• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar B2? (3 Viewers)

Meopta has recently posted a number of news items on it’s site, though as yet none concerning the sale, see at: News | Meopta :: Better view of the world

One dated the 18th May, is about successfully tendering to provide the UTAAS (Universal Tank and Anti-Aircraft Fire Control System) targeting technology,
for the Mk V version of the CV90 infantry fighting vehicle to be produced by the Swedish company BAE Systems.

So Meopta will necessarily remain an ongoing concern, at least in some form. Though as gabik notes, the binocular (sports optics) division is a small part of the overall operations.

As the news item states:
'Meopta is one of the strategic companies in the Czech Republic and this year marks its 90th anniversary since its founding, when it began developing telescopes, observation devices, and scopes for civilian and military use.

Today, Meopta is a global technology company with partners worldwide and advanced manufacturing facilities in the Czech Republic and the United States.
It employs 1,700 people, with 99% of its production exported to over 70 countries around the world.

Meopta now develops and manufactures advanced optical and optoelectronic systems, ranging from military and sports optics to semiconductors, digital cinema projection, medical, and industrial applications. A significant competitive advantage is its own development center and industrial quality control.'

John
I always enjoy reading your news !

Meopta has recently posted a number of news items on it’s site, though as yet none concerning the sale, see at: News | Meopta :: Better view of the world

One dated the 18th May, is about successfully tendering to provide the UTAAS (Universal Tank and Anti-Aircraft Fire Control System) targeting technology,
for the Mk IV version of the CV90 infantry fighting vehicle, to be produced by the Swedish division of BAE Systems *

So Meopta will necessarily remain an ongoing concern, at least in some form. Though as gabik notes, the binocular (sports optics) division is a small part of the overall operations.

John

* For more details, see the BAE press release of the 24th May at: https://www.baesystems.com/en/artic...rds-bae-systems-contract-to-acquire-246-cv90s
To take note....doesn't Meopta make the spotting scope the US military uses? Essentially the S2 but if so, they ARE STILL relevant in the optics business. Bins or scopes...jim

Since the announcement of the new ownership, part of the Meopta site has been significantly modified . . .

The Sports & Lifestyle (consumer optics) portion has been greatly reduced
- all that's left of the product details, is the page for downloading catalogues and manuals.

In contrast, both the Industrial & OEM and the Military Applications sections still have all the previous pages and details.
For comparison, start at: Home | Meopta :: Better view of the world

. . . As to what this means - if anything - in relation to the future of consumer optics?

John

Since the announcement of the new ownership, part of the Meopta site has been significantly modified . . .

The Sports & Lifestyle (consumer optics) portion has been greatly reduced
- all that's left of the product details, is the page for downloading catalogues and manuals.

In contrast, both the Industrial & OEM and the Military Applications sections still have all the previous pages and details.
For comparison, start at: Home | Meopta :: Better view of the world

. . . As to what this means - if anything - in relation to the future of consumer optics?

John
Sounds like there will not be a B2 ...sadly.... jim

Thanks for the updates. Seems like the news is official per the website linked above

Carlyle will seek to support Meopta’s growth in partnership with its management team by capturing the opportunity in more advanced built-to-spec use cases through an increased focus on R&D, capitalizing on attractive opportunities in a diverse range of end markets, expanding its international presence through the creation of a direct sales network, and improving its operations.

What specifically is expected (by forum members) of a "B2" beyond the B1 Plus? Sorry I have apparently missed that in some other threads. I am thinking in particular of the 15x56 as I have it, also the 12x50 as I might go for it. Members want (in alphabetical order) the Leica Noctivid, Swaro. NL, and Zeiss SF improved yet further each in this or that way, and some of those criteria I recall, but in which way/s the Meopta B1 Plus? Thanks. (As a proper BirdForum member, I want to know what it is about my bino that I should be not satisfied with!)

Correction in edit. I mean B1 Plus HD. I mistakenly thought only the HD models are named "Plus".

Last edited:
What I recall is (in various models) wider FOV, lighter weight, higher transmission, and/or more neutral color if a bit yellow. Oh and of course no focuser can ever be smooth enough...

I'm more curious what will be the fate of B2 in general as well as their price. In months leading up to the sale we saw them raise prices at the US website by a solid 30-40%. Maybe this was just a business tactic to make it look like they have recent strong sales to have leverage for the deal. But what if it's an indicator that sales aren't good for meopta optical. Which while speculation on my part, if true could mean Caryle offers new Meopta offerrings on the higher pricing tiers or maybe they just axe optical and focus on military application which is where presumably the money is.

I wonder why Zeiss couldn't close in on a deal. if it was a monopoly issue, foreign country issue, or executive squabble.

All the same I've always wanted a pair of the meopta 12x50 and to try the 15x56 but now I'm wondering if there will even be a B2.

Last edited:
What I recall is (in various models) wider FOV, lighter weight, higher transmission, and/or more neutral color if a bit yellow. Oh and of course no focuser can ever be smooth enough...

Thanks. Wider FOV (as in competition): yes, tick.

Weight: some like the reassurance of the "solid"/"tough" feel the weight of Meopta binos gives. Slightly lower transmission: it seems this is due to Meopta's prism coating, discussed before in BF. Its benefits include better clarity (vs the best competition), praised in reviews, and a (unique?) "calm"/"soothing" effect in the image. Color: this applies to the non-HD models, which I mistakenly thought are not named "Plus" (now corrected above).

It seems to me that Meopta and Leica choose to stay with their secret sauces.

Last edited:
...In months leading up to the sale we saw them raise prices at the US website by a solid 30-40%. Maybe this was just a business tactic...
Something strange is going on. I was eyeing particularly the prices of the 15x56 at many retailers, they went up very steeply at most or all except B&H, but by 2% there, and remain thus today.

It surprises me, that the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 is not sold more frequently, since the specifications as we found are almost similar to those of the Leica Ultravid HD plus 8x32.

Meopta B1 8x32 (2016):
weight 588 g, close focus 1,6 m, FOV 139 m/1000m, eyerelief 15,5 mm, transmission 500nm=86,1%, 550 nm=89,9%, color reproduction very good, price 879 euro

Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32 (2016)
weight 531 g, close focus 2,1 m, FOV 135m/1000m, eyerelief 13,3 mm, transmission 500nm= 86,8%, 550 nm= 89,2%, color reproduction very good, price 1880 euro.

A full test report is pubished on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor
Gijs van Ginkel

It seems the Meopta B1 42mm aren't that much more expensive than the 32mm so maybe that's why?

Also on Zeiss speculation front, it occurred to me maybe they couldn't procure funding so perhaps they are the one's not in top financial shape (?? -- just a thought.

Adhoc: I have had a few Meopta binoculars and all of them are still floating around the local birding community:
the 8x32 B1, the B1 Plus 10x42HD, the B1 Plus 15x56 HD and the B1 Plus 12x50 HD.

They are excellent value for the money and I wish more people had the opportunity to try the Meostar 8x32 as it is very easy on the eyes and would suit most people looking for an excellent mid sized binocular.

I am not as surprised as Gijs that they don’t sell well. Unfortunately Meopta does not have a well established sales network and it seems that mostly hunters know about them, at least over here. Most have never heard of them.

The warm cast of the Meoptas is something I have not seen on the B1 Plus models, recent 8x32, 10x42HD or 12x50HD. I have seen it in the 7x42 and an older Meopta.

I still have the Meostar 12x50 HD B1 Plus which to me is the best of the lot. It is as good as the 10x42 HD but at 12X and I think it is a little bit better than the 15x56 - at least with glasses, in regards to eye relief.

The 12x50 is not as easy to hold steady as the Swarovski EL 12x50 (despite similar weight) or the Pure NL 12x42. For me this is a non issue as I use it with a monopod and the terrific optical performance of the Meopta is easily on par with the Swarowskis - at least in the center of the image and the CA control of the Meopta, the glare resistance and crisp focus makes all the difference to me.

Compared to the Pure NL the Meopta on paper looks a little narrow in the field of view but I find that for this class of binocular it isn’t that important. I find I like having a smaller field of view (still ”immersive” image) as I use it for reach, or birds in flight. For birds in flight (and plane spotting) in any type of weather the Meopta 12x50 is still my go to. I do actually prefer it to the Pure NL 12x42 which I think excels in other areas.

For a B2 series I would expect/hope for:

8x32 as a HD model with more comfortable eye cups. Other than that it is fine as it is.
8x42 same. Very fine bino but it is not a stand out as it is today.
10x42HD with a wider view. But not if it gets much longer, I’d rather it lost some weight. It is a stubby bino with excellent performance. Just a little heavy.
12x50HD - a little more eye relief and perhaps better ergonomics for hand held use. Wider view? Yes, unless it makes it takes a toll on the glare resistance or if it becomes even larger.

Of course a 7x35 or lighter 7x42 would be super nice. I was very impressed by the Meostar 7x42 for ergonomics, eye relief and overall handling. It is just a little heavy. A little update on the optics for the 7x42 and I would accept the weight.

Prices have gone up in Sweden as well. Our Krona is very weak so anything we import has gone up quite a bit.
Meopta are no longer cheap by any stretch of the meaning but in comparison to the other well known brands they are still a good to great alternative in terms of build, optical quality, warranty (30 years if registered online) and cost.

I was sent a 8x42 Meostar by mistake when I wanted to try out the B1 Plus 8x32. I only looked briefly through the 8x42 as I sent it back the day after, but it was a very good binocular. I was looking at smaller binos so did not pay too much attention to the 8x42. Also in the 8x42 segment there are plenty of very good binoculars.

It seems the Meopta B1 42mm aren't that much more expensive than the 32mm so maybe that's why?

Also on Zeiss speculation front, it occurred to me maybe they couldn't procure funding so perhaps they are the one's not in top financial shape (?? -- just a thought.

Yes, they are quite close in price. However I suspect none of them are flying off the shelf.
I prefer the 8x32 as it has the bigger glass view to it which is not too common in that format.

In relation to prices . . .

A) Earlier this month, I posted that Meopta USA was offering a 10% discount on on-line orders until 20th June
(see post #5,106 at: Binocular bargains )

B) However, the offer has since been increased to a 20% discount until 28th June:

To 28th June 2023.jpg

It seems Meopta may be disposing of the stock that it has on hand (?)

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the notification. Just to be clear though, even with the 20% "discount" prices are still higher after the original 30-40% price increases. In that regard, still seems to me like a push towards more revenue/better sales than disposing of stock per se -- though maybe both?

I'm thinking about picking up the 15x56 for stargazing. I had a 20x65 astro bino before. And keep trying to convince myself that the 15x will fill the void.

I was looking over the 12x and 15x meopta weights and noticed that the 12x is surprisingly heavy (compared to the reference bino I'm using -- though maybe the latter is on the lighter side?). I could definitely see a demand for lighter b2 binos going forward.

I was comparing them against binos from tract optics because I currently have their 10x pair and have always felt I wanted 12x instead. (The tracts still give me nice "wow" moments because of their transparency view but drive me up a wall because of their CA.) And so I've always window shopped the meoptas which are really well regarded but apparently a few ounces heavier.

tract 10x42 - 27.2oz vs. meopta b1+ 10x42 - 33.3oz
tract 12.5x50 - 32.6oz vs. meopta b1+ 12x50 - 37.7oz
tract 15x56 - 43.8oz vs. meopta b1+ 15x56 - 43oz

Makes me wonder if the long sought 12x meopta might not be too heavy for me. Or perhaps the extra weight would stabilize the view handheld.

I went from B1 Plus 15x56 to the B1 Plus 12x50. The German Meopta brochure says that Meopta themselves regards the 12x50 ”their best binocular”.

It is excellent - but handheld it is a bit of a chore, not primarily because of the weight. The Pure NL 12x42 was surprisingly easy to handhold and the EL 12x50 I find relatively easy to hold steady. I use a monopod with tilt head and the view is super crisp with the Meopta but it stays on the monopod. It actually stands up on a mini tripod foot so I leave it on the monopod mounted on s Swarovski Tas-SLC quick release stud mount. Always ready to use but I have it in a corner where the dog and cat won’t topple it over 😬.

EDIT: Optically and build wise there is nothing I lack in the Meopta 12x50 HD. For value for money I don’t think there is any better in this class of binocular. I don’t know how suitable it is for astronomy use. The achilles heel of the Meopta is that it is a tougher to hand hold than some others. With support you reap the optical benefits. Also, as I mentioned before several times, the Meopta 12x50 HD is very resistant to glare and adverse light conditions and I have yet to see a better corrected binocular in the very center. As crisp as they get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back