• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need identification with wild hatchling (1 Viewer)

Thomas Bombadil

United States
Hello all,

I just registered to this forum.

My mother found four small eggs the other day, two of which were broken. They were almost Fully developed and the other two were unbroken.
She brought them to me because I have an incubator I use for raising chickens.

One has just hatched. I have a wildlife rescue close by which I've contacted.

In the meantime, I would like to identify the species if I could. To help me better care for it.

There are some pictures below.

The eggs are smaller than a thumbnail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: The nest is just something I had in my garage. It is not indicative of the species.
Any idea what the species may be?

Attachments

• Baby Bird 1.jpeg
    Baby Bird 1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Baby Bird 2.jpeg
    Baby Bird 2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Baby Bird 3.jpeg
    Baby Bird 3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Hi, Welcome to Birdforum.
In this kind of threads it's always important to include the place, at least approximately, to narrow down the possibilities, given this is an international forum.
Assuming this is somewhere in the USA, I suspect the hatchling may be a Brown-headed Cowbird, a parasite species (the more densely spotted eggshell may belong to this species, which is also a sightly larger egg); the paler blue, smaller egg, would belong to the host species. Surely someone else will confirm or dismiss what I just wrote. Good luck!

Hi, Welcome to Birdforum.
In this kind of threads it's always important to include the place, at least approximately, to narrow down the possibilities, given this is an international forum.
Assuming this is somewhere in the USA, I suspect the hatchling may be a Brown-headed Cowbird, a parasite species (the more densely spotted eggshell may belong to this species, which is also a sightly larger egg); the paler blue, smaller egg, would belong to the host species. Surely someone else will confirm or dismiss what I just wrote. Good luck!
Very interesting information - thank you.

Yes, my apologies. This was found near mixed forest in Northern Illinois - just two days ago.
Also - I finely chopped up a boiled egg for nutrients. It accepted this hardily.

Hi Thomas and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Have the rescue centre been able to assist you at all? Meanwhile I've moved your post to our ID forum as they're better placed to be able to help you.

We do have some general guidelines for the care of injured and baby birds: here for the care of injured and baby birds and I hope you find this useful.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back