• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member (1 Viewer)

Hello!
I live in California. I joined this forum hoping to find new bird buddies.
I recently caught a sick dove to try and help it out. (A cat tried to catch and eat it, too.) I put it in a cage and it proceeded to head boink several times. Never had a bird, other than quail, do this.
The next day I got it out of the cage to give it water, but it got away from me and flew into my bathroom mirror, hard. Over the next 2 days it hit the mirror and ceiling 3 more times. On the 3rd day it couldn't keep it's body temperature up. I had it under a lamp and it was happy. I have ADHD. I told my room mate that I couldn't keep it warm that night. I took it to bed in a towel and covered it. I knew it needed warmth, but my "analysis paralysis" started. I never put it on my body for warmth that night, only kept it in a covered towel, and it died. I know these critters need warmth. I hate having ADHD!!! Totally my fault. I'm devastated! This happened so quickly I didn't have a chance to deal with this dove's illness. Looked like it had a healed gunshot wound that affected it's ability to eat/swallow seed. Thought it was canker. Nope. When I was burying it I really looked at the healed hole. Don't know how it lived as long as it did with this injury. It also had diarrhea and bright green poo. It was dead and the meds I ordered for it came a few hours later. I've been crying for 3 days now. I have a heating pad. I've used it to warm cages of other sick birds in the past. Sometimes I am so clear on how to help a bird and then there are stress filled times when my ADHD kicks in. I had fallen in love with this little dove, only to kill it. I'm so upset! 😭😭 Please, be kind with your responses. This was the first time trying to rehab a dove. I have pigeons and chickens.

Hi IollaDoveLove and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm sorry your dove died, but it sounds like it wouldn't have survived anyway, whatever you did. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. But it's important to get professional assistance at an early stage from a vet or wildlife rehabber.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi IollaDoveLove and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm sorry your dove died, but it sounds like it wouldn't have survived anyway, whatever you did. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. But it's important to get professional assistance at an early stage from a vet or wildlife rehabber.

Thank you!

Delia,
Is it normal for a Mourning Dove to sit on the ground for an hour or two and not move? My little dead dove was doing that. It would sit and never move for 2-3 hours. Even the collared pigeons I feed are constantly moving and looking around...They're moving some body part 24/7. This little dove would just sit. That's all.
IollaDoveLove

Delia,
Is it normal for a Mourning Dove to sit on the ground for an hour or two and not move? My little dead dove was doing that. It would sit and never move for 2-3 hours. Even the collared pigeons I feed are constantly moving and looking around...They're moving some body part 24/7. This little dove would just sit. That's all.
IollaDoveLove
er... no it isn't normal. But I can't diagnose what was wrong with it.

Sadly it was probably too late to help it by the time you realised.

Dealing with a lot of Doves in my yard, I don't think I've ever seen one just sit on the ground for that long. I mean they'll eat seed on the ground but never just sit there not eating.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back