• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals seen while birding (2 Viewers)

MH68 said:
Like Gill I see Roe Deer regularly around my usual haunts.Also recently seen Red Squirrel, Fox, Stoat,Weasel,Otter,Bank Vole,Wood Mice,Common and Pygmy Shrews and today for the first time, a Water Shrew. I must admit when there are mammals such as these to be seen the birds take a back seat.

Mark

I've seen otters, roe and red deer, seals, foxes, badgers, red and grey squirrels, rats, voles and bats

I'm with Mark on this - as much as I love birds, I'd rather see a rare mammal that I haven't seen before than a rare bird that I haven't seen before.

There I've said it [feels guilty as he slinks back to his bird books]

How about a Tule Elk?

This isn't a fair response as Tule Elk are in a 5 square mile enclosure at San Luis NWR in Los Banos, CA.

My best sighting ever during a pre-dawn owling adventure was a CA Mountain Lion. That blew my mind.

Carol in California

Bird by Intuition

Frogbad said:
I've seen otters, roe and red deer, seals, foxes, badgers, red and grey squirrels, rats, voles and bats

I'm with Mark on this - as much as I love birds, I'd rather see a rare mammal that I haven't seen before than a rare bird that I haven't seen before.

There I've said it [feels guilty as he slinks back to his bird books]

Don't feel guilty Frogbad, I think most birders would say the same. There something about a rare mammal that conjures a mystique that somehow rare birds can't give. I believe that it is due to birds being able to fly and therefore can turn up almost anywhere.

I spend a fair bit of time mammal watching these days as well as birding, but my best accidental sighting while birding was on holiday in California. Following directions for Wild Turkey (which I never did see) up the canyon roads behind Monterey Bay I found half a dozen Mule Deer, then heard two Scrub Jays mobbing something in some bushes. I assumed it was an owl, tried to spot it, couldn't, then realised it was working towards me. Out came a Bobcat! I had about 2 minutes of point blank views but of course my camera and camcorder were in the car. Another reinforcement of the fact that you should never, never, let your camera out of arms reach.

Papuan birder said:
My mammal list is huge, often when I go on birding trips I usually takes a sperate day in try to see other animals than birds, you got a more variety on you trip that way.

Will try to list all my mammal records.

Kenya:

Reticulated giraffe: In Samburu national park (North Kenya).

Baringo Giraffe: In Lake Nakuru national park (West Kenya).

Masai Giraffe: In Masai Mara (South Kenya).

Gerenuk: In Sambaru national park (North Kenya).

Grants gazelle: In Samburu, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Thomson gazelle: In Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Impala: In Samburu and Masai Mara.

Common eland: In Masai Mara.

Greater kudu: In Samburu.

African elephant: In Samburu, Aberdare and Masai Mara.

Oryx: In Samburu.

Common waterbuck: In Samburu.

Defassa waterbuck: In Lake Nukuru, Aberdare and Masai Mara.

Bohor reedbuck: In Masai Mara.

Black rhino: In Aberdare.

White rhino: In Lake Nukuru.

Hippopotamus: In Lake Navisha and Masai Mara.

Warthog: In Samburu, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Bushbock: In Aberdare.

Cokes hartebeest: In Masai Mara.

Topi: In Masai Mara.

Common Zebra: In Masai Mara.

Grevys zebra: In Samburu.

Grey duiker: Lake Nukuru and Masai Mara.

Gunters dik-dik: In Sambaru.

African buffalo: In Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Wildebeest: In Masai Mara.

Rock dassie: In Masai Mara.

Aardvark: Sambaru and Masai Mara.

4 species of squirrel: 3 in Sambaru and 1 in Aberdare.

Pangolin: In Aberdare and Masai Mara.

Olive baboon: In Sambaru, Aberdare, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Green monkey: In Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Abyssinian black and white colobus: In Lake Nakuru.

Zanzibar red colobus: On Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Common jackal: In Masai Mara.

Black-backed jackal: In Samburu, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara.

Common genet: In Sambaru.

Dwarf mongoose: In Sambaru.

Spotted hyena: In Masai Mara.

Serval: In Masai Mara.

Lion: Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Leopard: Lake Nakuru.

Cheetah: In Sambaru and Masai Mara.

Dugong: Off Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Giant rat: Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Sweden:

Roe deer

Moose

fallow deer

house mouse

red dear

mouflon

Red fox

beaver

lynx

brown bear

marten

Brown rat

two species of vole

Brown hare

European rabbit

Reindeer

1 species of bat

badger

hedgehog

otter

shrew ssp?

Scottland:

Grey seal

wildcat

red dear

Borneo:

Proboscis monkey

sambar deer

marbled cat

sun bear

Common porcupine

Long-tailed macaque

Pig-tailed macaque

bearded pig

otter

maroon leaf monkey

Silvered leaf-monkey

Papua New Guinea:

As I have lived here on PNG my whole life, the list has grown very much, I have recorded very many PNG mammals for being just a "ordinary person", it often dedicades a lot of searching to see many of the species listed below.

Short-beaked echidna: Kemp Welsh River.

Long-beaked echidna: Kemp Welsh River.

Black-tailed antechinus: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

New Guinea quoll: Port Moresby, killed my kids cat ;)

Broad-striped dasyure: In the city of Eboa.

Papuan Planigale: In our garden in Port Moresby.

Giant bandicoot: Port Moresby suburban.

Raffray bandicoot: While hikking in Owen stanley.

Northern brown bandicoot: Very often around Port Moresby.

Doria tree-kangaroo: Probably the mammal that I have observed most times, saw it first time when I was 5 years old, my grandparents often hunted them, the number of sightings has probably passed 25 by now.

Goodfellow tree kangaroo: I saw a single half dead animal on a market in Ako more than 30 years ago, this species is now eleminated in the whole eatern part of PNG :-C, ohhhh god what I hate these stupid hunters.

Grizzled tree kangaroo: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Huon tree kangaroo: Seen in the Huon peninsula, more than 10 years ago.

Vogelkop tree kangaroo: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

White-striped dorcopsis: Seen around Lake Sentani.

Grey dorcopsis: Seen daily in markets in Port Moresby, seen a few live ones in plain areas around Port Moresby.

Macleay dorcopsis: Probably the second rarest mammal I have ever seen, saw a single specimen about 15 years ago in a small grass land area a few miles west of Port Moresby, just another species which know is eleminated from the eastern half of the islands.

Agile wallaby: Once common around Port Moresby, I have seen fewer than 10 animals the last 20 years.

Dusky pademelon: A dead animal seen 7 years ago on a market in Port Moresby, and a group of 2-3 animals seen in Wasur NP.

Northern common cuscus: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop and around Sentani city.

Silky cuscus, been able to see three animals of this rare species in different markets, but never in wild state.

Common spotted cuscus: Seen around Sentani city.

Long-tailed pygmy-possum: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Long-fingered triok: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Striped possum: Seen around Port Moresby.

Sugar glider: Seen around Port Moresby.

Painted ringtail: Around Port Moresby and in our garden.

Common water rat: Seen around Port Moresby.

Large leptomys: Rarest mammal that I have ever seen, spotted a single adult specimen while taking a late walk in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Waterside rat: Seen in the Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Forbes tree-mouse: Around Port Moresby.

Broad-headed tree mouse: Around Port Moresby.

White-bellied melomys: Around Port Moresby.

Gassland melomys: Around Port Moresby.

Lowland melomys: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Mountain melomys: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Black-tailed melomys: Commonest murid of PNG and I have 10 records only from our garden, the total records made would probably be around 50?

Large tree mouse: MonoKwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Chestnut tree mouse: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop, around Port Moresby and around Lake Sentani.

Grey-bellied tree mouse: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Mottled-tailed giant-rat: Around Port Moresby.

Eastern rat: Very often recorded around Port Moresby.

Large spiny rat: Monokwari mountains, Vogelkop.

Great bare-baked fruit-bat: Often recorded around Port Moresby.

Greater tube-nosed bat: Around Lake Sentani.

Unstriped tube-nosed bat: Seen more than 10 years ago on the Huon peninsila.

Greater flying-fox: Recorded in mangrove forest east of Port Moresby.

Large melanesian bentwing-bat: Recorded around Port Moresby.

A few more seen recently:

Brown dorcopsis (seen a few times in grasslands around Sorong while out birding)

Long-nosed bandicoot (seen once while out birding a on a small unamed island west of Sorong, probably introduced)

Lowland ringtail (seen a few times in and around Sorong)

Common blossom bat (among the most common mammals here and seen always when out birding at night)

Unknown horse-shoe bat? ( seen flying over an esturine, spurred or New Guinean seems most likely, wishing for the rare Biak is probably to much)

teamsaint said:
I am surprised that no one has seen fallow deer whilst out birding. At Pulborough Brooks RSPB reserve in west sussex there are black fallow deer everywhere. I rarely see mammals when out birding but here is my total British mammal list.
Badger
Fox
Stoat
Red Deer
Roe Deer
Sika Deer
Fallow Deer
Red Squirrel (Only seen in Rep. of Ireland)
Grey Squirrel
Hedgehog
Rabbit
Brown Hare
Brown Rat
Common Seal
Harbour Porpoise
Grey Seal
House mousr
Wood Mouse
Weasel
Various bats which I can't identify

I have also seen dead moles, lots of otter evidence and water voles nests and tunnels.

I added a Muntjac last week which I saw at Brandon Marsh near Coventry.

I've seen the following mammals in Britain & Ireland, usually while bird watching:

Hedgehog

Mole

Pygmy Shrew

Common Shrew

Water Shrew

Pippistrelle Bat

Daubenton's Bat

Noctule Bat

Whiskered Bat

Leisler's Bat

Long-eared Bat

Mountain Hare

Irish Hare (now considered likely to be separate species; saw 4 this morning)

Brown Hare

Rabbit

Red Squirrel

Grey Squirrel

Bank Vole

Water Vole

House Mouse

Wood Mouse

Brown Rat

Red Fox

Badger

Stoat

Weasel

Otter

American Mink

Common Seal

Grey Seal

Roe Deer

Sika Deer

Red Deer

Fallow Deer

Muntjac Deer

Chinese Water Deer

Reindeer (in Cairngorms- not sure if these are really 'wild')

Feral Goat

Bottle-nosed Dolphin

Harbour Porpoise

Minke Whale

Have been birding on Salawati and Batanta the past weeks and a few new mammals have been added while out looking for birds.

Beaufort Bare-backed Fruit-bat: Absent from the PNG mainland. It was very common on Salawati and a few roosts of 20-30 animals were observed, while I saw a single specimen on Batanta.

Three-striped Dasyure: A single adult was seen on Salawati, observed feeding on fruits or nuts under a large tree.

Spectacled Flying-fox: Four colonies were found seen on Salawati, a few additional was seen flying over the forest canopy, seemed rare on Batanta and I saw only 3 individuals despite suitable habitat.

Rousette bat: Very, very common on both Islands and was observed on a daily basis.

Lesser sheathtail-bat: A single specimen was seen flying over an estuarine on Batanta.

Papuan Pipistrelle: A total of three individuals were seen on separate occasions on Salawati.

Diadem Horseshoe-bat: Quite common on Batanta and seen a couple of times, seen near a large cave where they probably roosted

Fawn Horseshoe-bat: A bat which probably was the species was observed on Batanta, seen near a large cave where it probably roosted.

New Guinea Horseshoe-bat: Seen in the central parts of Batanta, found roosting on some cliffs.

Common bentwing- bat: Observed daily on Batanta

My list would certinely exceed more than 100 species.

Most of them in Central, South America and Africa, a few in Denmark, Sweden, Spain and the US (California and Florida).

Yesterday I saw a cougar with a young along Rio Javari while looking for macaws, a true demon of the rainforest and you should be very lucky to see them in these dense forests, especially during day time ;)

sav said:
I've seen the following mammals in Britain & Ireland, usually while bird watching:

Hedgehog

Mole

Pygmy Shrew

Common Shrew

Water Shrew

Pippistrelle Bat

Daubenton's Bat

Noctule Bat

Whiskered Bat

Leisler's Bat

Long-eared Bat

Mountain Hare

Irish Hare (now considered likely to be separate species; saw 4 this morning)

Brown Hare

Rabbit

Red Squirrel

Grey Squirrel

Bank Vole

Water Vole

House Mouse

Wood Mouse

Brown Rat

Red Fox

Badger

Stoat

Weasel

Otter

American Mink

Common Seal

Grey Seal

Roe Deer

Sika Deer

Red Deer

Fallow Deer

Muntjac Deer

Chinese Water Deer

Reindeer (in Cairngorms- not sure if these are really 'wild')

Feral Goat

Bottle-nosed Dolphin

Harbour Porpoise

Minke Whale

I don't think the Reindeer in the Cairngorms are anything like wild, to be honest. They are driven down to shelter in winter (although one or two usually manage to avoid the round-up) and feature in Christmas pageants - wild, they must be livid! The owners will give you propaganda about reintroduction but the herd is a managed business. I reckon the Feral Goats are a better tick.

John

Farnboro John said:
I don't think the Reindeer in the Cairngorms are anything like wild, to be honest. They are driven down to shelter in winter (although one or two usually manage to avoid the round-up) and feature in Christmas pageants - wild, they must be livid! The owners will give you propaganda about reintroduction but the herd is a managed business. I reckon the Feral Goats are a better tick.

John

Cheers John,

Yeah, I know they aren't really wild but they looked good on the side of the mountain in the snow. But I don't suppose they are any wild Reindeer in Europe are there? I thought they were all part of managed herds in Scandanavia and lapland?

sav said:
Cheers John,

Yeah, I know they aren't really wild but they looked good on the side of the mountain in the snow. But I don't suppose they are any wild Reindeer in Europe are there? I thought they were all part of managed herds in Scandanavia and lapland?

No there is still pure wild reindeers left in quite large numbers in Norway, Finland and maybe some tiny numbers left in Sweden as well, I dont know about the status in the Europan part of Russia.

I saw some in Norway years ago.

Have seen a fair few species in the UK and Europe (including Tunisia):

Red Deer
Sika Deer
Fallow Deer
Roe Deer
Muntjac
Elk
Wild Boar
Red Fox
Fennec Fox
European Jackal
Badger
Otter
American Mink
Stoat
Weasel
Polecat
Common Seal
Grey Seal
Red Squirrel
Grey Squirrel
Alpine Marmot
European Suslik
Coypu
Muskrat
European Beaver
Brown Rat
Sand Rat
House Mouse
Wood Mouse
Yellow-necked Mouse
Bank Vole
Field Vole
Short-tailed Vole
Water Vole
Common Shrew
Pygmy Shrew
Greater White-toothed Shrew
Water Shrew
Rabbit
Brown Hare
Hedgehog
Eastern Hedgehog
Mole
Pipistrelle
Noctule
Brown Long-eared Bat
Daubentons Bat
Lesser Horseshoe Bat
Whiskered Bat
Harbour Porpoise
Common Dolphin
Bottle-nosed Dolphin
Short-finned Pilot Whale

My first Dugong seen today, seen while doing a short bird watching from by boat today, in the Mangroves sorrounding Sorong, this species is nearly exteripated from these waters today. Apparently an adult one, boat loads with locals was brought out to see it, hopefully it wasent to disturbed, I heard that the last spotting had been when it swimmed "back to open water again" but as it isnt a pelagic species it will probably remain along the coast, hopefully it will get unnoticed in the future and avoid fishing nets and hunters.

Amazonas_Alex said:
No there is still pure wild reindeers left in quite large numbers in Norway, Finland and maybe some tiny numbers left in Sweden as well, I dont know about the status in the Europan part of Russia.

I saw some in Norway years ago.

I've seen odd ones loose on the Cairngorms and they don't look out of place, but I haven't ticked them for UK.

However I have ticked introduced ones on South Georgia - and the 300 or more did look good in the snow there! At least they were introduced by Scandinavians...

John

Wild Boar group with striped piglets - smaller than a rabbit, running around, sucking sow etc. Wonderful sight. Also elk and beaver - in C. Poland over Easter.

Dont get much down here nowdays, the farest I seems to get is my neighbours goats which seems to be all over the place. :'D

As I have lived on Palawan almost my entirely life I have seen more than 95% of those mammals which occurs there. Most recently was a pangolin seen crawling over a road as I watched a few peacocks.

I suppose most wild mammals has been tracked down and killed around here around Quezon, but I usually get plenty of mammals while visiting Mt. Kitanglad.

A flying lemur crashed into my head when I was looking after owls at Mt Kitanglad late at night a few months ago, lucklily the poor one survived but it seemed to be quite terrified.

I often see alot of bats and flying foxes when I bird around Mt Kitanglad and the ones seen here so far is,

Golden-crowned flying fox
Common short-nosed fruit bat
Philippine nectar bat
Common nectar bat
Philippine pygmy fruit bat
Harpy fruit bat
Musky fruit bat
Lesser musky fruit bat
Large flying fox
Common rousette
Diadem roundleaf bat
Philippine forest roundleaf bat (just once)
Philippine forest horseshoe bat
Yellow-faced horseshoe bat
Philippine sheath-tailed bat
Common Asian ghost bat
Whitehead's woolly bat
Lesser Asian house bat
Greater bent-winged bat
Little golden-mantled flying fox
Philippine gray flying fox
Common island flying fox (first confirmed record from Mindanao as I watched some tropicbirds)

bat geek and always sees one as iam out in the field. :'D

Other mammals seen on Mindanao are

Long-tailed macaque
Mindanao tree shrew
Philippine pygmy squirrel
Mindanao flying squirrel (my favoruite one)
Philippine tree squirrel
Rice-field rat
Mindanao hairy-tailed rat
Large Mindanao forest rat
Common Philippine forest rat
Philippine tarsier
Common palm civet
Philippine warty pig
Philippine brown deer

On Tawitawi (Sulu Islands)

Philippine large-footed myotis
Arcuate horseshoe bat

On Cebu
Philippine tube-nosed fruit bat
Wrinkle-lipped bat

On Negros
Visayan warty pig
Visayan spotted deer

On Luzon
Southern Luzon giant cloud rat
Northern Luzon giant cloud rat
Luzon hairy-tailed rat
Lowland striped shrew-rat

Some week ago I visited Port Moresby to visit my parents, birded a few days and managed to get many news mammals to the list as I birded arond PM and in the surroundings, mainly thanks to my cousin which studies at a university in PM and knows the best places for birding around PM, where you mostly sees large numbers of mammals as well.

Short-furred dasyure
Mountain cuscus
Ground cuscus
Southern common cuscus
Plush-coated ringtail
Uneven-toothed rat
Eastern white-eared giant-rat
Long-footed tree-mouse
Thomas melomys
Monckton melomys
Black-tailed giant-rat
Cape York rat
canefield rat
slender rat
Round-eared tube-nosed bat
Northern blossom bat
Maggie Taylor horsesshoe-bat
Little bentwing-bat
Common bentwing bat
Little Northern broad-nosed bat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back