• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names lacking in the Key (3 Viewers)

In volume IX of General Zoology, the engraved title page and the plain title page of Part I both say 1815. The "doubt" appears to stem from the fact that, for Part II, while the engraved title page says 1815 as well, the plain title page says 1816. However, the Code is quite clear that "The date of publication specified in a work is to be adopted as correct in the absence of evidence to the contrary." As the date specified (twice !) for Part I is 1815, we cannot reject this date without a (quite) good reason, and I cannot identify such a reason for now. (A simple failure to confirm this date based on external info would not qualify.)

Vieillot's Analyse was announced as published in Bibliographie de la France on 20 Apr 1816 [here]. (This is a quite important date, as it gives precedence to Analyse over all of Vieillot's contributions to the Nouveau dictionnaire d'histoire naturelle, the first three volume of which were announced on 14 Sep of the same year [here].)

(Re. Opaethus / Opoethus: Should Vieillot 1816 be deemed before Stephens, my understanding is that we'd need a First Reviser, because Vieillot used both spellings, and the choice of oe over ae to render a Greek αι is a matter of latinization which cannot be deemed an inadvertent error. Under the current rules, the FR would probably be Vieillot 1818 [here], who used Opoethus, which would make the Key's treatment correct.)

That being said, we indeed seem to have some real (historical) problems with the relative precedence of these two works, as
  • we use Phaenicophaeus Stephens 1815 [here], not Phoenicophaus Vieillot 1816 [here] (for which Vieillot claimed the authorship in 1817 [here]);
  • we use Indicator Stephens 1815 [here], without attributing it to Vieillot 1816, who used it as well [here] (and claimed the authorship in 1817 [here]);
BUT
  • we use Monasa Vieillot 1816 [here], not Monadon 'Vieillot' Stephens 1815 [here], despite the two names are synonyms. (Monadon is arguably proposed in synonymy here, though -- the name adopted by Stephens for this bird was Bucco; if so, and if nobody adopted it subsequently (and before 1961) as a valid name (*), it is unavailable under the present Code.)

(*) Nobody seems to have used it, so far as I can find. (Perhaps in part thanks to Richmond 1908 who, when he unearthed the name, gave its etymology as "μόνος, single; ὀδών, a tooth", making it identical to that of Monodon Linnaeus 1758, the genus name of the narwhal. To many, back then, this would have made the name preoccupied.)

Last edited:
Note that Stephens writes. "Monsieur Viellot, in his paper to the Linnean Society, proposes it as a genus by the name Monadon", though (apparently) as such is was never published. See the Richmond card itself for "Monadon", here, with a reference to Newton, 1893-1896 (here).

Doesn't this indicate that Stephens (simply, only) had seen, or read, a draft/MS version of Viellot 's paper (later known as Analyse ... , where the intended generic name "Monadon" was changed into Monasa) ... ?

/B
--

Last edited:
Doesn't this indicate that Stephens (simply, only) had seen, or read, a draft/MS version of Viellot 's paper (later known as Analyse ... , where the generic name "Monadon" was changed into Monasa) ... ?
Yes, this seems to have been what happened.
This is presumably also the explanation of the other 'Vieillotian' names introduced by Stephens in 1815 (Phaenicophaeus, Indicator, and Opaethus), before they were published by Vieillot himself.

Last edited:
Etymology. The genus name honors Daniel Giraud Elliot for his important early contributions to clarifying the generic taxonomy of the hummingbirds. To this eponym, we add the suffix “myia” (Greek for “fly”), which has been used several times elsewhere to denote the small size of the hummingbirds.
(With thanks to Le Nomenclatoriste.)

In the line of Gouldomyia, Derbyomyia, Juliamyia, thus.

Last edited:
culacissi

Psittacula culacissi Wagler 1832. [OD].
(Syn. Loriculus philippensis (Statius Müller 1776). Wagler did not explain, but this seems to be a latinization of a local name reported in the French literature, "Coulacissi" -- i.a. Brisson 1760 [here], Salerne 1767 [here], Buffon 1783 [here].
The name was adopted by Finsch in 1868 [here], because he regarded the earlier descriptions, to the exception of Brisson's, as inadequate.)

Edit - Related to (may be a variant of ?) Psittacula coulaci Lesson 1830, which is in the Key.

Last edited:
Well spotted Laurent, ... though I cannot find any indication that Wagler (1832) considered "Ps. [Psittacula] Culacissi" as new.

Compare with Lesson's "PSITTACULE COULACISSI; Psittacula coulaci" (1830), here.

Or did Wagler describe another, different bird?

To me (in my non-Latin mind) Wagler's version seems to be yet another "incorrect subsequent spelling" (and if so, as such, it shouldn't be included in the Key), alt. a somewhat literal latinization of the French name used by Lesson (but without the o) ...

For what it's worth ...

/B

Stelidopterus Gloger 1841

Name : Stelidopterus
Authority : Gloger
Year : 1841
OD ref : Gloger CWL. 1842. Gemeinnütziges Hand- und Hilfsbuch der Naturgeschichte. Für gebildete Leser aller Stände, besonders für die reifere Jugend und ihre Lehrer. Erster Band, enthaltend die erste hälfte des Naturgeschichte der Thiere nebst erfahrungsmäßigen Andeutungen über den gegenwärtigen Zustand und Erfolg des Unterrichts in dieser Wissenschaft namentlich auf Gymnasien und Vorschlägen über fernere Einrichtung desselben im Verhältnisse zu seinem wirklichen Zwecke. Aug. Schulz & Comp., Breslau.
Page : 355
OD link https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13515665
Included nominal species : Caprimulgus longipennis
Type species : Caprimulgus longipennis Shaw 1796
Type species valid syn.: the name is in use.
Fixation by : monotypy
Fixation ref : as OD
Page : as OD
Fixation link : as OD
Type OD ref : Shaw G. [1796-1797]. Vivarium naturae, sive rerum naturalium, variae et vividae icones, as ipsam naturam, depictae et descriptae. Fasciculum octavum. The naturalist's miscellany, or coloured figures of natural objects, drawn and described immediately from nature. Eighth volume. Nodder et al., London.
Page : text to pl. 265
Type OD link : https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40318800
Notes :
ICZN : n/a
Available : yes
Family : Caprimulgidae​
Var. Stelidopteryx (in Gray 1869 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/8390967 ).
This is now a synonym of Caprimulgus, and a junior, near-objective synonym of Macrodipteryx Swainson 1835. (The nominal type species of the two name -- Caprimulgus longipennis Shaw 1796 and Macrodipteryx africanus Swainson 1835, respectively -- are subjective synonyms.)

(I'm not fully clear how the word was formed, though. In Greek, στελίς, -ίδος is the mistletoe, but I don't see any relation with this bird. I suspect the first component is rather to be related to στελεά, a haft or shaft, but if so I'm unclear where he got the central -do-. The final part is of course πτέρυξ, a wing, with a latinized ending.)

Stelidopterus. Well found, Laurent. I think the epithet is derived from στελγις stelgis, στελγιδος stelgidos strigil, scraper, and relates to the wing-standards (cf. Stelgidillas, Stelgidocichla, Stelgidopteryx, Stelgidostomus). Key entry to follow, suitably acknowledged.

Last edited:
Stelidoptĕrus

Once again a somewhat fumbling attempt (in my Non-classical/Greek/Latin capacity), thereby treading carefully, like on thin ice, on yet another pure linguistic topic ... ;)

But (bear with me, I simply have to ask) ...was "Stelidoptĕrus" Gloger 1841 really meant as (Generic) Scientific name?

Either way, even if so, regarding the meaning of it; what is the sense of the (German) word "Segelfittigs"(?), written just before the parenthesis/brackets with "Stelidoptĕrus ..." ? Couldn't the latter have something to do with/originate in a (possibly Greek) word for Segel, the German [and Swedish] word for sail (as in the wings of a Ship) + Stelido (whatever it means), or vice versa Stelido (as of here?) + -pteros -wings, winged ... ?

And; note that there are several other taxa with similar names; stelidotoides, Stelidomorpha, and Stelidota (here here and here, all three in Insecta), as well as stelidostachya (here, in Plantae), etc., etc.. To me it looks like s/Stelido-) does have a meaning of its own (not necerssarily related to stelgis/stelgidos) ... or?

Björn

PS. Richmond (here, p.568). Stelgidopteryx BAIRD 1858 (here).
-

Last edited:
Either way, even if so, regarding the meaning of it; what is the sense of the (German) word "Segelfittigs"(?), written just before the parenthesis/brackets with "Stelidoptĕrus ..." ? Couldn't the latter have something to do with/originate in a (possibly Greek) word for Segel, the German [and Swedish] word for sail (as in the wings of a Ship) + Stelido (whatever it means), or vice versa Stelido (as of here?) + -pteros -wings, winged ... ?
Vice versa.
Segel is a sail, Fittich ("schlecht geschr. fittig") is a wing.
If the German name reflects the meaning of Stelidopterus, Stelido- should indeed in principle mean "sail-".

(Names used in a similar way in this book are certainly generic -- either already established generic names, or new ones. Some of the new ones are in use.)

Björn,
Stelidopterus is in keeping with Gloger's numerous generic coinages. Gloger's Segelfittigs means 'sail wings' (the modern equivalent would be Segelfittiche), and refers to the wing-standards of the Standard-winged Nightjar, which he compares to the tail racquets of the racquet-tailed drongos ("... Schwanzfeder des Drongo's von Malabar"). The origin of the name, as originally mentioned by Laurent, could be Gr. στελεα stelea shaft, as Gloger also refers to the long shaft of the standard or pennant. I will add that to the Key entry.
PS Just seen Laurent's #212 ( I shouldn't take so long carefully composing my entries/replies!)

Stelidoptĕrus

Fair enough, I guess it wasn't all useless ...

• The beetle/s Stelidota ERICHSON 1843 (here), all in German, which lead to the resembling (-oides) version (Lasiodctylus/Lordites) stelidotoides OLLIFF 1883 (here, OD on p.99).

• The Orchid "Microstylis stelidostachya" H. G. REICHENBACH 1881 (here).

Any similarities to Gloger's bird/name?

/B

PS. But I couldn't find the Bee (sub-genus) Stelidomorpha MORAWITZ 1875 (in Izvestiya imp. Obshch. Ljubit. Estestvozn. Anthropol. Ethnogr, vol. 19, p. 131).

In [this], which is a part of a 'book' explaining terms related to orchids (see [here] for the rest; I'm not clear it ever was a 'book' in the physical sense of the term, though), names in stelid- are generally explained as "stele: pillar; column + like +" [something]. I.e., στήλη (a block of stone, typically upright, possibly with writings on it) + -ειδής (-like -- also -looking, -shaped, etc.), united to form a hypothetical adjective στήλειδής, "pillar-like", which is in principle latinizable into stelīdis.

There is nothing particularly "upright" in the nightjar's wings, thus στήλη seems an unlikely source for Stelidopterus. But στελεά + -ειδής might probably produce the same latinized stem...?

Last edited:
While I (in vain) tried to locate the (non-existing, but) at that point plausible (species) "S. Tanagroïdes" (in thread The specific name tanagroides, here), possibly coined by Bonaparte, I happened to stumble upon:

dalhousiei as in:
• the (invalid) Dalhousie's Owl Strix Dalhousiei BROWN 1835 (here), in Illustrations of the American ornithology of Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte: with the addition of numerous recently discovered species ... , a name/version not included in today's Key ... which must be (mustn't it?) an earlier version of S. [Strix] Dalhousiana, here, from 1837 (by McGillivray?: "named in honour of Lady Dalhousie, who ..."). Note that it was written "S. Dalhousiei" on the Plate (No. 8, fig.3) here, in the 1837 work, left corner of plate, tiny print [either way; still a synonym of today's Northern Saw-whet Owl Aegolius acadicus (Gmelin, JF, 1788)].

Sherborn here.

Thereby; shouldn't Dalhousiana be considered as an incorrect subsequent spelling? Alt. an unjustified alteration?

However, enjoy!

Björn

PS. On the same page (first link) are also two typos/printers error alt. incorrect subsequent spellings of:
• Maryland Yellow Throat Sylvia Marylandia (which, most likely, refer to Bechstein's "Motacilla seu Silvia marylandica" 1798 (here)
• Roscoe's Yellow Throat Sylvia Rosco, ditto for Audubon's "Sylvia Roscoe" (OD, in Folio 1827, unseen by me), but listed all over, in the -oe version.

PPS. Simply for completeness sake; the only other bird/name (that I know of) aimed at the same dedicatee: the Long-tailed Broadbill Psarisomus dalhousiae JAMESON 1835 (here), as [Eurylaimus] "Dalhousiæ", commemorating the same Lady, the "Countess of Dalhousie".

Last edited:
Björn,
Thanks for Brown on Wilson & Bonaparte 1835. It is full of misspelled names which I can gradually add to the Key (currently very slowly working my way through the terminations -oides).

Last edited:
PS. On the same page (first link) are also two typos/printers error alt. incorrect subsequent spellings of:
There is more.

Larus tetradactylus (syn. Rissa tridactyla pollicaris ?) -- the plate clearly shows a hind toe, so I doubt this is a mere error; the hind toe is generally less reduced in pollicaris than in nominate tridactyla.
On the third index page: Anser Edwardii (a blue Anser caerulescens ? -- not sure) is not in the Richmond Index and I find no reference to it in the Key.

(I did not check everything -- no time now --, so there might be others. Most likely to be found among the name preceded by an asterisk.)

Note that this work, although presented as illustrating Wilson & Bonaparte's "American ornithology", is by Thomas Brown.

Last edited:
On the third index page: Anser Edwardii (a blue Anser caerulescens ? -- not sure) is not in the Richmond Index and I find no reference to it in the Key.
= syn. Anser caerulescens, ex "Blue-winged Goose" of George Edwards 1750 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/50196341
(Brown used the same English name + his plate https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/44104777 is obviously copied from Edwards'.)

Edwards' plate was cited by Linnaeus https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/727029 in the OD of Anas caerulescens, and a copy of this plate necessarily shows the same bird. As a consequence, the bird shown on Brown's plate is actually a type specimen of Anas caerulescens Linnaeus 1758 (in addition to being a type of Anser edwardii Brown 1835).

PS -- I found Anas barrovii which I had listed in error in my previous post, thus I deleted it there.

Last edited:
Rhinostrix Kaup 1848

Kaup JJ. 1848. Uebersicht der Eulen (Strigidae). Isis (Oken), Jahrgang 1848: 753-774.; col. 770; https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13256492
As a subgenus of Otus; included nominal species: Otus americanus (Gm.) (syn. mexicana Gm., clamator Vieill., longirostris Spix, maculosa Wied) and O. madagascariensis Smith.
Gray 1855:10 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/17136630 designated Strix americana Gmelin as the type.

(This is an early version of what he later called Rhinoptynx. Rhinoptynx Kaup 1851 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13706608 replaced Rhinostrix as the third subgenus of Otus in Kaup's system. Included species in 1851: "Otus mexicanus Cuvier" and Otus madagascariensis Smith. Otus mexicanus, in Cuvier 1829 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/33374183 (footnote #2), was: "Str. mexicana, Gm. ou Str. clamator, Vieill. Am., 20 ou Str. longirostris, Spix. IX"; these three names being all cited by Kaup as synonyms of Otus americanus in 1848.)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back