• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most Common First Bird of 2007? (1 Viewer)

Heard, Robin. Seen, Carrion Crow.

Terry, Starlings must be doing better as invaders there than they are back home here. House SParrow and Starling are 75 and 74 on my 2007 year-list respectively.

Graham

European Starling.
New Jersey USA
HOSP usually gets the award , neither one do I care for and have made nesting Bluebirds extinct in my area.

bitterntwisted said:
Terry, Starlings must be doing better as invaders there than they are back home here. House SParrow and Starling are 75 and 74 on my 2007 year-list respectively.

Starlings and House Sparrows have exploited their new continent to an unbelievable level.

Every parking lot and every power line has a dozen or more Starlings and House Sparrows.

Drop a french fry (a "chip") out the window and you are likely to see a Starling swoop down and suck it up.

I was about to end this reply, but I can't help but kick myself in the butt for not being more active this year - you are already up to 75 year ticks!

My 2007 list is still 0 ! Started off trying to avoid common species hoping to start the year with an Owl on my car journey to work (failed to see an Owl, but saw a distant gull which I almost sub-consciously identified as Black Headed, but managed to avert my eyes just in time!).
Since then, I'm in an office throughout the daylight hours.

5 days in and I'm starting to get a bit worried now!! ;)

I have a flock of 30+ chaffe's with 20+ greene's with a couple of goldies and linnets feeding in my garden daily. Which is supprising considering how mild it is, it must be the wet pulling them in.

Looks like the Blackbird has it as of "Reply 90" in the UK, unless there are late flurrys! The European Starling joins the Northern Cardinal in the USA. Thanks for inputs everyone, keep them coming. Thanks also for inputs from USA, France,Turkey, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Slovenia.

Is that it, any more replies?

UK

1.Blackbird-----------------------10
2.Blue Tit -------------------------7
3.Starling -------------------------5
3.Woodpigeon---------------------5
5.Chaffinch------------------------4
5.Great Tit------------------------4
5.Robin---------------------------4
8.Collard Dove---------------------3
8.Jackdaw-------------------------3
8.Magpie --------------------------3
8.Rook-----------------------------3
12.Black Headed Gull---------------2
12.Carrion Crow--------------------2
12.Herring Gull----------------------2
12.House Sparrow------------------2
16.Common Buzzard----------------1
16.Dunnock------------------------1
16.Lapwing------------------------1
16.Lesser Black Backed Gull---------1
16.Kestrel-------------------------1
16.Pied Wagtail--------------------1
16.Redwing------------------------1
16.Song Thrush--------------------1
16.Stonechat----------------------1

Total 70

France

1.Nuthatch

USA

1.European Starling-----------------2
1.Northern Cardinal ----------------2
3.Canada Goose--------------------1
3.Hairy Woodpecker----------------1
3.House Sparrow-------------------1
3.Mourning Dove-------------------1
3.Song Sparrow--------------------1
3.Yellow Rumped Warbler-----------1

Turkey

1.Blue Rock Thrush

Canada

1.Black-Capped Chickadee
1.Dark-Eyed-Junco

New Zealand

1.Sivereye

Germany

1.Jay

Slovenia

1.Feral Pigeon

I just saw this thread...an excellent idea! Where are all the Canadians on the board????

Anyway, my first bird of '07 was an American Crow.

My first bird of 2007 was Common Redshank, seen at 01:04 hrs 01 Jan while not enjoying my night shift. Tomorrow will be my first chance of '07 to get any birding done, at last!

Hoary Redpoll. There were no doubt some Ravens and House Sparrows but I only count them if I'm really desperate.
Rhonda

Rhonda said:
Hoary Redpoll. There were no doubt some Ravens and House Sparrows but I only count them if I'm really desperate.
Rhonda
I'm sure there are a lot of people that will envy your first bird of the year. I havn't even seen common redpolls yet this year.

Scott

green throated carib on my hummingbird feeder. May have seen pelican off the beach just after midnight but I cannae remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back