• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration observations (1 Viewer)

brianbaggott

Hello
I am Brian and I live in darkest Dorset and would like to share some observations with you to see if anyone else has similar tales

I have watched the swallows and martins for many years around our cottage in darkest Dorset and I have noticed a pattern for departure days for both species. The swallows often have a third brood in august and during this time lots of youngsters sit in regimented lines on our overhead electricty cable. There seems to be many tens of these fledged youngsters lining up and chatting and then the skies become bare again with only the larger parent birds sweeping over the meadow and stables. It is as though mums and dads of the young tell them to start early and avoid the possibility of running into late summer storms. Has anyone else witnessed this?
We had for many years three swifts that enjoyed a wooden roost I errected under the eaves but it has been two summers since we saw them so that is sad. We have a small pond with a small cascade and it has been a joy to watch the Wagtails, many warbers including some aggressive Dartford Warblers enjoing a soak in the shallow pool at the top of the cascade. It has been an amazing summer and we witnesed a family of Goldcrests raise 4 offspring. Sadly last week a very large Flamingo Maple tree which my wife and I brought with us from Hampshire 31 years ago was ripped up like a paper sack and scattered across three areas of lawn and meadow. Sitting looking at all our little friends in sitting on the meadow fence and wondering where their tree has gone is so sad. This act of nature vandalism only lasted for 6 minutes and the vortex of this typhoon passed through our garden and made its exit between two sturdy old oak trees and 3 minutes later the sun was out. Is this our new norm I wonder-
Brian

Hi Brian and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

That's such a shame you've lost that lovely tree lad. Re the migration obvservations, I've not seen that as I don't have a colony so close to observe in that way. But a different observation I had was that I'd see a single Swallow arrive in the village I use to live in. He'd be around for a day, or two, then disappear and I'd not see any for a few days. Suddenly they were around in numbers!

I'm sure the original one was a scout checking out the conditions, then went back to call his friends in!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi ya Brian and a warm welcome to you from across the pond ;)

Please join in wherever you like.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

I had no idea that there had been a typhoon in Dorset. What a shame about your tree.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back