenees with Jules Sykes last week was pretty nice.

In britain i've managed fox, badger, stoat, weasel, mink, otter, bank vole, water vole, 4 deer, 2 squirrels, at least 3 bats, and probably some others i can't think of.

In bali you've got macaques and squirrels

In Australia, all sorts (about 6 kangaroo species (that's me personally) for starters)

Last Saturday I was in Schorfheide and saw Fallow and Roe Deer, nice party of Wild Boar and spotlighted a fox.

Also one hunter and one hunter's car. As hunting towers are every few 100s of meters, it is impossible to move around without coming to one.

I've managed to see most of Europe's larger mammals whilst birding. Some good ones include Otter (Leighton Moss, waiting for the starling roost, 1973); Pine Marten (Bielowieza Forest 2001), Brown Bear (Kocevski Rog, SLovenia 1991) plus Beaver, Muskrat and Moose (Biebrza Marshes 2001). 'Locals' still eluding me include Wolves, Lynx and Wildcat... I've seen the latter 3 times but always poorly (other than dead on the road). Roe Deer? If I can keep them out of the garden I'm happy.

birdman said:
My mammal list is pretty sparse... so I choose not to restrict it only to those seen whilst birding.

From memory,

Rabbit,
Hare,
Red Deer,
Roe Deer,
Mouse sp.,
Bank Vole,
Water Vole,
Hedgehog (incl 5 in garden),
Stoat,
Grey Squirrel,
Red Squirrel (not UK),
Pine Marten,
Dolphin sp.,
Rat,
Mole,
...and I think that's it.

I've seen 11 dead badgers, but never yet seen one alive :-C

My mammal list is huge, often when I go on birding trips I usually takes a sperate day in try to see other animals than birds, you got a more variety on you trip that way.

Will try to list all my mammal records.

Kenya:

Reticulated giraffe: In Samburu national park (North Kenya).

Baringo Giraffe: In Lake Nakuru national park (West Kenya).

Masai Giraffe: In Masai Mara (South Kenya).

Gerenuk: In Sambaru national park (North Kenya).

Grants gazelle: In Samburu, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Thomson gazelle: In Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Impala: In Samburu and Masai Mara.

Common eland: In Masai Mara.

Greater kudu: In Samburu.

African elephant: In Samburu, Aberdare and Masai Mara.

Oryx: In Samburu.

Common waterbuck: In Samburu.

Defassa waterbuck: In Lake Nukuru, Aberdare and Masai Mara.

Bohor reedbuck: In Masai Mara.

Black rhino: In Aberdare.

White rhino: In Lake Nukuru.

Hippopotamus: In Lake Navisha and Masai Mara.

Warthog: In Samburu, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Bushbock: In Aberdare.

Cokes hartebeest: In Masai Mara.

Topi: In Masai Mara.

Common Zebra: In Masai Mara.

Grevys zebra: In Samburu.

Grey duiker: Lake Nukuru and Masai Mara.

Gunters dik-dik: In Sambaru.

African buffalo: In Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Wildebeest: In Masai Mara.

Rock dassie: In Masai Mara.

Aardvark: Sambaru and Masai Mara.

4 species of squirrel: 3 in Sambaru and 1 in Aberdare.

Pangolin: In Aberdare and Masai Mara.

Olive baboon: In Sambaru, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Green monkey: In Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Abyssinian black and white colobus: In Lake Nakuru.

Zanzibar red colobus: On Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Common jackal: In Masai Mara.

Black-backed jackal: In Samburu, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Common genet: In Sambaru.

Dwarf mongoose: In Sambaru.

Spotted hyena: In Masai Mara.

Serval: In Masai Mara.

Lion: Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Leopard: Lake Nakuru.

Cheetah: In Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Dugong: Off Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Giant rat: Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Sweden:

Roe deer

Moose

fallow deer

house mouse

red dear

mouflon

Red fox

beaver

lynx

brown bear

marten

Brown rat

two species of vole

Brown hare

European rabbit

Reindeer

1 species of bat

badger

hedgehog

otter

shrew ssp?

Scottland:

Grey seal

wildcat

red dear

Borneo:

Proboscis monkey

sambar deer

marbled cat

sun bear

Common porcupine

Long-tailed macaque

Pig-tailed macaque

bearded pig

otter

maroon leaf monkey

Silvered leaf-monkey

Papua New Guinea:

As I have lived here on PNG my whole life, the list has grown very much, I have recorded very many PNG mammals for being just a "ordinary person", it often dedicades a lot of searching to see many of the species listed below.

Short-beaked echidna: Kemp Welsh River.

Long-beaked echidna: Kemp Welsh River.

Black-tailed antechinus: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

New Guinea quoll: Port Moresby, killed my kids cat ;)

Broad-striped dasyure: In the city of Eboa.

Papuan Planigale: In our garden in Port Moresby.

Giant bandicoot: Port Moresby suburban.

Raffray bandicoot: While hikking in Owen stanley.

Northern brown bandicoot: Very often around Port Moresby.

Doria tree-kangaroo: Probably the mammal that I have observed most times, saw it first time when I was 5 years old, my grandparents often hunted them, the number of sightings has probably passed 25 by now.

Goodfellow tree kangaroo: I saw a single half dead animal on a market in Ako more than 30 years ago, this species is now eleminated in the whole eatern part of PNG :-C, ohhhh god what I hate these stupid hunters.

Grizzled tree kangaroo: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Huon tree kangaroo: Seen in the Huon peninsula, more than 10 years ago.

Vogelkop tree kangaroo: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

White-striped dorcopsis: Seen around Lake Sentani.

Grey dorcopsis: Seen daily in markets in Port Moresby, seen a few live ones in plain areas around Port Moresby.

Macleay dorcopsis: Probably the second rarest mammal I have ever seen, saw a single specimen about 15 years ago in a small grass land area a few miles west of Port Moresby, just another species which know is eleminated from the eastern half of the islands.

Agile wallaby: Once common around Port Moresby, I have seen fewer than 10 animals the last 20 years.

Dusky pademelon: A dead animal seen 7 years ago on a market in Port Moresby, and a group of 2-3 animals seen in Wasur NP.

Northern common cuscus: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop and around Sentani city.

Silky cuscus, been able to see three animals of this rare species in different markets, but never in wild state.

Common spotted cuscus: Seen around Sentani city.

Long-tailed pygmy-possum: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Long-fingered triok: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Striped possum: Seen around Port Moresby.

Sugar glider: Seen around Port Moresby.

Painted ringtail: Around Port Moresby and in our garden.

Common water rat: Seen around Port Moresby.

Large leptomys: Rarest mammal that I have ever seen, spotted a single adult specimen while taking a late walk in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Waterside rat: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Forbes tree-mouse: Around Port Moresby.

Broad-headed tree mouse: Around Port Moresby.

White-bellied melomys: Around Port Moresby.

Gassland melomys: Around Port Moresby.

Lowland melomys: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Mountain melomys: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Black-tailed melomys: Commonest murid of PNG and I have 10 records only from our garden, the total records made would probably be around 50?

Large tree mouse: MonoKwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Chestnut tree mouse: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop, around Port Moresby and around Lake Sentani.

Grey-bellied tree mouse: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Mottled-tailed giant-rat: Around Port Moresby.

Eastern rat: Very often recorded around Port Moresby.

Large spiny rat: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Great bare-baked fruit-bat: Often recorded around Port Moresby.

Greater tube-nosed bat: Around Lake Sentani.

Unstriped tube-nosed bat: Seen more than 10 years ago on the Huon peninsila.

Greater flying-fox: Recorded in mangrove forest east of Port Moresby.

Large melanesian bentwing-bat: Recorded around Port Moresby.

Last edited:
I was going to post my list but trying to follow Papuan Birder brought on locker room shyness. ;) Am not jealous, repeat, am not jealous, repeat....

Jos Stratford said:
Up here in LT, what have I bumped into this year? Foxes are more or less diurnal and there is one particular meadow where I can expect up to four or five per day, often Roe Deer in the same meadow. On my land, had a nice couple of Racoon Dogs wandering down to my new pools earlier in the year and have one MASSIVE beaver lodge in the flood forest, not that I've seen more than the splash of one of their tails and a rapidly disappearing shape in the water. Had a few Wild Boar piglets hurtling off at great speed, along with a rather narked Mrs Pig too! Been quite a while since I've seen an Elk - last in LT was late last autumn, though a few in Poland since (and plenty of tracks across my land). One Pine Martin some time ago and have a cute little mouse of some unknown species under my sunflower feeder every day!

Still dream about the wolves that inhabit the forests and fancy that a bear might one day come a'wandering through my feeding station ...but now we
really are talking dreams!

Hi Jos

Sounds a fantastic place to live.

Jo

I hadent time to full fill my list earlier so here comes the rest.

Marine mammals

In the last 5 years I have been starting to whale wathcing, mostly around Port Moresby, but also around Sentani city and the northern tips of Cape York (Australia).

It has shown out to be a great way to relax and a before I start doing this I didnt know much about these wonderful animals and which species that really occurs in these waters, I have by now recorded quite many species, and its much easier than most people say, many who I have talked to say the same "that the ocean is huge and the chance of spotting these exclusive animals is very small if you not are an expert".

Thats just wrong, I dont know much about dolphins and whales but still I have covered my area quite well, I hope to see a few new species tomorrow, and this time I WILL see a beaked whale, this impressive mammals are probably the poorliest known mammal group on earth, but still my favoruite marines, I have seen only a stranded ex, June 2001, Blainville I think which is the only species which so far is known to be regulary recorded here, but other species is probably common in these waters as the group is badly known, for ex I meet a brittish couple in 2004 which said that they had seen a group of three Goose-beakes among the Torresian islands just a few days before

My list so far, I praying to good that I will se a new species tomorrow (perhaps not praying as Iam not religious, but I dont know any other word to describe it).

Bottlenose dolphin: A species regulary spotted of the coast of Port Moresby, also sighted along the east Cape York peninsula in Australia and on the west coast of Zanzibar.

Irrawaddy dolphin: Recorded once, a few miles west of Port Moresby, a scop of five adult and two juvenile animals.

Rissos dolphin: Another common sight along the East Papuan coast and seen several times.

Striped dolphin: Recorded many times in PNG and once in Australia.

Indo-Pacific Humpback dolphin: I have seen in quite often recently, before 2003 I had only seen a single specimen on the coast of Sentani city 1997, since then I have made 5 observations, 3 on the PM coast (totally 12 animals) and two around Cape York (totally 5 animals).

Common dolphin: Recorded many times around the coast lines of PM, two times around SC and three times around Cape York.

Fraser dolphin: Very common in PM, SC and around Cape York.

Rough-toothed dolphin: Another quite fresh record, spotted my first group of five animals two months ago arounnd NE Cape York.

Pantropical spotted dolphin: I mean is there any marine species with a more beutiful colouration, saidly a species which is rare in these waters, I have spotted it only twice this year, in January and in May, hopping to see a few tomorrow.

Spinner dolphin: My favoruite species, another rare species becuase of the heavily fishing in the area where I have been visiting, I have spotted it four times but I have only seen a single animal doing that spin in the air, not seen since August 2004.

Long-beaked bottlenose dolphin: Much smaller than the common bottlenose, and rarely recorded here, seen just once this year June and only seen two times in my life, the other one in July 2002.

Short-finned pilot-whale: Very common and spotted very often along PM coast.

False killer whale: Very common and spotted several times this year.

Sperm whale: An impressive creature and the second most common whale here, I love to watching these exclusive and strange things, which can dive down on very deep waters. Seen three times so far this year.

Humpback whale: Never recorded along the PNG coast but seen once, around Cape York, a single animal altough, sighting made in 2003, so I hopping to make a fresher record soon.

Sei whale: Very, very hard to see this whale which travels around the globe on a regulary basis, just a single adult animal seen so far this year in June on the PM coast.

Brydes whale: Most common whale here and seen quite often, 7 records made so far.

Fin whale: My first whale record ever, spotted two animals around Cape York 2001.

Blue whale: Only seen a dead specimen flooating in the Australia Papua New Guinea channel, in 2002, apparently it had been both harpuned and hited by a large ferry, or some other large boat. Rare in this part of PNG as most animals which enters these water dont even make it to the extreme eastern tips of PNG before being killed by local fishers.

I want to see several of these species + a few new ones tomorrow, when we will head out from the port 6:30am and be back in Port Moresby 18:00am.

My list of the Austr mammals will be added some other day

I added 19 new species in Argentina, nicest were Killer Whales seen in sealion colony and Southern Right Whales seen from few m on a boat.

Larger herbivores are commonplace: Eastern and Western Grey Kangaros, Red, Swamp (Black) and Red-necked Wallabies (the Agile Wallaby is everywhere up north but no seen in the south). Common Brush-tailed Possum is common, Common Ringtail less so.

In carnivores, Fat-tailed Dunart once, Yellow-footed Antechinus twice, Numbat once.

Roos and wallabes aside, you are lucky to see any other mammals, they are all (Numbat excepted) nocturnal. (Roos and wallabies are nocturnal too, but you see them in the day as well, mostly when you disturb them.)

Echidna is common, Platypus uncommon (I've seen only three or four).

Ferals are regularly seen: European Rabbit, Brown Hare, Red Fox.

Did I forget anything?

I observed a few new mammals during a bird trip to Trans-fly a couple of weeks ago.

Rusa deer, red-cheeked dunnart, Lowlands tree kangaroo, Red-legged pademelon, Brush-tailed rabbit-rat, Common tube-nosed bata and big-eared flying-fox.

tonight while owling local set a side fields i saw a chinese water deer,strange as they are mostly seen in the broads[approx 20 miles away].

this particular speciman had a white plastic tag attatched to it's left ear?

any one know of such recording schemes in norfolk/suffolk.

also we occasionally have breeding water voles in the drainage ditch outside our front door,two years ago we had a youngster feeding under the bird feeders on the front lawn!

matt

Back on topic...

Other mammals I see regularly when birding are elk (72 in one morning this past spring), mule deer, white-tailed deer, javelina, fox, coyotes, squirrels, chipmunks and, although not mammals, also a fair number of snakes when at lower elevations.

Mammels during birding

Birds during mammel watching is right in this case.
I was on whale watching tour and saw 2 Spermwhales, Bottlenose Dolphins and birds like Wandering Albatross, Salvins Mollymawk, Hutton Shearwather.

Best regards
Dieter

I'm a couple hundred miles south of Katy and have seen many of the mammals she has seen. Plus a few others. Arizona is great for mammals, insects, reptiles and Birds.

Cottontail and Jack Rabbits (black tail and Antelope)
Rattle snakes and 1 Corral snake
Javelina
Coyote
Bob Cat
Mountain Lion
Mule and Whitetail (Coos) Deer
Elk
Skunks, several varities
Tarantulas
Horn toad lizzard
Prong Horned Antelope

And while up north in Yellowstone Park
Black Bear
Grizzly Bear
Moose
Big Horn Sheep
Mountain Goat
Wolf
Beaver
Marmot
Bison

And on the California coast
California Sea Lions

That's all I can think of right now

I've seen the following mammals, although not all necessarily while out bird-watching:

Common Seal
Grey Seal
Harbour Porpoise
Common Dolphin
Minke Whale
Fox
Otter
Grey Squirrel
Vole (don't know what species)
Mouse (don't know species)
Brown Rat
Roe Deer
Red Deer
Bat (don't know species)
Rabbit
Mountain Hare
Weasel or Stoat

Coyote, bobcat, raccoon, muledeer, buffalo, cotton tails, ground squirrels, dusky footed rat, mexican tailess bats (I think), flying foxes (fruit bats), rock wallabys, grey kangaroos, platypus, Orangutans, macaques, probiscus monkeys, possums, bandicoot, water buffalo. Of course, horses, cows, bulls, sheep, goats. Okay, I admit that I went to see the platypus and orangutans specifically, but I did mark off new bird species on those trips. Since we are only naming mammals we've seen birding I won't mention those I've seen at other times, except swimming with a dugong in Vanuatu because it was so neat. I've seen lots of reptiles, but won't name them either, except for the Komodo dragons which were awesome! Saw a new bird there too, but couldn't ID it. Edit...forgot Dingo.

Last edited:
I am surprised that no one has seen fallow deer whilst out birding. At Pulborough Brooks RSPB reserve in west sussex there are black fallow deer everywhere. I rarely see mammals when out birding but here is my total British mammal list.
Badger
Fox
Stoat
Red Deer
Roe Deer
Sika Deer
Fallow Deer
Red Squirrel (Only seen in Rep. of Ireland)
Grey Squirrel
Hedgehog
Rabbit
Brown Hare
Brown Rat
Common Seal
Harbour Porpoise
Grey Seal
House mousr
Wood Mouse
Weasel
Various bats which I can't identify

I have also seen dead moles, lots of otter evidence and water voles nests and tunnels.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back