• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ATC/ STC 17-40x56 Telescope (3 Viewers)

You just shouldn't be able to unscrew a scope from a tripod plate without touching the tripod plate, might as well just have a screw sticking out the bottom of the scope.

I've also used it hand held (using local support for elbow or hand) and it works quite well (as designed).
As for forcibly unscrewing it from the plate: I have a quick release plate, that works well. The original Sirui plate is 60-ish + mm long and does not disturb hand-held ops. And works with a (car) window clamp as well.
A "screw sticking out the bottom of the scope" would not, I think, be practical. The "half-sleeve" is, though.
I've hardly used my three other scopes after getting the ATC (the fourth one is a 6" reflector and doesn't count).
Per

This topic has been discussed several times in this thread. I don't like the foot AT ALL. I believe the design of the tripod foot is, to put it bluntly, idiotic. How anyone can design a tripod foot nowadays WITHOUT a safety pin is beyond me.

Search for "ATC+foot". There's plenty of information on this thread. BTW, the first thing I'd do is use a 3/8'' screw and ditch the 1/4'' to 3/8'' adapter. Forget about cork and the like, it doesn't work. The only good combination is metal on metal. But that won't work here. I'd also use a tether. That's the second thing I'd do.

Hermann

Have you tried the ATC?

I never had any problems with a "rotating" ATC - just fix the screw properly.
And for my ATX85 I use the Gitzo GHF2W, the plate has also no "safety pin" - no problems whatsoever.

I've also used it hand held (using local support for elbow or hand) and it works quite well (as designed).
As for forcibly unscrewing it from the plate: I have a quick release plate, that works well. The original Sirui plate is 60-ish + mm long and does not disturb hand-held ops. And works with a (car) window clamp as well.
A "screw sticking out the bottom of the scope" would not, I think, be practical. The "half-sleeve" is, though.
I've hardly used my three other scopes after getting the ATC (the fourth one is a 6" reflector and doesn't count).
Per

Do you mind showing your ATC with the attached quick release plate on it?

Aha I like the orange colour!

So you are using the 1/4 thread with your plate...
The adapter is seen nested in the line to the sling.
The burnt orange colour led to a delay, rumour has it that Swaro mixed the first batch incorrectly and had to redo the colour mix.
I needed it to match my Curios 😂🤣

The adapter is seen nested in the line to the sling.
The burnt orange colour led to a delay, rumour has it that Swaro mixed the first batch incorrectly and had to redo the colour mix.
I needed it to match my Curios 😂🤣

The orange were really popular, so had to settled down with the green hehehe but that would be a great combo to used both orange for bino and scope plus orange shoes while birding! 😍🤤

IMG-20240226-WA0106-01-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back