• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto head/leg wobble (1 Viewer)

jebmke

United States
I have a Kowa 883 scope mounted on a Manfrotto 290 (Carbon) tripod with a Manfrotto MVH500AH head. The tripod has one set screw to secure the head after spinning it on the main mounting screw.

Periodically, despite a tight set screw, the head loosens from the legs and develops a slight wobble. It can be retightened by spinning the head back on the mounting screw so it appears that it creeps around on the mounting screw despite the set screw being tightened.

I have an older Man tripod that I am using with another scope – a Leica 65mm. The older tripod has three set screws and it has never developed a wobble with either the old Man head or the new Sirui head I put on a year ago.

The instruction for the 500AH head indicates that Man tripods have three set screws. The tripod instructions only refer to one.

When I inquired with Manfrotto about this wobble problem, one suggestion was to use Loctite on the mounting screw. That seems crazy to me. Wouldn’t it permanently glue the head to the legs?

I’m tempted to replace the whole rig with a different tripod manufacturer. I have a Sirui VA-5 head that I use with my smaller Leica and I like this head so I’m tempted to buy another one and simply find a new set of legs that has more secure fastening to the head.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks. They weren't specific but that makes more sense. That would probably be worth a try to see if it will hold the head on more tightly.

Agree with Richard D, 'blue" Loctite will not be permanent.
But as a belt and bracers I would (as I have said before on here) wind some PTFE plumbers tape around the male thread before screwing the Head on.

If you are going to use loctite, the purple 222 might be a safer choice than the blue formula. Check this video for comparison:

I used purple 222 on my ball head which mounts my scope sideways for 2 months now, no loosening yet and holding up fine. Accidental turning of my scope when the pan knob was tightened did not loosen the head on multiple occasions.

Or purchase a couple of additional set screws; I have the same fluid head on Swarovski CF legs and so far ( c.10 years ) have not experienced any looseness or wobbles. Just a periodic oil / unscrewing / retightening has sufficed. Good luck.

It really sounds as if you are doing something wrong.
Retract the grub screw(s) on the tripod centre column with a 3 mm Allen key so that they don't project above the top surface.
Screw on the head and lock the panorama function. Now apply a generous amount of torque in a clockwise direction with the panning lever.
You can now retighten the grub screws from the underside of the centre column.

John

Retract the grub screw(s) on the tripod centre column with a 3 mm Allen key so that they don't project above the top surface.
Screw on the head and lock the panorama function. Now apply a generous amount of torque in a clockwise direction with the panning lever.
Absolutely right. That's the way to do it.

Hermann

Or purchase a couple of additional set screws; I have the same fluid head on Swarovski CF legs and so far ( c.10 years ) have not experienced any looseness or wobbles. Just a periodic oil / unscrewing / retightening has sufficed. Good luck.
I considered that but there is only one hole on the legs.

John
he will correct me if I am wrong but the tripod PLATE DOES NOT have any Grub Screw retainers. Older tripods only have the thread for attaching the head and relies on the friction of the screw.

John
That is how I assembled it from the start. The set screw pulls back below the plane of the top of the legs and the head screws on top. Then tighten the set screw.

I have never seen a manfrotto tripod that did not have provision for 3 grubscrews the instructions assume the user will tighten all 3 if 2 are missing then replace them just make sure the head is right on and you should have no problem these can be checked occasionally.
I have had a manfrotto tripod over 25 years but have been lucky not to have this trouble.
Manfrotto would not make provision for 3 grubscrews if 1 was enough make sure all 3 are backed off when you fit the head and then don't be afraid to overtighten.
It has now been pointed out to me you may be new to Manfrotto so to locate the grubscrews turn the tripod upside down and you will find them on the underside of the plate the head sits upon if you already know this please do not take offence.

Last edited:
Apparently the newer tripods have only one grub screw.

mttripodgrubscrew.jpg

Manfrotto Head – ManfrottoTripodParts

yes; that is how mine came. I think some other manufacturers have three.

I appreciate all the responses. I will try the thread lock first - that seems to be a good approach.
Thanks for the info I expect that would come under the heading of progress the same term they use when they cut down trees and generally muck the place up.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back