• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MHG 10x30: usable eye relief & blackouts. (1 Viewer)

Anderlfs

Brazil
Hi all!
The Monarch HG 8x30 have some reports about blackouts, but didn´t find too much for the 10x30. Considering that 8x has an eye relief of 16.2mm, It likely that blackout problems will not occur on the 10x which has an eye relief of 15.2mm, right? I thought about the possibility that the eyecups were designed with the 10x30 in mind, hence the blackouts in the 8x30.

Based on the MHG 8x30's usable eye relief of a surprising 15.5mm, I estimate that the 10x30's should be 14.5mm, which is extraordinary for compacts of this magnification. Who has experience with it? With glasses, is the relief enough? Without glasses, is there blackout?

I use it with eyeglasses, but I intend to share it with my daughter to show her some wonders.

I don't think there's much logic to which models have too shallow eyecups, only to the solution, substituting others from a model with longer eye relief (if possible). Some have no difference in ER between 8x and 10x. 1mm isn't much because the face is a bit elastic, while 2-3mm can matter. But I have no experience with MHGs specifically. (If your daughter is young, 10x could be a bit much; I've lent mine to kids with a rather low success rate.)

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, tenex. I can imagine how difficult it must be for a child to hold a 10x binocular, but the idea is to use a lightweight tripod that I already have and leave it "in the right spot" for them to just look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back