• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (17 Viewers)

OK the paint's not even dry on this yet but I thought I'd better post it tonight before I lose all confidence in it in the morning. I blame Tim for suggesting that I do something similar to the quickie lapwing painting...

Mike
In which case I take all the credit for this fantabulistic piece of work. Absolutely love it. There are clear references back to your painterly lapwings piece, but this, to my eyes, combines the freedom of expression of that, with a controlled realism of your former work. Not for me to say, but I'd be looking to this painting as a guide for future work.

damn fine it is too! the colours in it are fantastic, and plovers like that make me think of back home - just love it!

I really like the plovers- they really remind me of time spent at Paull Holme Strays on the Humber Estuary. I don't know why that is, it's probably the light in the painting, but I think it's a good sign when paintings stir up such strong, real memories so easily.

Pretty special little painting this. As mentioned by others, the light is wonderfully rendered. I would echo Tim's sentiments on this piece. It may not of taken as long as many of your more carefully rendered works, but that detracts little from it, in fact it gains a great deal from being loosely painted. Personally this ranks high on the list of favourite works here on the forum, wonderful painting...
On a completely selfish note I would say one of the best things about this painting is that just looking at it makes me want to paint...

Last edited:
Thanks all. This looser route is a road I travel from time to time as I enjoy the journey. However I've not yet managed to reach the destination and I'm never completely happy with the results. I'm glad I've stirred up some positive memories and reactions because, I suppose, that's what I aim for from all my paintings. The light is an effect I'm familiar with being more or less an early morning sort of birder. It's pretty certain that there'll be more along these lines, maybe even in oils if Santa's good to me this year, for now though the woodpecker has had some adjustments made and the detailing continues on.

I had a bit of a flat day at Elmley this morning, damp, crappy weather but a couple of owls compensated a bit. I'll post sketches tomorrow hopefully.

Mike

As I mentioned previously, Sunday was really not a good day at Elmley. Best birds were the barn owl hunting behind the farm and the SEO was back close to the spot it was in last week. A couple of pintails were snoozing on the islands for a while too.

Mike

Attachments

• elmbarny.jpg
    elmbarny.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 60
  • pintails.jpg
    pintails.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 57
Terrific owls Mike - obviously a bird you know really well. Pintail's great too - perhaps the lack of birds allowed you to study the ones you did see in a bit greater depth? Whatever, super work again.

nothing to say about the owls, they're what you do brilliantly and these are no exception. You've done well with the pintails, they've got great shapes on them and a joy to draw, and a joy to see drawings of them as good as this.

I just wish the pintails had hung around a bit longer as I'd only just started the female but something spooked 'em!

Mike

Yes... The owls... Simple and beautiful. I'm staring hard and trying to understand how you do it, so that I won't get lost for "lines" when I see my first Barnies.

And the plover painting is magnificent, the birds feel so right.

Elina

I've been kept away from the forum a bit by family duties (Xmas shopping mainly), trying to save some money by not having the home pc on all day, and by a large and uninteresting illustration project (maps of the US in various styles). I've still managed Sunday morning jaunts though, I don't think I could cope without them really.

This sunday was quiet but satisfying. Highlights were probably the big swirling flocks of wigeon, teal and peewits all put up by quartering marsh harriers. Every now and then the sun poked through for a few moments and the turning birds winked on and off as the rays of light caught them. Not much happening on the scrape, a flock of teal, wigeon, and the odd pintail were milling about at the far side and a ringed plover was resting on one of the closer islands, keeping a wary eye out for the marshies.

The woodpecker inches forward and should be finished soon (if I stay sober long enough over Christmas!).

Mike

Attachments

• xmasrps1.jpg
    xmasrps1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 63
  • xmasrps2.jpg
    xmasrps2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 67
I've been kept away from the forum a bit by family duties (Xmas shopping mainly), trying to save some money by not having the home pc on all day, and by a large and uninteresting illustration project (maps of the US in various styles). I've still managed Sunday morning jaunts though, I don't think I could cope without them really.

This sunday was quiet but satisfying. Highlights were probably the big swirling flocks of wigeon, teal and peewits all put up by quartering marsh harriers. Every now and then the sun poked through for a few moments and the turning birds winked on and off as the rays of light caught them. Not much happening on the scrape, a flock of teal, wigeon, and the odd pintail were milling about at the far side and a ringed plover was resting on one of the closer islands, keeping a wary eye out for the marshies.

The woodpecker inches forward and should be finished soon (if I stay sober long enough over Christmas!).

Mike

Wow. Tremendous fieldwork. The bottom bird on the second post is just so good, it knew you were there and you captured it in the sketch. This is something you can only get by being there sketching.
Look forward to the Pecker, but no need to stay too sober Mike, enjoy your XMAS!

Mike

Wow. Tremendous fieldwork. The bottom bird on the second post is just so good, it knew you were there and you captured it in the sketch. This is something you can only get by being there sketching.
Look forward to the Pecker, but no need to stay too sober Mike, enjoy your XMAS!

so many of these plovers are just exactly plover, they trot and freeze across the paper like across a beach.

Sober? painting when sober? sober at xmas? pfffttt!

But get the pecker done when you can!

Huge shout for the bottom plover 2nd page - this is what fieldwork is all about, just perfect drawing.
Have a fine time Mike - all the best to you and yours.

You've drawn these plovers differently to other recent work, especially second sheet. Grainier pencil maybe? They look really good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back