• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Might take the jump, 7x42s? (3 Viewers)

eetundra said:
The edge is what I am asking about.
The edges on the SLC 7X42 are the best of the big three 7X42's, but it really makes little or no difference in what you "see". I'm very sensitive to small sweet spots and I'd be very happy with any of the 7X42 models. I cannot say the same about any other configuration.

I own the Ultravid 7X42 and it's a very fine binocular.

John

PS
I agree with Steve's ranking in post #20 but, again, it will make no difference in the field. The excellent 7X42 FL is the one FL I'd gladly own!

Last edited:
Is it true that Leica has begun using a lubricant on their focus? Due to the lower cost and the nice view I'd lean towards the SLC at the moment myself. I do agree it is heavier than the others and that might bother me unless I get a harness or a fat strap. If Leica has begun lunricating the works I could be tempted to go with that, having a lighter weight and a closer focus. The Zeiss looks a bit goofy to me, unless it was astonishing in comparison to the other two I'll pass on that one.

eetundra said:
Is it true that Leica has begun using a lubricant on their focus? Due to the lower cost and the nice view I'd lean towards the SLC at the moment myself. I do agree it is heavier than the others and that might bother me unless I get a harness or a fat strap. If Leica has begun lunricating the works I could be tempted to go with that, having a lighter weight and a closer focus. The Zeiss looks a bit goofy to me, unless it was astonishing in comparison to the other two I'll pass on that one.

i recently sent leica service department an email to ask just that question,their reply was that all the full size ba and bn trinovid models had been manufactured with lubricated focus mechanisms.

dear mr green

thank you for your email,please take this email as confirmation that all the trinovid range BA,BN were designed with the focus mechanism lubricated.

with kind regards

marketing dept

found this reply odd as leica has often stated their trinovids and ultravids as dry focusing for ease of use in cold climates,the mystery continues?

matt

Last edited:
matt green said:
..found this reply odd as leica has often stated their trinovids and ultravids as dry focusing for ease of use in cold climates,the mystery continues?

matt

But, most of all, it does not say anything about the Ultravids. (Well you did not ask.) I have owned a 8x32 BA for about 10 years, and the focus has never been scratchy, unlike many Ultravids. And this has never been a major topic for Trinovids, anyway. The main concern is rather that the focus tends to develop a little bit of (nevertheless annoying) play over the years.

eetundra: There ARE Ultravids with silky smooth focus! I suggest you look for that version. At least if close focus is an issue. But I should add that I own a 8x42 FL and am VERY happy with it. Have had it for a bit over half a year now. It's not my favorite design, but there certainly is nothing "goofy" about these FLs. And it's the optics I bought them for, not the looks.

Last edited:
Well to my eye they look odd, and I don't know if I'd like to own something that looks odd to me.

I rechecked some specifications online and the close focus is not terribly better for the 7x Leicas. The difference is 3.3m/11ft for the Leica and 4m/13ft for the SLC. I use a military style 7x50 and the extra weight for the bigger prisms as stated above is a familiar situation to me.

Still leaning towards the SLC at the moment.

eetundra said:
Well to my eye they look odd, and I don't know if I'd like to own something that looks odd to me.

I rechecked some specifications online and the close focus is not terribly better for the 7x Leicas. The difference is 3.3m/11ft for the Leica and 4m/13ft for the SLC. I use a military style 7x50 and the extra weight for the bigger prisms as stated above is a familiar situation to me.

Still leaning towards the SLC at the moment.

Each of the 3 7x42s has its own strengths. Swaro: sharpness across the fov and at the edge, very good perfomance in twilight but slightly yellow cast. Leica: natural colours and best contrast, Zeiss: the brightest, widest fov, natural colors as well. CA isn´t an issue with all of them. You really can´t go wrong in respect of optics with any of them. Best you can do now is to try them and to find out which one fits best to your eyes and hands.

Steve

I tried the SLC 7x42 at a local shop today. They are the best binocs I have ever looked through. I tried a Leica right afterward and it also had an image quality comparable to the SLC. Unfortunately I can't remember much about the Leica. The Swaro had everything AND the image. Great feel in the hands, an instant image appearing before you as you put it to your eyes, balance, heft (I liked the weight), the silky smooth focus. As far as edge sharpness, maybe the outer 3% was soft -- that's it. I can't afford the SLC, but if you can, go for it!

Eetundra,

I own the Swaro 7x42 SLCs (Swarobright version) and personally prefer them to Ultravids and Victory FLs. However, there is now a fourth top quality 7x42 contender, the Meopta B1, which came on the market last year. They are sometimes described as SLC look-alikes but are, in fact, 15mm shorter and about 60g lighter.
I recently bought a pair of 7x42s for my wife, so have been able to conduct detailed comparisons. Both SLCs and Meoptas offer a bright easy view with similar eye relief and very good edge sharpness, which is superior to the Zeiss Victory. It may well just be field curvature on the Zeiss but if you have poor accommodation, as I do, it amounts to the same thing. CA on both is also similar and, while seldom troublesome, is definitely inferior to the Zeiss.
The Meoptas focus down to 3m and have a slightly larger fov than the SLCs. It is quoted on the Meopta website as 137m @ 1000m but this must be a misprint as that is also the figure for the 8x42s. They come with a useful carrying case and are about 60% of the price of the SLCs. On the negative side, the twist-out eye cups are a little loose compared to Swaro, the focussing wheel, while smooth and precise, is still somewhat stiff, and pincussion distortion is of similar magnitude to Leica and Zeiss.

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back