• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Activity (1 Viewer)

WelshWarbler

Welsh Warbler
We have a Great Tit roosting in our nestbox. Today she has started bringing in moss and grass. I thought the cold weather might have delayed nest building for a week or two.

I'm hoping she will complete the nest and raise a brood but there's a long way to go!

Anybody else seeing activity in their nest boxes?

A late answer, but any way.

Yes, here in Norway the Great tit har made it's nest, but I don't know if they have laid any eggs yet. 01.05.13

Last edited:
I went to take pics of the swift boxes I put up and found this activity.

It looks like the swifts will lose out but I dont mind as there has been a decline in house sparrow numbers aswell so two active nesting sites can only be beneficial.

Regards Gerard.

Attachments

• DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0077.JPG
    DSC_0077.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 40
Sods law,there are five swifts currently flying above my house. However there is no room at the inn with the house sparrows being resident.

Better luck next year I suppose.

regards Gerard.

The House sparrows fledged a couple of days ago and I counted six young. That was a good brood. I'll keep my eye on the boxes to see if the house sparrows breed again.
Next doors Starling nest also fledged with four young.
A friend showed me their mailbox where the great tits are nesting for the second year in a row. They also have blue tits, house sparrows,blackbird and dunnock nesting in their garden.

Regards Gerard.

Our Great Tits had a clutch of 11 eggs and 9 chicks left the nest box a couple of weeks ago. They have decided to raise a second brood and female is currently sitting on 6 eggs. Fingers crossed for another successful outcome. We also had blue tits nesting in a discarded nest box that I put by the side of our shed only a couple of feet off the ground! 9 eggs laid and 6 youngsters fledged over the weekend. A blackbird raised 3 chicks in a nest in some honeysuckle. They tried a second brood but unfortunately a Magpie predated the 5 chicks a couple of days ago. Although Spring was late coming it's certainly been the most eventful year we've had for birds nesting in our garden!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back