• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New AX Visio 10x32 binocular (1 Viewer)

It's (as expected) an impressive piece of kit. It has an extensive users guide, and that needs reading iot use all the functions properly.
Brilliant optics (I'm not sure I know the details of EL and NL?) combined with a camera and controlled by computers. Impressive electronic compass and positioning. Camera is very good, both video and single frames come out well, and it communicates well with the phone.
The optics are true, no electronics in the optic path, and extremely good (with the limitations 32 mm gives).
Weight and handling likewise, they are easily handled and stable.
Heavy clouds and high humidity after the storm, apart from a flight of bramblings all I found was a couple of very suspicious crows ("he looked at us, run!") and a magpie with binophobia, so the birding evaluation must wait.
Happy so far.
Per

Last edited:
In case you find the Visio too expensive or too heavy, here is an β€žalternativeβ€œ ;)

In case you find the Visio too expensive or too heavy, here is an β€žalternativeβ€œ ;)

you'd have the photography and ID capability without any of the experience of not having to live in your phone, which is the whole point.

you'd have the photography and ID capability without any of the experience of not having to live in your phone, which is the whole point.
Or I could just digiscope through my ATC and use bird id on the phone. The phone has a compass. But I won'tπŸ₯³

Or I could just digiscope through my ATC and use bird id on the phone. The phone has a compass. But I won'tπŸ₯³

Yup. The whole point of the AXV isn't that it's a camera mounted to a binocular that you can get bird IDs from, it's that it's an unobtrusive device that lets you use it while you're focused on enjoying being outside. People seem to be missing this.

As far as I know, it uses GPS to get elevation, it has a compass to get direction of pointing and a clinometer to get angle of tilt. There is no range measuring or estimation.

Just had a brief hands-on at Leighton Moss.

For a 32mm they are enormous, and enormously heavy. I felt like I was on the bridge of a battleship.

The in-vision display makes you feel like the Terminator, especially in compass mode with all the changing numbers.

Didn't have much opportunity to test the ID function, was just in the doorway looking into the garden. There were a few dots in the tops of trees. I did try it on a metal, stylised Robin sculpture, the Visio IDed it as a...
...Hudsonian Godwit.

Just had a brief hands-on at Leighton Moss.

For a 32mm they are enormous, and enormously heavy. I felt like I was on the bridge of a battleship.

The in-vision display makes you feel like the Terminator, especially in compass mode with all the changing numbers.

Didn't have much opportunity to test the ID function, was just in the doorway looking into the garden. There were a few dots in the tops of trees. I did try it on a metal, stylised Robin sculpture, the Visio IDed it as a...
...Hudsonian Godwit.
By all means, a kilogram is massive. Helps keep it steady. And the 10x magnification does limit effective range, just as if...
you were using 10x binos, which you are.
And nobody is going to force you to buy one.
I like it, but a lot of testing is waiting for me. So far, happy.
Per
Oh yes, almost forgot: it identified one of my cats quite brilliantly (based on head only, but)...
as Mus musculus, so she is renamed Hausmaus. She's now in a bad mood.
A magpie was not renamed, though, so there is hope.

Yup. The whole point of the AXV isn't that it's a camera mounted to a binocular that you can get bird IDs from, it's that it's an unobtrusive device that lets you use it while you're focused on enjoying being outside. People seem to be missing this.
Not sure I 'get this' logic.... people are missing not having what?

...missing the whole point of the AXV, what it's for.
So this is what I am missing 'it's an unobtrusive device that lets you use it while you're focused on enjoying being outside. People seem to be missing this."? What exactly is an unobstrusive device....allowing me to focus on enjoyment? The ultimate unobtrusive device would be with the naked eyes.... a pair of regular binoculars would come second. But this AXV appears to me as a distraction as one fiddles with everything to capture pictures and ID's etc.... So no, unobtrusive? Not in my book

Users who are viewing this thread

Back