• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My quest for the 'perfect' bin: Trinovid BN over FL's (1 Viewer)

Swissboy said:
I fully agree with your conclusion about Zeiss' poor quality control. I wonder whether both samples were early production ones. I remember a similar noticeable problem in our first Victory I 10x40; definitely rather early production, though not that early as to belonging into the group that was prone to lose the focus knob! And as posted above, my present FL 8x42 also has a trace of a finger print, though not affecting the view as it is way on the side.

As for your comparison: Have you ever looked at the FL 8x32? That is a really neat, small yet very bright and contrasty model. But then, priced about like the larger FLs. And the Trinovids are still great, particularly the 8x32, as it is not as bulky as the more brick like larger models.

The FLs that I looked at recently were early production, but the pair that I bought and returned in Sept. were probably not, given the volume of sales that Eagle Optics does.

Yes, I briefly tried the FL 8x32s, but price and my perception of durability nixed that choice (primarily the first). And, yes, I also agree that the x42 trinovids are a handful! Along this line, I was seriously tempted by the ultravids because of their relatively compact design, but I wasn't completely taken by the ergo's (some that I tried had a very slick feel to the armour) and I was definitely not taken by the price. high quality bins + high quality scope vs. high quality bins was an easy choice B :)

The problem with shops like Eagle Optics that accept returns is that the pair you buy may have been rejected prior to you - and maybe many times. The shop keeps selling them until a 'sucker' buyer keeps them.

This is usually not for gross problems like optically visible dust etc. but for other more subtle defects that only discerning buyers even bother to test for.

This is especially true for photographic lenses and shops who allow returns - the chance of getting a dud are higher than if you get a random one off the shelf as rejected samples still need to be sold.

It's a two edged sword - so keep it in mind when buying from shops with such policies.

Regards.

zuiko said:
The problem with shops like Eagle Optics that accept returns is that the pair you buy may have been rejected prior to you - and maybe many times. The shop keeps selling them until a 'sucker' buyer keeps them.

This is usually not for gross problems like optically visible dust etc. but for other more subtle defects that only discerning buyers even bother to test for.

This is especially true for photographic lenses and shops who allow returns - the chance of getting a dud are higher than if you get a random one off the shelf as rejected samples still need to be sold.

It's a two edged sword - so keep it in mind when buying from shops with such policies.

Regards.

Ummm.....yeah..., you're much more likely to be happy purchasing from shops with that have NO RETURNS policies.

Bill Atwood said:
Ummm.....yeah..., you're much more likely to be happy purchasing from shops with that have NO RETURNS policies.

You're twisting the sense of what I said. A good retailer should have a return policy but things like selling two pairs and acepting one pair back etc. means that some people are going to be buying stuff which is not exactly brand new. That's a problem for me, it may not be for you.

The real problem is that this no questions asked return policy tends to concentrate sub-standard stuff for sale which eventually finds a home with someone who is unsuspecting or unaware.

It's much better for sub standard stuff to be sent back to the manufacturer for making amends. Where a fingerprint or dust particle exists then the retailer might well do this and give you a replacement pair - but for more subtle issues the retailer would just sell it to the next person.

Swissboy said:
And as posted above, my present FL 8x42 also has a trace of a finger print, though not affecting the view as it is way on the side.

Well after reading about the finger prints I decided to check my binoculars a 10x42 FL.

To my great surprise and chagrin the left tube's prism has not one but two fingerprints! One that extends 40-50% into the prism and the other on the other side perhaps 10%.

Maybe there's some joker in the assembly line who's trying to leave a signature within the "time capsule" of the sealed tube.

Will return these for a replacement but am disappointed since they were so good otherwise.

Make that 3 pairs which have this problem.

Last edited:
zuiko said:
It's much better for sub standard stuff to be sent back to the manufacturer for making amends. Where a fingerprint or dust particle exists then the retailer might well do this and give you a replacement pair - but for more subtle issues the retailer would just sell it to the next person.

How do you know EO doesn't do that? Also, some products are going to be returned that have nothing wrong with them: buyer's remorse, spouse problems ("You spent $1700 on what?"), just plain didn't like it, etc. BTW, I read your comment the same way Bill did.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back