• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or Willow tit? Norfolk UK. (1 Viewer)

OldBins

United Kingdom
Hello again!

Marsh or Willow tit please?
In predominantly pine woodlands. No rivers or ponds nearby.

Thank you.marsh-or-willow.jpg

Head/Neck looks even more Marsh in that one, and I'm not seeing a middle wing pale panel or rustyness on flanks that would raise questions.

To me the bill is inconclusive - not all Marsh Tits show a strong white spot and Willow Tit bills whilst generally a solid dark tone do vary...

I'm not seeing anything that strongly points to Willow whilst seeing more pointers towards Marsh, but individuals do vary which always makes these two difficult without hearing a call.

I wouldn't have thought so: that's just the most-obvious part of wide whitish cutting edges to the whole (or thereabouts) length of upper and lower mandibles.
No, not for me. There is a distinct white spot in addition to the pale mandible margins

(There are other reasons why this is marsh like glossy cap, head shape etc)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back