• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moorhall Lane Marsh (1 Viewer)

midlands birder

hi everybody
im sure nobody on here knows anything about this site so here goes. it is a wet( more like a lake/marsh) area of woodland on the banks of the river severn at stourport just up from the town centre, it has been an area of my local patch for years and only recently has it been designated a nature reserve. on my blog at first i was always bricking the place but now i an starting to think it may be a good area.since the woodland was filled with water, i have seen 6 snipe including 1 jack around the lickhill area of stourport, i think as a direct result of the marsh, a few islands have started to form and there is already a healthy population of tusock's.
a small patch of pythagamities exists and this held a singing(sub song) reed warbler last autum.
i hope for these phthags to spread out and create a reedbed for species like water rail,snipe and ultimatly maybe even a bittern(the recent hurcott pool bittern got me started on this idea)
and with the river being no less than 100m from the marsh it could hold migrants. photos of the site to follow......

i am going to try and contact wyre forest council about their plans to improve the site, and hopefully they might take my idea for a reedbed into consideration.

THE SITE IS HERE
i'll tell you one thing, this place holds potentiol, only if the council uses it the right way..........
MB

Last edited:
here is the only pic of the marsh i have, its of the west end withe the small patch of pythags that held the reed warbler, you can see the water is quite high.....
MB
SDC10938.JPG

Hi MB
The habitat is almost like fen a wet woodland there should be plenty of insect food which will make it good for passing insectivorous species warbler flycatchers (I predict a Pied Fly this spring)
your place also looks good for wintering woodcock. I'm sure if you work it hard in the spring you will pick some good stuff up.
Don't forget Upton though, Tim's pushing your Upton list and he is doing a year list aswell.

cheers John

Last edited:
Hi MB
The habitat is almost like fen a wet woodland there should be plenty of insect food which will make it good for passing insectivorous species warbler flycatchers (I predict a Pied Fly this spring)
your place also looks good for wintering woodcock. I'm sure if you work it hard in the spring you will pick some good stuff up.
Don't forget Upton though, Tim's pushing your Upton list and he is doing a year list aswell.

cheers John

havent even got to upton this year so far:-C
still trying to push my dad to take me(he just hasent been bothered) and ive been busy with my exams so wanting to stay local.

i like your thinking johno:D pied fly would be a nice patch bird, as for woodcock and snipe, anybody fancy running through a marshy area about 100 metres from the marsh, have seen lesser woodpecker in both blocks of woodland..
will be nice testing my new scope around the patch this weekend though.....:t:
MB

hey guys and gals
a load of habitat shots for you here
SDC10955.JPG

SDC10960.JPG

SDC10957.JPG

SDC10959.JPG

SDC10968.JPG

hope this gives some idea on how the marsh looks

went out on 24/01 at dusk looking for owls on lickhill, i walked to a field and witnessed 326 MALLARD fly into the marsh to roost and 3 teal(only the 2nd site record), will hopefully follow this up and see if roosting is a regular occurance there:t:
MB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back