• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on cabanisii / cabanidis / cabanisi / Cabanisia (1 Viewer)

That'll do, that will be enough. I've got all that I need (and far more) on the Great Cabanis (for my MS, that is, I certainly don't need to know exactly what caused his Death).

Here:

Er übersiedelte nach Friedrichshagen bei Berlin, wo er wenige Tage vor Vollendung seines neunzigsten Lebensjahres am 21. Februar nach kurzem Krankenlager verschied.

Means he died after a short illness. And 89 years is indeed a handsome age. RIP.

"... am 21. Februar" ?!?
The death certificate itself is dated "21. Februar 1906", which is the date on which his death was declared to the authorities. (By "die Frau Professor Sara Frenzel geborene Cabanis", residing at the same address as "der Königliche Professor außer Dienst Jean Louis Bennoit Cabanis" himself -- presumably his daughter "4. Agnes Antoinette Sara" in the Deutsche Hugenotten-Gesellschaft data, in post #4 above?)

We have seen events associated to the date of their declaration a number of times in the past. (Children born "hier" = yesterday, in French birth records, etc.)

Last edited:
As it took me some time to figure out a couple of words, here is a complete transcription of the death certificate, as to avoid that someone else might have to repeat the work. I think it's more or less correct -- but maybe Martin can check it to be sure ?
The printed part of the text is in bold; the handwritten part is in regular fonts.
----------

Nr. 19.
Friedrichshagen am 21. Februar 1906.

Vor dem unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschien heute, der Persönlichkeit nach bekannt, die Frau Professor Sara Frenzel geborene Cabanis wohnhaft in Friedrichshagen Friedrichstraße 103 und zeigte an, daß der Königliche Professor außer Dienst Jean Louis Bennoit Cabanis, 89 Jahr alt, evangelischer Religion, wohnhaft in Friedrichshagen Friedrichstraße 103 geboren zu Berlin, Witwer, Sohn des Tapetenfabrikanten Jean Louis Bennoit Cabanis und seiner Ehefrau Auguste Marie Charlotte geborenen Fahland, beide verstorben und beide zuletzt wohnhaft in Berlin, zu Friedrichshagen Friedrichstraße 103 am zwanzigsten Februar des Jarhes tausend neunhundert sechs Nachsmittags um zwölf ein halb Uhr verstorben sei. Die Anzeigende erklärte, von diesem Sterbefalle aus eigener Wissenschaft unterrichtet zu sein.

Vorgelesen, genehmigt und unterschrieben
Sara Frenzel geboren Cabanis.

Der Standesbeamte.
Zu Vertretung
Lange.

Thanks Laurent, :t: ... it was as I assumed (just wanted to be sure/safe).

Also (maybe) noteworthy (if nothing else, simply to put things right); is the (UK) Obituary in The Ibis XXXII (July, 1806, here), in which we're told:
JEAN LOUIS CABANIS, an Honorary Member of the Union, ... [ending with the phrase:] ... . Cabanis died after a short illness at his own residence, on the 20th of February last, at the age of ninety years and eleven months.
This Obituary (where his third Given name, "Bennoit", wasn't mentioned at all) was apparently based on information "sent to us by Herr Herman Schalow" [i.e. the one who wrote the Obituary/Memorial speech/Gedächtnisrede of Jean Cabanis in Journal für Ornithologie, where he was mentioned as "Jean Louis Cabanis" (only) in text, with the claim that he'd died: "... am 21. Februar"]?!? Something, clearly must have made Philip Lutley Sclater to change Schalow's "am 21 Februar" into "the 20th of February". But note that Sclater (for some unknown reason!?) wrote the Birth year of Cabanis as "1815"(!) contrary to Schalow's "1816" [the latter all in line with what's told in (Neue) Deutsche Biographie, German Wiki, etc., etc.]... !? Which, of course, caused Sclater's (apparently erroneous) conclusion above, regarding the final age of Cabanis.

Also see the (US) Obituary notice, in The Auk, vol. XXIII (No.2, April 1906), in "Notes and News", probably written be either the Editor J. A. Allen, or F. A. Chapman. (here). Cabanis was/is also listed on p. xxxi, in the List of "Deceased Members" (here), as:
CABANIS, JEAN .................................... Feb. 20, 1906.

This far, I will use the latter Death date (either; ... at the age of 89, alt. in his 90th year, or; just about two weeks short of his 90th Birthday).

Serenity rules! Or?

Björn

As it took me some time to figure out a couple of words, here is a complete transcription of the death certificate, as to avoid that someone else might have to repeat the work. I think it's more or less correct -- but maybe Martin can check it to be sure ?

I am impressed that you could decrypt the Enigma ;) Especially the "Gretchenfrage" from Goethes Faust was a real mystery to me. I read it as mannigfaltiger (or similar) which of course make no sense and not at all as evangelischer.

Last edited:
Rounding off ...

Here's one more (last?) post, regarding Fräulein/Miss Cabanis (alt., from 1878; Frau/Mrs Reichenow), and the maria hybrid (dealt with in post #4-12). See:

Koch, A. 2018. Discovery of a rare hybrid specimen known as Maria’s bird of paradise at the Staatliches Naturhistorisches Museum in Braunschweig. Zoosystematics and Evolution 94 (2): 315-324 (here):
In 1894, Anton Reichenow (1847–1941), then ornithologist and deputy director of the Museum für Naturkunde (= Museum of Natural History) in Berlin, described another new species, P. maria, based on a single male specimen from the Finisterre Mountain Range of the Huon Peninsula in north–eastern New Guinea, dedicating the species epithet to his wife Maria ...
... with several nice Plates and Photos!

Though; if the name of Reichenow's wife (alt. Cabanis eldest Daughter), was Olympie Charlotte Marie (1856–1940), and such seems to be the case, wouldn't "Marie's Bird of Paradise" be a more proper denomination for this bird/hybrid?

Simply as maria seems to be nothing but the Latin/latinized version of her true given name.

However; enjoy!

Björn

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Frau Reichenow's Bird-of-Paradise Paradisaea maria Reichenow, 1894 NCR [Hybrid: Paradisaea raggiana x Paradisaea guilielmi]
Maria Reichenow née Cabanis (DNF) was the wife of the describer, Anton Reichenow (q.v.) and daughter of Jean Cabanis (q.v.).

So we know from Laurent post # 4:

Olympie Charlotte Marie CABANIS, born 15.07.1856 in Berlin. But when did she die?

Olympie Charlotte Marie Reichenow
MotherEmilie August Olympie Ainaldi
FatherJean Louis Cabanis
Birth15. Jul 1856 (15 Jul 1856)
Death25. Dez 1940 (25 Dec 1940)

Death cetificate attached

Attachments

• 43774_332^5^^9910-00267.jpg
    43774_332^5^^9910-00267.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back