• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod head? (2 Viewers)

graham catley

looking at buying a Gitzo monopod for a bit of lightweight support for my 20D and 300f4 --anyone have any recommendations what head would be best for a Carbon Fibre monopod

graham catley said:
looking at buying a Gitzo monopod for a bit of lightweight support for my 20D and 300f4 --anyone have any recommendations what head would be best for a Carbon Fibre monopod

How about the Manfrotto 701RC2, or something heavier, the 501?

Hi Graham,

I favour the Manfrotto 222 - a pistol grip head with a quick release plate together with the Manfrotto shoulder brace. A wonderful stable combination that gives me extra height (at 6'3" i have had to stoop using some monopods).

A few friends using monopods have bought the shoulder brace after trying mine as it does make a big difference to counteracting shake / wobble plus it is fully adjustable for reach

I have the same head on my tripod as I find i can get onto birds much quicker with this system.

I think Karl makes a strong argument here - I gave up on using a monopod a while ago, but the shoulder brace does make a massive difference to stability, and would be an essential for me if I decided to go down this route again.

Just want to mention that the standard Manfrotto head for its monopods is the 3229. It's simple, sturdy, and does the job.

Ive just started using a Manfrotto mini ball head(484RC2) on my manfrotto monopod and find it a great improvment over just the monopod on its own. About £40.

Corvus Corax said:
Hi Graham,

I favour the Manfrotto 222 - a pistol grip head with a quick release plate together with the Manfrotto shoulder brace. A wonderful stable combination that gives me extra height (at 6'3" i have had to stoop using some monopods).

A few friends using monopods have bought the shoulder brace after trying mine as it does make a big difference to counteracting shake / wobble plus it is fully adjustable for reach

I have the same head on my tripod as I find i can get onto birds much quicker with this system.

Karl

How much is this set up, all in? At 6 foot 3 I am tempted.

Corvus Corax said:
Hi Graham,

I favour the Manfrotto 222 - a pistol grip head with a quick release plate together with the Manfrotto shoulder brace.

Thank you Karl for your suggestions. I think some basic advice on monopod/head choice should deserve a sticky thread ...

Since I use a Manfrotto 676B (154cm; 4.5 kg max) on my 350D+Tamron200-500 (540+1237g) I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a quick release head, maybe a 234RC: will it be enough or should I look for something stronger?

2. how does a shoulder brace work? Do you refer to something similar to the Manfrotto 361? Never seen (used) one ... :(

Further suggestions will be warmly welcome ....
Thank you,
Max

Last edited:
Hi Max,

The 222 is a quick release head taking the good old 200PL plate (I think this is probably the most widely used one).

I have mentioned on other threads about this head that I regularly use it with a 20D and 600mm f4 combo (and I know that exceeds it's datat specs but I have never had a failure).

I have (hopefully) attached a picture of the shoulder brace - it screws on top of the monopod and then the head screws on top of the brace. It is adjustable for length to fit the shoulder and rotates about the monopod head on a collar.

Hope this helps

To JCL - sorry for the huge delay in reply, but at current e-bay prices the monopod & 222 average about £80 for the pair and the 361 is £15 new at Warehouse Express.

Attachments

• 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 245
The 222 is a quick release head taking the good old 200PL plate (I think this is probably the most widely used one).

I've been looking at the 234RC head, simply because it takes the 200PL plate and would therefore be compatible with my 701RC tripod head
The 234 head is regularly on eBay at £22 plus postage new.

... now I'm thinking about the 222 as an alternative!

If you are thinking about the 222 also look at the 322 - this can be used either straight up (like the 222) or with the grip to one side, it also seem to be cheaper than the 222.

Just had a look at the 322 and it is really nice.

I think I would definitely give one a go if I had never purchased my 222's - the bonus of horizontal AND vertical mounting are a big selling point.

Maybe something for my Santa list . . . . . . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back